More than one Master Out?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
turnstylenyc

More than one Master Out?

Post by turnstylenyc » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi all, I'm still getting up to speed so I'm probably missing something obvious -- that said, any help is much appreciated...

My USB computer interface/mixer has independent main/phones/line outputs -- and each shows up as a separate selection in Live's Master Output dropdown menu.

How can I get Live to send audio to more than one (or all three) outputs?

And, for example, if I want to specify outputs on a track-by-track basis, how do I go about that? (eg, if I want a live mic to go to one output, but not another.)

If there's a specific tutorial I should study please just let me know (I'm new not just to Live, but to DAWs, so I'm not quite sure what to look for).

Thanks!

MusicIsMath

Re: More than one Master Out?

Post by MusicIsMath » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Click the small I/O icon on the right hand side next to the master fader.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Yeah click the i-o.

I have 2 stereo pairs - one for monitoring on headphones and one for the master.

I am not sure that you can send the master output through more than 1 stereo pair though I could be wrong.

Why would you want to duplicate the master onto both of your stereo pairs anyway?

If you just want to send it to another amp then you might be better with a splitter or a cheap hardware submixer.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:38 pm

ian_halsall wrote:
I am not sure that you can send the master output through more than 1 stereo pair though I could be wrong.
Actually, you can. Just make a Rack on the Master channel with chains containing External Instruments. On each chain you can set your External Instrument to output to whatever you want.

Just remember to switch this routing off when rendering inside Live.

I use this to output to my monitors and sub separately so I can make my own crossover.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:30 pm

There you go - I was wrong!

Good tip as well...

turnstylenyc

Post by turnstylenyc » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Sorry, I'm still pretty green with this.

If I want the Master Out to go to both "1/2" and "3/4" what's the way to do that?

Thanks kindly!

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:02 pm

turnstylenyc wrote:Sorry, I'm still pretty green with this.

If I want the Master Out to go to both "1/2" and "3/4" what's the way to do that?

Thanks kindly!
No problem. Create an External Instrument on the master channel. PC (Right click) / MAC (CTRL Click) on the External Instrument's bar to get a menu -> choose group. You have now created a Rack with the External Instrument as one of its chains.

Read more on racks / chains in the manual -> Chapter 17 :Instrument, Drum and Effect Racks

Duplicate the chain to have two chains, each containing an External Instrument. Now simply route the "Audio To" in one External Instrument to 1/2 and to 3/4 in the other.

So now you have the sound being split (by the Rack) into two identical signals (1 for each chain), each going out to a different output (via each External Instrument).

turnstylenyc

Post by turnstylenyc » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks for that -- but I think perhaps I'm not asking the right question.

My computer interface shows up with three output choices: 1/2 is the Main Out to my monitors, 3/4 is the Phones Out, and 5/6 is the Line Out (which I sometimes send to a video camera's Line In).

Is there a "correct" way to send Live's output to all of them at the same time?

Thanks kindly for helping.

harold23

Post by harold23 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:55 pm

It's only been eight years so I'll have a crack at answering this.

As far as I can tell you can't simply duplicate output across channels in preferences, which would be the intuitive and easy way of doing things.

An easy way to do it is by creating an "External Audio Effect" (not an External Instrument as the previous poster suggested).

Alternatively you could create a separate channel and set the input to master and the output to external 3/4 etc.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:14 am

Are you on a Mac? I think you can create an imaginary audio device with Mac settings, and connect its outputs to your audio interface.

If so, check out the program called Audio MIDI Setup; do some web searching. Is that maybe something that could work for you?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:27 am

mighty necro!

if you just want duplicate outputs, i prefer to use extra audio tracks/channels, as that way you have metering all the time.

if you want to be able to create submixes, then use return tracks/channels instead, and use the sends to set up the submixes...

smokeyjack

Post by smokeyjack » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:21 am

harold23 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:55 pm
It's only been eight years so I'll have a crack at answering this.

As far as I can tell you can't simply duplicate output across channels in preferences, which would be the intuitive and easy way of doing things.

An easy way to do it is by creating an "External Audio Effect" (not an External Instrument as the previous poster suggested).

Alternatively you could create a separate channel and set the input to master and the output to external 3/4 etc.
HOLY SH****T!!!! THIS GUY RIGHT HERE!!!^^^^^^^ THANK YOU!!!

smokeyjack

Post by smokeyjack » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:22 am

fishmonkey wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:27 am
mighty necro!

if you just want duplicate outputs, i prefer to use extra audio tracks/channels, as that way you have metering all the time.

if you want to be able to create submixes, then use return tracks/channels instead, and use the sends to set up the submixes...
ALSO THIS GUY!!!^^^^^^^ NEVER KNEW HOW TO DO "SUBMIXES" BEFORE!! THANK YOU!!