DJ-mixing with the APC40. How to do the EQ'ing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RobertJean

DJ-mixing with the APC40. How to do the EQ'ing?

Post by RobertJean » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:56 pm

I've been DJ'ing for a couple of years but want to take it to a next level using ableton. My idea for a setup is the APC4- + Focusrite Sffire 6 as an audio interface. Kind of figured out how everything will work except for the EQing part. I'll be using 2 main channels for DJing plus sampling, acapallas on the others. But for a transition to work and to change the action from track 1 to track 2 I'll need to lower the bass on track 1 and set the bass on track 2 to 0db. How do I do that in ableton on the APC40?

I've been thinking of assigning 2 auto filters to the crossfader. All the way to the left cuts some of the bass of track one and all the way to right it cuts of bass from track 2. Is it possible to assign two functions to different parts of the fader? Or do any of youhave better ideas to do the eq'ing?

S4racen

Re: DJ-mixing with the APC40. How to do the EQ'ing?

Post by S4racen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:05 pm

custom scripts or max4live....

cheers
d

Oblivious

Post by Oblivious » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:02 pm

I finally treated myself and got an APC 40 this weekend. I quickly figured out that EQing on two seperate channels was a shortfall. I will eventually be looing into custom scripts or MaxForLive at some point in the future. But until then, I saw a solution in a YouTube video. Search "In the Studio with 4DW, APC 40, Xone, Ableton setup part A".

With your audio interface, you can send two channels out to some 4 channel mixer, a DJM for example. In this case, you might send tracks 1 and 2 in ableton out seperately from your interface to the mixer. Now these tracks are basically acting like CDJs, and you can use the full breadth of the mixer on those two channels (EQing included), while still triggering and effecting using the APC40. Your 3rd out from your interface should be used for the master out from Ableton. This will be the collection of the remaining tracks in Ableton (acapellas etc).

At this point, your DJM will have three channels coming from Ableton: "deck 1," "deck 2," and "all the rest." You can EQ or effect all three channels on the mixing board and still have full functionality/multiple hand control on the APC 40.

Hope this helps.

humancapital6

Post by humancapital6 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:54 am

Oblivious wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:02 pm
I finally treated myself and got an APC 40 this weekend. I quickly figured out that EQing on two seperate channels was a shortfall. I will eventually be looing into custom scripts or MaxForLive at some point in the future. But until then, I saw a solution in a YouTube video. Search "In the Studio with 4DW, APC 40, Xone, Ableton setup part A".

With your audio interface, you can send two channels out to some 4 channel mixer, a DJM for example. In this case, you might send tracks 1 and 2 in ableton out seperately from your interface to the mixer. Now these tracks are basically acting like CDJs, and you can use the full breadth of the mixer on those two channels (EQing included), while still triggering and effecting using the APC40. Your 3rd out from your interface should be used for the master out from Ableton. This will be the collection of the remaining tracks in Ableton (acapellas etc).

At this point, your DJM will have three channels coming from Ableton: "deck 1," "deck 2," and "all the rest." You can EQ or effect all three channels on the mixing board and still have full functionality/multiple hand control on the APC 40.

Hope this helps.
Could you tell me what modern mixer can be done with this setup? I'm looking to do exactly this setup with an apc40mkii and a djm 800 with a focusrite Scarlett 2i4?

I'm just confused about where the third out for the master would go. Is it balanced output? Since the red and white stereo outputs on the interface would go into 2 separate channels on the Djm, where does the third output come from on the interface to grab all the other clips and acapellas?

I'd love to do this setup since it's allows more creativity and expression. Thank you in advance for replying.

Post by 102455 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:52 pm

From briefly reading this very old thread that you've dug up, the key to getting three separate stereo ouputs from Live is to use an audio interface that has at least three stereo outputs.

The ones mentioned here only have two.