How many Sydney, Australia folks use live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sweetjesus

How many Sydney, Australia folks use live?

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:42 am

topic says it all.

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:59 am

Not Sydney... but up near Byron....

Putting together a new band and Sydney will probably be the main area
where ppl will dig it so I'll let you know if I'm down there.

-Ben

Vicious

Post by Vicious » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:20 am

Seems this is the second time I'll say this today...

I'm just starting to use it :P

forge

Post by forge » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:33 am

MrYellow wrote:Not Sydney... but up near Byron....

Putting together a new band and Sydney will probably be the main area
where ppl will dig it so I'll let you know if I'm down there.

-Ben
Let me know if you come up to Bris Vegas seeing as you're pretty close

what music you doing?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:37 am

forge, you finally moved to brisbane?@?!?!?@?!!?@@?!@?

Was that you or Martyn who was contemplating that?

forge

Post by forge » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:08 am

sweetjesus wrote:forge, you finally moved to brisbane?@?!?!?@?!!?@@?!@?

no - twas I! It just worked out that way really - only place I still have family so we had a place to stay and when there's 3 of us the whole thing of paying to stay somewhere while we get set up is a big deal.....not to mention my little boy has cousins to play with here!

Strange city though Brisbane - Like one big Suburb and really hard to figure out where all the good bits are(!) but it's in a nice part of the country and it's good to get down the coast and Byron's only 1 1/2 - 2 hours away which is worth it in itself.

Not to mention by an amazing bit of fluke a local game developer is currently looking for sound designers - been to the interview and feel like I'm in with a chance - so it might be fate!

Just a shame it's not a nicer place! There seems to be far more nutters than there should be for it's population - you seldom walk down the street without some ZZ-top bearded freak walking past swearing to himself.

It's weird - kind of feels like I've stepped back in time to the days of the wild west and gold prospecters - loads of the ZZ top beards and buildings that look like you'd walk in and find a honky tonk piano player and mean cowboys playing cards

it's got alot of potential as a city but no one seems to have got it much together to tap it yet. Maybe that's a good thing though - best years ahead of it!

And we've got a great house - huge, with a massive room for a studio and I like the weather - it's really nice just getting up, whacking on shorts and a t-shirt and knowing it's going to be pretty much the same as yesterday!

Cant help thinking we still might end up down your way or Melbourne at some point though!

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:20 am

you seldom walk down the street without some ZZ-top bearded freak
walking past swearing to himself.
Sample! :-D

Once saw a guy in Sydney who was saying something about cutting my
arm off and shoving a cat up my ass :-) Soooo wish I had a recorder for
it!

Brisbane is odd.... It's like 3 blocks and they call it a city.

-Ben

forge

Post by forge » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:32 am

MrYellow wrote:[

-Ben
no that's exactly the point - it goes on forever - but it's all suburbia - it's really hard to figure out which bit is the city. Went out in the valley last thursday though and it was heaving

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:39 am

-Ben
It's pretty weird isn't it! I was sent up there for work last year and it was like being in some sort of weird movie world. Great weather everyday, scantily dressed chicks all over the joint... In the mornings business people walk to work wearing suits even tho its already heating up. Very little traffic! It took about 15 minutes to get to work in peak hour, from a hotel near the valley to the other side of the city. In Sydney it took about 1 hour to get somewhere that was 15 kilometres away :(

I wish Melbourne was a little more laid back and had weather like up north :)

beateater

I'll be up that way

Post by beateater » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:56 am

I'm a breaks artist based in Melbourne.
I'll be heading up to Brizzy on the 17th for a 'holiday' and a gig on the 23rd at a club called 'Milk Bar'.
The night will feature myself (Scrambler) doing a live set using Ableton Live and the Novation Remote 25. Also on the bill are Keltec and Mangan, two more Melbournian DJ's.
Should be a fun night.
The following week I'll be gigging in Cairns . Anyone from around there?

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:14 am

forge wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:forge, you finally moved to brisbane?@?!?!?@?!!?@@?!@?

no - twas I! It just worked out that way really - only place I still have family so we had a place to stay and when there's 3 of us the whole thing of paying to stay somewhere while we get set up is a big deal.....not to mention my little boy has cousins to play with here!

Strange city though Brisbane - Like one big Suburb and really hard to figure out where all the good bits are(!) but it's in a nice part of the country and it's good to get down the coast and Byron's only 1 1/2 - 2 hours away which is worth it in itself.

Not to mention by an amazing bit of fluke a local game developer is currently looking for sound designers - been to the interview and feel like I'm in with a chance - so it might be fate!

Just a shame it's not a nicer place! There seems to be far more nutters than there should be for it's population - you seldom walk down the street without some ZZ-top bearded freak walking past swearing to himself.

It's weird - kind of feels like I've stepped back in time to the days of the wild west and gold prospecters - loads of the ZZ top beards and buildings that look like you'd walk in and find a honky tonk piano player and mean cowboys playing cards

it's got alot of potential as a city but no one seems to have got it much together to tap it yet. Maybe that's a good thing though - best years ahead of it!

And we've got a great house - huge, with a massive room for a studio and I like the weather - it's really nice just getting up, whacking on shorts and a t-shirt and knowing it's going to be pretty much the same as yesterday!

Cant help thinking we still might end up down your way or Melbourne at some point though!

Oh well some of us did SUGGEST MELBOURNE :lol: .

Oh and in reply to your thread - nope but a Melbourne lad here ( well I live in Frankston Sth these day's ) - Haven't seen Carl Cox yet but he probably lives the posh end and not the shitfully broke end of Frankston Sth :( .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

forge

Post by forge » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:51 am

FaX-01 wrote:
Oh well some of us did SUGGEST MELBOURNE :lol: .

and so has pretty much everyone we've spoken to in the entire universe - the picture we're getting of Melbourne by now is of some utopian paradise where the streets are gold and your free beer is brought to you by bikini clad concubines.

Melbourne's obviously doing something right because everybody goes on about how good it is - and we're definitely keen to check it out, but one step at a time - just the act of getting here used up the majority of our cash (oh and one thing you find out when you shack up with foreign birds and try to bring em back is they charge you over 2 grand to get them a medical check and temporary visa which lasts 2 years then we have to apply for a permenant one! - dont know if we'll have to pay the same for that one too!)

So I think it's working and getting some cash up before we can think about moving to the apparent cultural mecca that is Melbourne! Either that or turn Brisbane into another one.....

BEATEATER: I'll try and come along to that - seen a couple of interesting things advertised for the milk bar so been wanting to check it out anyway

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:37 am

lol they go on about how good it is to take their mind of the terrible weather :-D

-Ben

forge

Post by forge » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:41 am

MrYellow wrote:lol they go on about how good it is to take their mind of the terrible weather :-D

-Ben
:lol: probably!

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:41 am

I don't know why they go on about it either. And I'm in Melbourne now :?

Maybe I should get out of the studio more often :lol: