Find the right bass for the music only with monitors

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
barezi6

Find the right bass for the music only with monitors

Post by barezi6 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi everyone, i will buy the krk vxt8 monitors, and i will not buy subwoofer.
When i will produce some songs is possibel to find and work on bass ?
I will need to test my song on a system with subwoofers?

I will produce electronic dance music.

Thanks community

xenomachino1

Re: Find the right bass for the music only with monitors

Post by xenomachino1 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:10 pm

You will be able to work on bass with those speakers. It shows that the frequency response goes down to 45 HZ so you're good. The thing about bass is that your studio needs to be acoustically treated correctly in order to make good decisions when mixing. The best advice i can give you is make sure you have high quality headphones that you can check the bass on as well. Maybe you'll get lucky and the bass levels will be the same in both. Good Luck!

barezi6

Post by barezi6 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:25 pm

xenomachino1 wrote:You will be able to work on bass with those speakers. It shows that the frequency response goes down to 45 HZ so you're good. The thing about bass is that your studio needs to be acoustically treated correctly in order to make good decisions when mixing. The best advice i can give you is make sure you have high quality headphones that you can check the bass on as well. Maybe you'll get lucky and the bass levels will be the same in both. Good Luck!
Thanks so much for the answer, can you give me one more help and advise me some blog or places that i can learn about the frequencies that i should use etc, because i dont understand nothing about it, i am only start producing, about the headphone i was thinking about ,pro beats or sennheiser hd25-1 ii can you tells me something about the rights headphones?

and the last thing, i can have the 100% certainly that the bass is great without using subwoofers, only use the monitors and the headphones? or i really should use subwoofers?

Thanks

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:59 pm

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... chart.html

I would go with decent headphones if I was you. I have a pair of shure srh 840 and I am pretty happy with them. Your speakers are already quite big, I would dare betting most of the users of this forum have smaller monitors and no subwoofrs. Getting bass levels right on headphones is pretty standard as it eliminates the rooms influence which xeno already stated. U should take care to get studio gear with a linear response. Those beats thingies are more like hifi phones afaik. You can get a subwoofers later if you still think u need it and have a little more experience.

Vios

Post by Vios » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:40 am

I would say a subwoofer is usually not needed with how low most studio monitor's bass range goes, and the fact that most rooms actually amplify most of the bass frequencies. Whatever frequencies are loudest in your monitors will end up being lacking in your mixes as you'll cut them out, therefore one has to be really careful when using a subwoofer that they don't have too much bass from their monitor setup because they could end up making really bass weak mixes.

I think a 2+1 setup is good for checking the bass of mixes, but most of the time isn't ideal for mixing unless you have especially tuned your system to be flat, and you know its frequency response is flat in the bass areas. You can also have strange things happen at the crossover point.

I find a lot of people new to music production want to buy subwoofers, but really they would be much better investing their money in other items when starting out. Acoustically treating the room or buying better monitors usually gets much more bang for the buck in improvement in the mixing environment.