NI Maschine strategy is brilliant

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3dot...

NI Maschine strategy is brilliant

Post by 3dot... » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:30 pm

they absolutely took over the DM market !

they already have 4 models... (and an iphone app)
all under 1000$ ...
what seems to be a (relatively) happy user-base...
hmm...
I also know some 'Traktor' users which are real happy with current NI developments...

Tarekith

Re: NI Maschine strategy is brilliant

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:50 pm

That's cause NI is making some really nice functions available in Traktor, and some nice hardware options to control it all with.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:59 pm

I heart Maschine.

...I did not look into their updated Ableton script yet. I may just go into total nirvana soon.

......and I'm keeping an eye out on the iPad. Apple is fucking dominating the mobile audio department haha (already very happy with my iPhone!)

botstein

Post by botstein » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:03 am

I also heart Maschine.
ttilberg wrote: "Hey, Live isn't just for DJs checkin' their email, or Expiremental Dave at the astronomy theater."

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:25 am

+1 for Maschine. I like it because it is FUN.
I've been using it to sequence all percussion noises that aren't kicks or snares.

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:07 am

Love Maschine and Traktor

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:24 am

I am trying out the updated Ableton script. It is extremely well done!!!!!!

Edit: extreeeeeeeemely! (Beatpad mode with scale selection, midi note quantization selection, x-fader assign, the Launchpad/APC style border on clips, I need to get used to all this action haha)

William

Post by William » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:31 am

the_planet wrote:+1 for Maschine. I like it because it is FUN.
I've been using it to sequence all percussion noises that aren't kicks or snares.
Me too! I also love using it to house synths and write lots of different automation patterns.
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:36 am

3dot... wrote:they absolutely took over the DM market !

I agree, they've for sure without a doubt taken over the drum machine market. Just about everyone has one, including myself.

Unfortunately, my maschine lives under the table my Machinedrum and Octatrack sit on :) I swear, it's down there somewhere :)

But yeah, the maschine is still 8)

Ableton | Elektron

Music

DJTIVA

Post by DJTIVA » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:22 am

Maschine is cool but it is not awesome. There are better things out there for every part Maschine is in to. Drums are better done with a Machinedrum as this is a synth and samples can be modulated better too. Same for the Octatrack.

The sequencer of Maschine is ok but Ableton, Cubase and others are more versatile and give better options.
The instruments of Maschine are usable, real synths are way better.

I use my Maschine often but somehow it always seems like playing around on a trendy gatchet designed for newbies and teenies.

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:29 am

Yeah, but the positioning in the market is excellent.

Instead of being a direct competitor with live, they made a product that could be used instead of live in many cases, but integrated well with it, other daws and their own DJ software.

It might be good for noobs, but lets face it, so is live.

Bitwig will be even trendier. I'm cultivating a moustache in anticipation.

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Still hesitating to get one. i feel like i don't need it.

but today i noticed how easily you can browse through the samples - i am sorting all of batterys samples right now by loading them piece by piece into instrument specific kits.

man what a pita.

if it takes longer than end of this week i might go buy a maschine mikro just for that reason - saw one for 150 euros 8O
old model of course, but i assume the software upgrade works for that one too?

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:48 pm

andydes wrote:...I'm cultivating a moustache in anticipation.
LOL! That's awesome!

But, in order to be really hip, you should also find yourself a black girlfriend who looks like a 1980's Rihanna :D
Ableton | Elektron

Music

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:12 pm

DJTIVA wrote:Maschine is cool but it is not awesome. There are better things out there for every part Maschine is in to. Drums are better done with a Machinedrum as this is a synth and samples can be modulated better too. Same for the Octatrack.

The sequencer of Maschine is ok but Ableton, Cubase and others are more versatile and give better options.
The instruments of Maschine are usable, real synths are way better.
That's called your opinion and is entirely subjective.

The strength and appeal of Maschine is in the unmatched hands-on workflow due to the level of hardware/software integration.
DJTIVA wrote:I use my Maschine often but somehow it always seems like playing around on a trendy gatchet designed for newbies and teenies.
:lol: That says more about you than anything.

DJTIVA

Post by DJTIVA » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:09 pm

I always write my opinion, others may think totally different about this product and I do not have a problem with it :)

I do not say it`s crappy or anything in that direction but for me it`s not a perfect product. For me it is more important do get the exact sound I wish to have and this is often not possible with Maschine. A versatile drum synth comes mostly nearer. I must say that I only use Maschine for drums. And beside the DAW and UA-card, Maschine is one of the last things I am using that is software.

I know what I wrote may disturb some Maschine users but still it is my opinion about this product. The MKII is for me the best proof for what I mean. It is hyped all over the web and is praised now for the different colors available to match your style. Who really cares about the colors of his equipment? I would say the majority are teens as I said in my last post. For me it is more important that the piece of gear delivers the right sounds. I have my Maschine since it was released and use it frequently for some parts. My opinion is that it`s not high quality in regards of hardware and sound modulation. But due to the easy way of handling I will probably buy the new one when my MKI dies some day.

People on forums often make fast conclusions about other users with different opinions. I try to not be that way and respect other opinions.