APC40 v.s PUSH

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Matt_Quinn

Re: APC40 v.s PUSH

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:13 pm

And yes, there is a button in the upper right for 'Pan/Send'. I have to imagine you hit that, and the knobs then function like track control knobs on the APC.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:17 pm

Matt_Quinn wrote:And yes, there is a button in the upper right for 'Pan/Send'. I have to imagine you hit that, and the knobs then function like track control knobs on the APC.
thats exactly it.

Tunecrew

Post by Tunecrew » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Matt_Quinn wrote:It looks like the knobs will control track volume, which IMO is even better than faders, since as you scroll through tracks, there won't be a disconnect between where the physical faders are & where the on screen volume is.
I still prefer faders - motorized would be nice still.
Live 9 Suite
Macbook Pro (Mid-2015 15" 2.8 GHz i7 1 TB Radeon GPU)
APC-40

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:29 pm

mharris wrote:Its a shame the APC40 is so bulky though.
Push is 3 kilos. And its about the same size.

mharris

Post by mharris » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:26 pm

ze2be wrote:

Sorry, I mean its bulky in relation to the functionality it provides, when compared to the Push. That's a hell of a lot of desk space to give up if I'm only ever going to use the APC for transport and the odd mute/solo/rec.
Last edited by mharris on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:29 pm

Push actually has dedicated 'mute' and 'solo' buttons, not sure how they work, but they are 100% there.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:39 pm

mharris wrote:
ze2be wrote:

Sorry, I mean its bulky in relation to the functionality it provides, when compared to the Push. That's a hell of a lot of desk space to give up if I'm only ever going to use the APC for transport and and the odd mute/solo/rec.
Agreed. There's a reason why some users have removed the horrible "wings" on the APC40 and replaced them with flat panels.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:44 pm

the PUSH really smacks of
Anders Controller meets Maschine, with ideas taken from a few controller scripts.

I would say with all of this that Ableton are definitely listening to users and paying attention to detail.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Can't wait to get my hands on the thing! (i've said that before!)

The only thing that it looks like it can't do is slicing/wave editing. Looks like some kind of dot matrix style affair on the screen. Can't say if it could compete efficiency wise with a full display anyway.

I tried maschines slicing. Did'nt like it, but in all honesty I didn't learn it as i only had it for a day.

I really hope Ableton pulled it off when it comes really good mouse-less control. The videos look promising.

i'm most looking forward to sitting down and composing with it cos of the pads/pressure/velocity/chords/scales.

I wonder what it's like, filling up that session view without looking at it!!! 8O
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

NeoLuddites

Post by NeoLuddites » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:49 pm

How much will it cost an when's it out???

Also would push work with L8?

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:08 pm

puzzlefactory wrote:Someone made a good point over on the Maschine forum, that putting the encoders above the lcd screen is a bit of a silly idea as your arms are going to block the view of the screen. :?
my thoughts exactly..

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:17 pm

dna598 wrote:I wonder what it's like, filling up that session view without looking at it!!! 8O
Did it one time the first weeks I had the APC 40, using Native Kontrol presets, and also one time when I got the iPad 2 using Live Control/TouchOsc. It was fun for a short while, but I never did it again. Nothing beats looking at the screen and working with a mouse, still. The only thing I always use are the device control knobs and the solo/mute buttons on the APC40.

In that regard, I would love a slim version of the APC40, similar in form factor as a Korg Nano Kontrol, but with APC40s 8 faders with solo/mute buttons, and the 8 device control knobs.

My personal dream controller for Live in the studio would simply reflect the Live GUI layout and functions.

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:05 am

Matt_Quinn wrote:>I think they will work great side by side.

That's what I was thinking at first, but it's just way too much desk space for me when they perform a lot of the same functions.
so from this time on there must be enough place for both. :lol: .ok , they are sharing many features but actually this could be a great thing.

Fledz

Post by Fledz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:35 am

Push looks very nice but I'm actually still happy with the APC40. I think in terms of my work flow, the APC40 is probably better suited.

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:33 am

Alfonso Muchacho wrote:I've got an APC40 and the PUSH is going to sit nicely on the other side of my desk where the Maschine was going to go. For me the APC will handle the mixing and performance side and the Push will handle the production.

Simples
This.

i also think that push is much more set up as a rival to maschine than to the apc40.
i mean cmon, how is the lack of faders and 7 encoders while maintaining the same footprint supposed to be an advantage?

also, i think push is trying to be too many things in the same time thus compromising each aspect:

- from what i can see, the pads are definitely too small for advanced finger drumming, as u cant do double finger tappings for snare fills and such.

- then, for those versed in music theory, means the people who would actually understand and be able to use the scale layout of push, i doubt this could replace a conventional keyboard as that is what most of them are used to. all the others would just hit random buttons and get random notes - u can actually recongnize this behavior in the promo video!

- from a product design standpoint, the layout of the buttons on the sides is a total mess. i can see they tried to group them logically and align them with the central matrix, but together with the really small labels it looks totally unrecognizable and unintuitive.

nethertheless i must admit that it looks really sexy and i might consider buying it instead of maschine to have a dedicated drum sequencer, if i would get it for a good price :D

so thats my 2cents, and being more on the traditional side of composing using guitars and stuff, i could absolutely believe that there's producers out there who feel like this is exactly what they were waiting for. but for me - i am semi-whelmed

i better prepare for the shitstorm...