The Inspiration Myth

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oblique strategies

Re: The Inspiration Myth

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:56 am

billz270 wrote:i've been thinking i'm going to get this crazy tune some day or another. i've only been at it for about 8-9 months.. i've not come up with any crazy tunes yet.. but i know im getting better so far. and its all because i have my brain attached to the music when im working.. even if its not going well, its attached. because it eventually goes somewhere or the other. Thanks for the motivation!
Hendrix played his guitar all the time. When inspiration hit, he was ready!

tone61

Post by tone61 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:25 am

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:45 am

oblique strategies wrote:Hendrix played his guitar all the time. When inspiration hit, he was ready!
He also did an awful lot of drugs. Which killed him very young.

To quote Buddy Holly on The Young Ones though - his death 'never hurt is career any'.

Perhaps that's the secret. Be prepared to die before you reach 29 ( preferably in quite a pitifil, pathetic, unheroic way) and you will be rewarded with a lifetime of ideas in a very short space of time. Live the Rock 'n' Roll dream! For a bit...
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

c33

Post by c33 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:48 am

I agree with most of the quote. You definitely can't wait around for inspiration to hit you over the head - you gotta get to work! And the funny thing is even when inspiration does strike, it doesn't always hit you over the head, or beg you to answer the phone when it rings, so to speak. Sometimes it sorta tiptoes into the room and creeps up on you. And sometimes you get a really good thing going but for whatever reason you stop working through it, thinking the good thing will still be there the next day, and the next day, for whatever reason, it's gone. So while I agree that the work part is essential and that sometimes the best ideas can come during the process, that's certainly not always the case. And the things that "occur to you" during the process are the things inspire and propel you forward. Inspiration is the motivation and absolutely necessary for creating good art. I'm always hoping for a lot and need at least a little to keep working. A little can go a long way, but if I had none I wouldn't be making music at all.

*edited for clarity*
Last edited by c33 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:54 am

beatmunga wrote:
oblique strategies wrote:Hendrix played his guitar all the time. When inspiration hit, he was ready!
He also did an awful lot of drugs. Which killed him very young.

"Jimi Hendrix was murdered by his manager as part of an insurance scam, according to a new book by one of his former roadies."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebri ... oadie.html