What plug-ins would be worth getting?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tastypants

What plug-ins would be worth getting?

Post by tastypants » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:08 am

Do any of y'all use any drum machines or anything of that sort?
The Brotherhood Shall Prevail

philipc

Re: What plug-ins would be worth getting?

Post by philipc » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Live itself is my drum machine. Obviously the right tools for you depend on your needs but I find drum racks to be mega-powerful for what I like to do.

That said, I'm a big fan of Fabfilter for delays, filters and mastering tools, U-he for synths and sound mangling effects, ValhallaDSP for modulation and reverb, MeldaProduction for panning, tremolo and so on (the Melda stuff is free, check it out). Between that lot there's not much room in my life for any more plugins. Oh, I also use Audio Damage Discord for detuning/pitch shifting and Amplitube 3 for guitar sounds. But that's about it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Geist
Addictive Drums

tintala

Post by tintala » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:00 pm

NOT CRYSONIC THEY SUCKS ASS!!!!!!!! FALSE ADVERTISING and THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS WORSE THAN SHIT!

I am still livid with them..

But I like Camel Audio and audio damage.

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Ableton Live has so many built-in features and plug-ins so one could do a lot of creative work from the box. However, some additional plug-ins might help out such as a generic mastering plug-in such as Ozone 5. And a good VA synth, Massive, Diva, Zebra, any Arturia Moog clones and so on.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:50 pm

tastypants wrote:Do any of y'all use any drum machines or anything of that sort?

Hit the edit button on your original post and change the subject line to "what drum plug-ins would be worth getting?".

Otherwise this thread is going to consist of a list of every plug-in of every type from every developer that has been released since 2007. :x

morbid

Post by morbid » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:58 am

Impulse is a rock solid drum machine

People who moan that its too limited aren't creative enough with it. The limitations keep me working in new ways.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:42 am

Using drum racks and simpler gives you a lot of options with Live itself.

Search on "kick" and then drag the whole lot into a drum rack and save the preset - a huge selection of kicks.

Same with hi hats, snares,claps.

Then it comes down to sample libraries - there are so many - I mean seriously how many different kick drum sounds can a human audibly differentiate?

Try "Larry Adler's pro beats session killer drums - over 400 terabytes of the most creatively micd and pristinely recorded drums".

Seriously - I like the Sonarte percussion and the usual range of 909, 808....