Push means APC40 is redundant right?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
dixie237

Re: Push means APC40 is redundant right?

Post by dixie237 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:46 am

funken wrote: No I mean say I have 2 clips in the same track and one is playing, but I want to select the other one so I can see it's waveform on the screen.
Ah I see. No you cant do that as default setup, but the Isotonik stuff looks good.
If you dont have Max, then the nativecontrol guys look like they do some amazing maps.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:01 am

funken wrote: Not got M4L but tell me more about it anyway, I can still erm, you know, write stuff about it.
Isotonik allows this in two ways, if the clip you want to look at is in the clip grid of the APC40 you can use a modifier button and press that pad and it will take the view to that of the clip without triggering it...

If the clip you want to look at is outside of the clip launching grid you can press and hold the track select button and it'll jump to it moving the grid with it... I think Touchable also does this, it's very handy as a feature and shouldve been standard!

Cheers
D

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:47 pm

Hey S4racen, anything up your clever sleeve with regards to this problem I highlighted earlier in the thread?
beatmunga wrote: One big problem with the APC though - if you only use 2 virtual 'decks', why can't we have the first 4 tracks of the APC all showing 20 clips of 'left deck 1', with the last 4 doing the same for 'right deck'? Only being able to see 5 clips at once is a real pain if you like chopping up your dj tines into smaller chunks for live dj edits - you need to be able to see all clips available without scrolling!

Wish I was clever enough to learn Max programming...
I want multiple tracks on the APC to act as one big monophonic track, so that only 1 clip can play at a time.

It would be straight out with the cheque card if Isotonik let me do this!
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:22 pm

102455 wrote:Maybe Ableton will release a DJ version and call it the Slide...

:lol:
or perhaps ableton shove!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:35 pm

beatmunga wrote:Hey S4racen, anything up your clever sleeve with regards to this problem I highlighted earlier in the thread?
beatmunga wrote: One big problem with the APC though - if you only use 2 virtual 'decks', why can't we have the first 4 tracks of the APC all showing 20 clips of 'left deck 1', with the last 4 doing the same for 'right deck'? Only being able to see 5 clips at once is a real pain if you like chopping up your dj tines into smaller chunks for live dj edits - you need to be able to see all clips available without scrolling!

I want multiple tracks on the APC to act as one big monophonic track, so that only 1 clip can play at a time.

Nope, you're wishing for the impossible on that one... You'd need to write a python script with 8 seperate control surfaces, Ableton only has five available so it's impossible....

Cheers
D

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:04 pm

S4racen wrote:
beatmunga wrote:Hey S4racen, anything up your clever sleeve with regards to this problem I highlighted earlier in the thread?

Nope, you're wishing for the impossible on that one... You'd need to write a python script with 8 seperate control surfaces, Ableton only has five available so it's impossible....

Cheers
D
So what about this then?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=186170&view=next

How does ClyphX mange for free what M4L and your enterprise state as 'impossible'?
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Im not sure how that solves the problem, how's that going to give feedback to the APC40?

Maybe i'm missing the point of what you're trying to acheive, Python gives the feedback to the APC40, not M4L...

Enlighten me?

Cheers
D

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:21 pm

S4racen wrote:Im not sure how that solves the problem, how's that going to give feedback to the APC40?

Maybe i'm missing the point of what you're trying to acheive, Python gives the feedback to the APC40, not M4L...

Enlighten me?

Cheers
D
I dunno about communication to/from the device, you're the expert... I don't even know what Python is. The Knights Who Say Nii?

I just want to show more than a paltry 5 clips at a time per track on my APC, especially if I'm only using two tracks. Seems pretty straightforward from the user end.

Should be possible. Anyone up to the challenge? Isotonik has categorically thrown the towel in at the first hurdle...

freqn

Post by freqn » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:39 pm

funken wrote:So what happens when push comes to shove?
This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lD1rL-ions

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:55 pm

beatmunga wrote:Should be possible. Anyone up to the challenge? Isotonik has categorically thrown the towel in at the first hurdle...

a little harsh, no?

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:47 am

"Impossible" is a harsh word, isn't it?

No offence to Isotonik guy, he's made his stance clear. But I live in hope...

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:22 am

beatmunga wrote:"Impossible" is a harsh word, isn't it?

No offence to Isotonik guy, he's made his stance clear. But I live in hope...
From a Max4live point of view i stand by impossible, max4live merely accesses the Python Remote script of the controller, disabling and redirecting controls if neccessary, i just didn't want you to go down a route of paying someone to acheive it in this manner....

In Ableton you can build any size and shape redbox that you'd like, maybe it's possible with Python (which is a programming language used by ableton to access and control Ableton on a ground level with midi controllers) to create a 2 x 20 grid and then have it reference onto the APC40 for the first four and then second four rows... Python people would have to jump in here or you're going to have to learn how to code it (Hanz_Petrov is the guru on this and has just been announced worked closely on Push with Akai and Ableton)

I know it's possible to create single rows of 1 x 5 and have each as a different slot on the control surfaces in ableton but that would not be a solution as i mentioned you are limited to the five slots?

I think it would be a wicked way of playing as i've been using the method of the mega set since i got the apc40 and have ended up breaking my tracks down to just five sections which isn't as intuitive as i'd like, as a result i now trigger on the Launchpad and the APC40 handles looping and effects etc. Looking at the push though with the RGB feedback of the clips i think it will be amazing for DJIng with!!

Cheers
D

ps no offense taken ;-)

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:00 am

Cheers S4racen, that clears a lot up.

Of course, what would sort this issue would be the work of minutes for Ableton - allow a function for grouped tracks to only play one clip at a time (monophonic mode).

We'd be laughing, then...

Your product does look great by the way... may well be a stocking filler this year!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:56 am

I'd agree with you but the early work of Hanz would point to Ableton learning the ropes themselves as the hardware developed... The APC40 is a nightmare to hack with M4L because it was designed before M4L and so some stuff is impossible, you can disable the stop buttons but not re-enable them for instance...

As Push has been developed after the age of M4L i'm genuinely excited for the possibilities it presents!

I must admit i'm lost on what you mean by monophobic mode, i get the massive clip broken into 20 sections totally...

God i cant wait to get my hands on a Push!!

Cheers
D

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:07 pm

S4racen wrote:I must admit i'm lost on what you mean by monophobic mode, i get the massive clip broken into 20 sections totally...
Monophobic. Like that! Fear of an SH101.

Anyway, this is what I mean

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=186595

Just want a clip playing on ( let's say) track 1, to stop when a new clip is started on say, track 3 (if they were assigned to a group where this option was enabled...)

Like a closed hat 'choking' an open, I suppose. That way you don't have to worry about stopping a clip whilst starting another. Just like on a singe track...