question about a question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sebastian

question about a question

Post by Sebastian » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:19 am

when exiting a Live set Live will ask me if I would lieke to delete the temporary filles?

Have no idea if yes or no, dont undesrtand what this is for

couldnt fiind in manual, I swear, pls dont hit me daddy ;)
Live Suite 9, RME Fireface 800, Mac Book Pro, Sierra

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:21 am

if you did any resampling or direct recording into an audio channel, a temporary audio file was made, and the clip that references that file has been deleted.

so basically theres audio files you have made that aren't referenced in your .als Live Set. Live is asking you "hey you made this audio file, but you aren't using it in your project - do you want me to delete it or not?"

typically the answer is YES because it will only ask you if its a sound that you aren't using in your project at that current moment.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:24 am

cool, thanks. how nice of Live to ask! ;)

nobody asks me anything no mo. ask me pls ask me!

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:38 am

Microsoft asks you on a regular basis, where do you want to go today?

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:39 am

sweetjesus wrote:Microsoft asks you on a regular basis, where do you want to go today?
"back to OSX" was usually my answer

supster

Post by supster » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:16 am

Sebastian wrote:cool, thanks. how nice of Live to ask! ;)

nobody asks me anything no mo. ask me pls ask me!

careful, if you do sound design and have things in there that are not referenced by clips, answering "yes" will lose all of your work
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:08 pm

sound design...? is that like decorating my speakers? ;)

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:24 pm

Well... more like if you are creating your own samples a lot.

As an example of why you would want to say no to this... and I said yes... *doh*

Let us say that you create a song "Awesome Beats"... all it has in it is break beats and nothing else.

Later you create a song "Breakbeat Revolution"... you use a few of the loops from the "Awesome Beats" directory and loops from your loop library. This is all cool so far and everything jives. What you *should* do is save as self contained for "Breakbeat Revolution"... however, in my case I didn't.

There are at least two issues with not saving "Breakbeat Revolution" as self contained and both have to do with forgetting that it uses samples out of "Awesome Beats".

1) If you go into "Awesome Beats" and click edit on one of the samples that happens to be used in "Breakbeat Revolution" then you will be changing "Breakbeat Revolution" samples as well. I would be willing to bet that 99% of the time this is absolutely not what you want to do.

2) If you go into "Awesome Beats" and delete a clip that is used by "Breakbeat Revolution"... well there isn't any issue immediately, but when you close "Awesome Beats" it will ask you if you want to delete any unused temporary files... if you answer yes you have just ruined "Breakbeat Revolution" because it no longer can get the sample out of "Awesome Beats".

As I had said... you really should just do the save as self contained as often as possible. Yes it takes up space, but not doing it has caused me plenty of headaches that could have been avoided.

Greg

DJALEX

Post by DJALEX » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:19 pm

AdamJay wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:Microsoft asks you on a regular basis, where do you want to go today?
"back to OSX" was usually my answer
-----------------------------------------------------------
:) :) :lol: :lol: :D :D :P :P :wink: :wink:
Live 6 - Reason 3 - Fruity Loops - Acid - Sound Forge 7 - UC-33 - BCF 2000 - KeyStation 61 - Arkaos - Sony Vaio lap

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:40 pm

Gaspode's explanation is worthy of being entered into the Yee Oldee Ableton University Grand Explanation Textbook.

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:44 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:Gaspode's explanation is worthy of being entered into the Yee Oldee Ableton University Grand Explanation Textbook.
Heh... too many "Learning to work with India" classes and "How to deal with High context cultures in a low context society" classes I guess.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:45 am

riveting performance gaspode, explosive!

thanks, was helpful