Beatmap tempo rubato?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ctspell

Beatmap tempo rubato?

Post by ctspell » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:48 pm

Is there an easy way of having Live follow a perfomance played without click? I want record myself playing guitar, or a software instrument, without click. Then go back and find one or two good bars, set my loop points and have Live's tempo follow the loop. Is this possible?
I've been messing around with the tempo master feature but can't really wrap my head around it. Is this feature the key to achieving what I want?

yur2die4

Re: Beatmap tempo rubato?

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:03 pm

The key is warping of the clip. And there are many ways to interpret and apply it.

For one thing. In Arrangement View, you are able to set any one warped clip as a Master tempo. This forces Ableton's tempo to go at the same rate, and in time with, the clip's warp/tempo settings. This only works if you warp your clip properly. You may have to divide it into sections and just warp some of your favorite ideas.

If you don't like the 'sound' of a warped clip, but still want to use a clip as a master tempo, just duplicate the channel and run it in parallel, turning warp off on one while muting the other...... This can get very messy.

But yeah, the BIGGEST thing to learn is about warping.
First learn How to warp material. Then look at each warp marker and notice that any one that you select, shows the bpm. That bpm is what the original tempo is of your playing. Hopefully you can use that as a guideline.

With soft synths you might be recording midi. That is a bit more problematic... And you might have to convert it to audio before warping.

Any questions, ask away. I love this shit.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:38 pm

or put audio into sampler/simpler, create a midi clip with one middle c that lasts as long as you want the loop to be. fiddle around with tempo until it sounds right.

ctspell

Post by ctspell » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks guys, some good suggestions here. I'll definitaly look more into warping. Oddstep's suggestion is pretty close to what I've been doing til now; edit a clip I've recorded to make it loop in arrangement (with warping off), set up a loop (on the grid) that corresponds to the number of bars of my loop and then fiddle with the master tempo until everything matchs up. Quite tedious in other words.
I wish Live had something similar to Logic's "Adjust tempo using region length and locators", where you set the cycle locators to the number of bars of your loop. Logic then finds the tempo of the loop and sets the project tempo accordingly.

Johannes Berlin

Post by Johannes Berlin » Mon May 13, 2013 2:17 pm

ctspell wrote: I wish Live had something similar to Logic's "Adjust tempo using region length and locators", where you set the cycle locators to the number of bars of your loop. Logic then finds the tempo of the loop and sets the project tempo accordingly.
Or Pro Tools Beat Detektive....
I think audio clip wise the tempo finding routin is working but not for midi clips, thats a shame as you mostly use midi when you improvise on a keyboard...

nbyte

Post by nbyte » Mon May 13, 2013 5:07 pm

Maybe you can try this software and it is free:

http://www.circular-logic.com/products.html

On their site there is a video where someone play guitar and the software automatic adjust the tempo.
You can record your guitar playing and the tempo changes in one go ... maybe it works for you!