Novation Impulse vs. SL MK II side by side review

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
mauronedj

Re: Novation Impulse vs. SL MK II The great battle commences!

Post by mauronedj » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:49 pm

I have an MKII right now!

I owned an Impulse for a month, the Key are not very bad, but the MKII have a Fatar mechanics (I think it's the best key at the moment).

For the automap in the MKII there are many more Knob and Slider, and the quality is also better!

I think that the Impulse win only for the Feature/Price!

I'm very interested to read your review and look if you think like me :D

matthews

Post by matthews » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:12 pm

Is their even much to compare really?

Certainly review them, but I don't think you can really do a side by side comparison so to say. The MK2 is the high end and the impulse is the mid market. It would be like comparing a Ford Mustang to a Chevy Corvette.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Ya if you can afford it, I don't why someone wouldn't prefer the mkII SL. When you're talking about plug-in control, the more knobs/buttons/sliders the better.
Professional Shark Jumper.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:54 pm

You made no mention of the Remote's Ableton preset. Which is really really amazing. (With the exception of the hard choice between using that and Automap... as the staple).

Also, if I recall, the Ableton preset uses port 2. I forget, there is a video on the Novation YouTube explaining step by step. The features are extremely powerful.

Tempo control, send/volume/pan from the faders (and you can control more than 8 channels), and especially lovely, the parameters being visible for the on screen display.

TabSel

Post by TabSel » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Got a question here with the SL MkII:

What is the top left row selector button for? It unlocks the SL MkII from the currently locked device, but it doesn't lock the current selected device, is this correct?

How do I scroll horizontally through the tracks in session view? As far as I understand you can't? Instead, you midi learn the 8 tracks you want to start stop clips in and select scene up/down?

With the Maschine remote, I see a rectangle around the clips mapped to the pads. With the SLMkII I don't see such a rectangle (well, I can't select tracks clips, only scenes...) is this correct?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:39 pm

I want to help with your question. I'll have to look at it late tonight.

Funken:
I also wanted to mention that despite a few minor observations on my part, I feel it is a well written review.

I don't know how you feel about criticism, but a few things I'm curious about, since I do not have an Impulse.

I'm curious about the sustain action on the Impulse pads. And also, I forget if the Remote pads sustain in Automap mode. I assume not, they seem to be designed specifically to be triggered. The configuration allows you to designate a sustain duration to compensate for this. Also, do the Impulse pads allow for pressure control of parameters?

I am curious about the difference between actual buttons on both devices. Visual cues, feel, action.

I'm curious about the Impulse's ability as a midi only controller (as in when Automap is not implemented. If it allows for that, and its ability to control hardware devices without a computer).

This last point is just a tip. I understand that you have to make the hard decisions on accessibility, layout, loading on your website. I really love that you have the site for people to get information from it. This tip is simply, to maybe embed, or link to a couple videos showing implementation of each controller. I'm sure Novation put some effort into making their vids. It would be convenient to see the two devices in action :P

TabSel

Post by TabSel » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:08 pm

1) What is the top left row selector button for? It unlocks the SL MkII from the currently locked device, but it doesn't lock the current selected device, is this correct?

2) How do I scroll horizontally through the tracks in session view? As far as I understand you can't? Instead, you midi learn the 8 tracks you want to start stop clips in and select scene up/down?

3) With the Maschine remote, I see a rectangle around the clips mapped to the pads. With the SLMkII I don't see such a rectangle (well, I can't select tracks clips, only scenes...) is this correct?

4) How do I remap an ableton devices parameters?

condra

Re: Novation Impulse vs. SL MK II side by side review

Post by condra » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:20 pm

Looking forward to your review of the AKAI S950. Any day now..

elzinko

Post by elzinko » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:42 pm

TabSel wrote:1) What is the top left row selector button for? It unlocks the SL MkII from the currently locked device, but it doesn't lock the current selected device, is this correct?

2) How do I scroll horizontally through the tracks in session view? As far as I understand you can't? Instead, you midi learn the 8 tracks you want to start stop clips in and select scene up/down?

3) With the Maschine remote, I see a rectangle around the clips mapped to the pads. With the SLMkII I don't see such a rectangle (well, I can't select tracks clips, only scenes...) is this correct?

4) How do I remap an ableton devices parameters?

Hi!

I know it's been a long time but ... did you find a way to make this button work for locking ?

Thanks