VST3 support in Live 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Napole0n

VST3 support in Live 9?

Post by Napole0n » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:05 pm

I've been begging for it for a couple of years, but it never made it into Ableton Live 8.x, and I can't read anything about it in the 'New in Live 9' bits, so I thought I'd ask here: will Live 9 feature VST3 support?

Thanks.

doom_Oo7

Re: VST3 support in Live 9?

Post by doom_Oo7 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:08 pm

Let's hope so, some plugins just haven't got a vst2 mode anymore due to technical restrictions...
Ossia Score, an OSC sequencer for intermedia arts - http://www.ossia.io

Napole0n

Post by Napole0n » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:18 pm

Yeah, for me it's mainly the Motif XS editor plug-in I want to use.

Regardless whether VST3 support will be in there, I just bought the upgrade to Suite 8 with a free upgrade to Live 9 Suite later to celebrate anyway :)

TBAAV

Post by TBAAV » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:50 pm

This would indeed be nice to know. Overall I think they should give a bit more information about what's happened "under the hood."

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:52 pm

I want to know this as well. It should definitely support VST3. There are growing number of products that are coming out as VST3 and not 2.4.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Napole0n

Post by Napole0n » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:05 am

Anybody on the Ableton develop/support team who could answer this please?

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:40 am

VST3 support - forget that !!!

...also... : No bridge for 32bit plugins in 64bit version !(I'm sure they'd mention it if there was one)

Live 9 has not much to offer, except Push, which purpose is to catch the customers of hardware,
and bind those to Ableton, because those hardly switch to other DAW
when they've invested money into this new Software/Hardware-combination.

As needed, they improved the software and "audio quality", which was so good all these years,
that I ask myself why that was needed if everything was so fine all the time.

The very few additional effects and enhancements are looking like little additions,
just to present something and to not present anything at all...(which is very lame...) !

If you're not hyped about Push(like many folks are now), you have nothing special in Live 9 !
I have Glue as VST, I have a Gate and Limiters already and EQ's that are so much ahead of EQ8...
I can comfortably stay with Live8 !

So many things announced in Bitwig makes Live 9 look so far behind.
Nothing in Live 9 makes me wanting it so badly.
I understand all the DJ's and that they all love to have Push.
But for me..., doing sound design is Live 8 totally up to date.
Thanks... Abe's saved me some money...

In case Bitwig really comes out to be cool as promised, we all know what's going to happen...
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

Napole0n

Post by Napole0n » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:17 am

simpli.cissimus wrote: In case Bitwig really comes out to be cool as promised, we all know what's going to happen...
Yeah, people will start bitching about bugs and missing features there too - like not supporting Audio Units on Mac which is quite a baffling decision.

It's an illusion that any software package will ever be perfect, unfortunately. All we can do is pester the creators enough to get the features we want in there!

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:27 am

simpli.cissimus wrote: Yeah, people will bitch about missing features there - like not supporting Audio Units on Mac which is quite a baffling decision.

It's an illusion that any software package will ever be perfect, unfortunately. All we can do is pester the creators enough to get the features in!
That's true...!

But when I look at things like single midi note automation,
which comes close to be like expressions,
or audio and midi on one track.
This seems to be the way DAW's should operate.

In this are Bitwig promise to be ahead and offer more in depth features
with a similar environment like Live.
If the quality and stability matches Live, it will come closer
to a perfect DAW then any DAW right now.

My point is just to mention, that after so many announcements from competitors,
Live 9 brings almost nothing to compete...
Push is really all they've offer, but that will pull many people,
and in the mind of business a very strong move.

Take Push out and have a look at all what Live 9 has to offer,
...and tell me it's enough...!!!

Acid303

Post by Acid303 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:37 pm

Audio to midi is a pretty big feature (if it works well). It's the additional features that the controller brings to live too (other than just standard hardware control) - like pressure sensitivity (polyphonic aftertouch?) and being able to play and jam in key easily (similar to owning c-thru music axis or linnstrument, step sequence etc. The new plug in updates are nice but not revolutionary or special - just remind me a bit of the fabfilter stuff. Clip automation is excellent and the curve automation is better (although both should have been there all along really). Other than that I guess there isn't a great deal if you're not into push...but how can you not be into push?

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:51 pm

Acid303 wrote:Audio to midi is a pretty big feature (if it works well). It's the additional features that the controller brings to live too (other than just standard hardware control) - like pressure sensitivity (polyphonic aftertouch?) and being able to play and jam in key easily (similar to owning c-thru music axis or linnstrument, step sequence etc. The new plug in updates are nice but not revolutionary or special - just remind me a bit of the fabfilter stuff. Clip automation is excellent and the curve automation is better (although both should have been there all along really). Other than that I guess there isn't a great deal if you're not into push...but how can you not be into push?

See..., in all my complaining I was almost forgetting this...!
Sorry about that !!!
I like that feature very much and think it's a great idea and very well designed !
Worth to be honored !!!

Casual Beats

Post by Casual Beats » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:41 pm

[quote="Acid303"]Audio to midi is a pretty big feature (if it works well). It's the additional features that the controller brings to live too (other than just standard hardware control) - like pressure sensitivity (polyphonic aftertouch?)[quote]

negative on the Polyphonic aftertouch with Push - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=186005&start=0

if you would like to see PA supported, definitely add your voice to this thread - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69095

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:59 pm

New features are great, but pelase abe's, let us know.... VST3???

I'm worried that lack of answer means no. But I guess we can't expect them to chime on every topic. It's gotta have VST3 support though, c'mon..
Professional Shark Jumper.

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:23 am

If there was any VST3 support you'd already know about it.

There isn't..., that's it !
Wait for Live 12...

Napole0n

Post by Napole0n » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:07 am

Just got a reply from Ableton support. No VST3 on release of Live 9, "might come with a later update" - "can't promise anything".

Alas. I guess the pestering will continue!