Audible distortion in car but not in monitors & headphones

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
agent314

Re: Audible distortion in car but not in monitors & headphones

Post by agent314 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Leave your master at -0.3db or so rather than right at 0db

Also, try dialing back the volume a little bit before it hits the limiter

Limiters prevent actual gain clipping but it can still end up distorting the sound even if it's not actual hardware/speaker/harmonic distortion

bandic00t

Post by bandic00t » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:59 pm

Ok final update : it was audible in other cars, with mine being the most noisy. So I simply distorted the track even further, which caused the transients to decrease and poof, the unwanted distortion/crackle disappeared. I even added a little background white noise and while not optimal, it is more pleasant than the distortion I was getting.

Lowering the volume and setting the limiter to -0.3 removed the distortion too. But being a loudness knucklehead, I may go with my solution :D

Thanks for all your help. Very appreciated.

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:35 pm

+1 on setting the ceilling of the limitier to -0.3db.
Whats happening is the quality of the DAC on certain playback devices can vary. so that 0bd can actually be too hot for it and cause it to clip espcially when you apply some heavy handed mastering,

I have had this problem too in the past.
I dont use ozone but heres what worked for me.
set the limitert at -0.3db and then you can normalise too compensate the volume you lost. I dont think it would be need to lower the volume hitting ozone if your peaking at -9db without it, but you might want to tweak the settings in ozone though

Hope it helps