Windows 8 DPC latency

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
doom_Oo7

Windows 8 DPC latency

Post by doom_Oo7 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi
I came across this quite intriguing thread : http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2250925

But I heard some folk from µsoft saying that the dpc latency checker on 8 was giving flawed results and that real latency was, in fact, lower than in 7.

SO, I wanted to know if someone ran real tests, for instance if you had to set the latency higher on windows 8 to achieve recording with plugins without crackles ?

*Thanks!
Ossia Score, an OSC sequencer for intermedia arts - http://www.ossia.io

3dot...

Re: Windows 8 DPC latency

Post by 3dot... » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:17 pm

we'll see when it comes out... in a couple of weeks...
I've tried it..(the preview)
and seen the constant (7 micro seconds!) :x DPC latency added...
I don't know if it's going to be there or not... but if it is.. at least it's CONSTANT.
I can spare some micro Time...

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:30 pm

I tested win 8 for other reasons and I couldn't see a good reason to switch from win 7.

Quite the opposite - it was horrible - another Vista - steer clear.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:27 pm

ian_halsall wrote: another Vista - steer clear.
I wouldn't say THAT...

to me it felt like an expanded Win7... nothing more .. nothing less..
I might still upgrade... we'll see...

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:43 pm

Have you tried switching between the 2 modes?

It's like they have dual booted win7 with windows mobile and there's some low-level switch.

Nothing seemed to work properly in win7 mode and I couldn't switch easily between the 2.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:17 pm

It's simple to switch between the desktop and the new "modern" interface, windows key + d gets you the desktop, windows key gets you to start. Windows key + x gets you most of the important menu items (run, cmd prompt, task manager, control panel, file explorer etc.)

I'm running it for a few months for everyday stuff and the occasional bit of music time I get, can't say I've come across any issues.

I haven't checked dpc latency but I can run my babyface @ 128 samples without problems, on a 2009 2.5Ghz C2D Dell XPS.

I can't say I'm a fan of the new interface but it's not unworkable and once you're on the desktop, it's pretty much the same experience as windows 7 minus Aero and the old start menu.

Didn't think there was anything wrong with Vista either and I look after 40 machines that run it 8 hours a day at a client's with very few problems.

The last really bad microsoft os was Windows ME.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Business apps don't work properly - anyway - I don't care - no idea why I am writing this.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:52 pm

ian_halsall wrote:Have you tried switching between the 2 modes?

It's like they have dual booted win7 with windows mobile and there's some low-level switch.

Nothing seemed to work properly in win7 mode and I couldn't switch easily between the 2.
never ever needed or much used the "metro" mode...
that said.. I can see how it's a good interface for touch-screens...
(I'm guessing some mod will soon come out allowing you to use Win8 with a Win7-like taskbar)
also found out how much I don't really need or use the 'start' menu at all anymore...
somewhat relieved they killed it to say the truth...
Win 8 in ol' windows mode...felt snapier graphics wise (than win7)...
also multi screen support is much better than win7...I really liked that..
as for Audio Midi VST Gaming...
everything ran just as good as on Win7... all Win7 drivers worked flawlessly on Win8 for me

UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:07 am

The DPC Latency change in Windows 8 is the result of a pretty drastic overhaul of how devices are handled internally in Windows 8, but has not yet been directly linked to issues with existing hardware. As someone already mentioned, the DPC Latency change does not directly correlate with DAW latency. In fact, I did latency tests on four different interfaces on both Win 7 and Win 8 on the same PC and got identical results.

These are the numbers for the four interfaces I tested. I wasn't able to compute the "actual" results for the Virus TI Desktop because its output latency is so slow it causes issues in the RTL Utility that does the benchmarks.

I did two separate rounds of DAW performance benchmark tests (aside from the latency tests) between Windows 7 and Windows 8 a few weeks ago. My two MOTU interfaces did really poorly on Windows 8 (up to 41% worse performance vs. Win 7), but the Virus and the NI Komplete Audio 6 did as-good-as or only-slightly-worse on Windows 8. And when I say it "performs worse on Win 8" I mean that the audio breaks up with a lower number of activated plugins or lower number of notes of polyphony than on Windows 7. Actual DAW latency, as mentioned above, is still the same.

I believe the reason the MOTU interfaces choked on Win 8 was driver-related, and look forward to testing again once MOTU does some Win 8-certified drivers. Here's the real takeaway, though: In terms of DAW performance, Win 8 will be as good as, or worse than Win 7, depending on your hardware/drivers. It will NOT be better, as some people have been hoping and implying. Even if some things, like OS or app startup seem faster, your actual DAW performance will not improve a bit. (And personally, I think the new UI is a workflow killer, so I consider Win 8 a step back.) Also- I don't think a single interface vendor has released Win 8-certified drivers yet. So at the moment it's really a gamble whether things will work out for your personal setup.

Also, you can disregard those Cakewalk/SONAR Windows 8 tests. They weren't actual benchmarks and it's already been proven that SONAR performs exactly the same on both OSes.

Oh- also, Waves plugins don't seem to work on Win 8 yet. At least I and an acquaintance of mine couldn't get ours working. A lot of Waves plugins don't work with Live anyway, though, so that might not be much of an issue.