LIVE 9 : PDC IMPROVED OR NOT ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beatmunga

Re: LIVE 9 : PDC IMPROVED OR NOT ?

Post by beatmunga » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
merges wrote:I don't think they were ever here…
I think they're gonna be here, in a big way with loads of moderation. they're already doing damage control from the forum by hiding it. they're a publicly held company and I'm sure the board would rather make money than enable the freedom of speech that's gone on here for years.
What a guy...

Sleep well tonight, Mr. Deft.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:30 pm

Sorry to interrupt the love-fest, but does the automation issue occur with an soft synth with high latency? Or just effects? And does it affect only the track containing the plug-in with latency? Since Live compensates the audio to match across tracks, then I would imagine that all automation would become ahead of the delayed signal. Am I getting this right?
Professional Shark Jumper.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:54 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote: Since Live compensates the audio to match across tracks, then I would imagine that all automation would become ahead of the delayed signal. Am I getting this right?
wouldn't that cause it to be self correcting?

:?

petit nuage

Post by petit nuage » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:14 pm

@theophilius : thanks ...it is what i understood.
so working at high sample rate plus well selection of 3rd party plug with SWITCHABLE oversampling ...
thing i never look at before :D

MrFingerDrums

Post by MrFingerDrums » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:25 pm

Ablebum Lie 9 Shite

petit nuage

Post by petit nuage » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:34 pm

more constructive please ...

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:43 am

theophilus wrote:
sdfak1234 wrote:What you've gone and done here is write a lengthy explanation about plugin delay compensation as it stands, we are clearly talking about plugin delay compensation for AUTOMATION, automation is not being compensated - why would you need a mode to correctly compensate written automation?. You've also gone on to write about this live mode vs producer mode thing with no explanation for why you'd need such a feature.. I think you are talking about a mode for audio latency, that is not what we are talking about...
fair enough. apologize if it sounded condescending, didn't mean it that way. but audio latency IS automation latency... they are tied together. audio latency = how far the audio is from the original control signal that caused/modified it. when you insert that 64 sample device, you are ALSO adding a 64 sample delay between your automation curve and its effect. they are one and the same thing.

it's not that hard really, but it does have live impacts - any time you add or remove something to the set, to do it properly, you may need to recalculate delays for every track and device in the system. i think the live method limits the impact to just the track, at the exchange of having everything possibly out of sync. maybe not a good tradeoff, i don't know.

honestly, i think it's just that their current model only has a track delay, and they really need a delay for every device. that doesn't seem impossible.
I think adding latency plugin doesn't necessarily have to stop audio stream. When plugin added DAW just need to move forward the position of the marker (this marker isn't what user is seeing.). By using proper amount of CPU usage DAW could render faster than usual to increase as same length of buffer as the delay added by the plugin without stopping audio stream.

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:15 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Cool Character wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:My favorite company has a serious problem that they've known about for years, and have yet to address the issue.
Tone Deft wrote:I know! I'll blame the people complaining about it.
being an asshole does nothing to help the cause. if anything you're pushing Ableton developers away from this thread.
Maybe you should try being Mr.Grumpy in the other direction.

Oh wait, you're too worried that saying negative things will lead to your loss of freedom of speech!
Good reasoning. Stick to it.

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:42 am

Whatever your view on PDC etc., it is undoubtedly showing Ableton in a bad light. Almost all of the threads on KVR and Gearslutz that start about Live 9 end up just discussing PDC with the haters posting that it is a broken DAW and the fanboys struggling to defend this particular aspect. It will put off prospective buyers who read forums, it is all over the forums- I know the Abes are busy with the live 9 beta and new web site, but this is escalating....post a statement, ignoring the situation will make it worse.
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

login

Post by login » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:06 am

This pretty much reminds me of wow forums.

petit nuage

Post by petit nuage » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:59 am

this thread is just a legitimate question coming from a loyal user about live 9.
apparently lot of people are interested by this question and especially the answer .

this was asked to ableton or beta tsters.
i have had no answers or infos from ableton but some beta testers give us that info :at the moment the pdc isnt fixed ..

so ableton showing themselves in bad light ..i would prefer, obviously, that beta testers announces us that pdc is finally fixed and that we celebrate the new version !
i love live and i would like that ableton makes us happy and proud to have finally a complete professional daw (pdc side) with this new version : thats it!

if this pdc issue was fixed, maybe the never ending ableton sound quality/audio engine would be closed too !!!
so asking for an improved timing/sound quality in a professional daw in 2013 seems to be pretty normal/standard no ? (cubase:2003)

so one question : why ableton dont fix it ? 3 YEARRS ?
timing/sound quality should be an absolute priority for a professional daw no ?
so really i dont understand ...have they not enough debats about live sound quality , pdc or sample rate conversion ?

as loyal user i have enough to read threads about live sound quality on the net .
i have paid for it and i love it as my main professional daw soo thats annoys/upsets me . (excuse my poor english )

plus this thread and the pdc poll on the forum, and others threads about it on the net shows that a lot of people want an improved pdc for this version.
so ableton are informed about that big expectation and its a good thing, so we see what they will do .
Last edited by petit nuage on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:14 am, edited 9 times in total.

RD444

Post by RD444 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:23 am

petit nuage wrote:this thread is just a legitimate question coming from a loyal user about live 9.
this question was asked to ableton or beta tsters.
i have had no answers or infos from ableton but some beta testers give us that info :pdc isnt fixed ..

so ableton showing themselves in a bad light...i would prefer, obviously, that beta testers announces us that pdc is finally fixed and that we celebrate the new version !

if this pdc issue was fixed, maybe the never ending ableton sound quality/audio engine would be closed too !!!
so asking for an improved timing/sound quality in a professional daw in 2013 seems to be normal/standard no ? (cubase:2003)

so one question : why ableton dont fix it ? 3 YEARRS ?
timing/sound quality should be an absolute priority for a professional daw no ?
so really i dont understand ...
i agree 100%

its funny how companies just don't give a shit if there is no serious competition.

one day competition will arrive and Ableton will spend 'a weekend' fixing it

that about the strength of it.
"Plugin Delay compensation -PDC WARNING - Ableton Live 9 does not sequence all information correctly in time"
The bigger the project the more out of time it will be.

petit nuage

Post by petit nuage » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:09 am

:D

petit nuage

Post by petit nuage » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:36 am

because for me the more important it to stay positive and constructive :

if live 9 dont have the day of its release its pdc improved; IMO, a good trade-off would be that ableton tell us that an 9.2 update by exple will be released as soon as possible with that finally solved !

personally i would find that interesting ...

paulmaddox

Post by paulmaddox » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:37 am

petit nuage wrote: if live 9 dont have the day of its release its pdc improved; IMO, a good trade-off would be that ableton tell us that an 9.2 update by exple will be released as soon as possible with that finally solved !

personally i would find that interesting ...
Definitely - remaining silent is not doing Ableton any favours at all.