All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: APC40 v.s PUSH
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:32 pm 

hmmm look at screens then choose knob, you allready know which...er... knob your holding :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:39 pm 

Poster wrote:
just checked with Maschine by turning it 180 degrees;
not saying my hand fully blocks the screen but it's far from ideal..
also because you're blocking the other parameters..

funny because you can only look at one parameter at once.
human limitation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:41 pm 

JuanSOLO wrote:
h3rtz wrote:
push for performance, apc for production.

I'm confused by that somewhat.
The APC40 doesn't offer much, it's ergonomically crippled and cheaply built.
It only began to excel with M4L patches, Bomes presets, and remote scripts.
If you had a NanoKontrol 2 (or any fader/knob controller) and a Push, the APC40 would be redundant.

i think i read that you are heavily leaning towards an all-hardware solution and don't like looking at screens. in a performance situation i can understand that.

what i like about the apc40's layout is that it resembles pretty perfectly what you see on your computer screen - and thats where i look at during production. also, well, it already does have faders, which are handy in mixing situations from time to time.

but again, we might have different working styles (and levels) and who am i to not entirely embrace a plus of choice.

go pushy go.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:00 pm 

Alfonso Muchacho wrote:
I've got an APC40 and the PUSH is going to sit nicely on the other side of my desk where the Maschine was going to go. For me the APC will handle the mixing and performance side and the Push will handle the production.

Simples

YES, EXACTLY! I've loved my APC40 since I got it but felt that in produciton it was lacking. I used it very little. Seems like Push will do nicely for me. I may be the only one to won it in Maine.

-----

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:35 pm 

I think the real question is PUSH vs Maschine

Push is dedicated hardware for controlling Live. It will get you away from the mouse more than ever before.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:05 pm 

condra wrote:
I think the real question is PUSH vs Maschine

Push is dedicated hardware for controlling Live. It will get you away from the mouse more than ever before.

I think Push trumps Maschine simply because they are both Hardware/Software hybrids where:

Push < -- > Live (The *Actual* Daw)
Machine < -- > (Drums software) --> ??? (Where's the DAW?)

I'm pretty sure I can make all the beats I would want with Push+Live, it's the other 90% of production duties that I'm interested in too, and I think this is where Push is gonna rule.

It's like comparing Push+Live to Akai's Renaissance MPC + Software, it's a totally different ballgame :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:18 pm 

h3rtz wrote:
i think i read that you are heavily leaning towards an all-hardware solution.

most definitely based on what Live 9 offers.
I just got a Tempest, I use a SlimPhatty and a Korg Poly 800 for making sounds.
I am using all outboard FX, except for the Finger.
I was thinking about getting an Octatrack and replacing my laptop completely.
HOWEVER Live 9, and PUSH, look really amazing, and I know Live very well, I cant justify Octatrack anymore.
I also finally got my Ms Pinky live looping stuff working proper, thats probably the one thing that will always keep me using a Laptop in my rig somewhere, it's just too damn fun.

Thing is, I had been uber frustrated with the APC40 even after finally getting my rig/mappings to a place where I was playing it instead of configuring it.

There will be scripts for Machine to emulate Push, and vice versa.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:25 pm 

sorry but the push doesnt really excite me. To me it seems easier to look at the computer screen to change presets. also says its 6 lbs, which isnt that small to carry around. how is this supposed to help me with production/composition? by providing a step sequencer and melodic buttons. sorry, but i know how to play piano , so i'll stick to composing that way.
i want to use one in person before making any more judgements.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:46 pm 

h3rtz wrote:
i also think that push is much more set up as a rival to maschine than to the apc40.

Not much of a rival considering Push
- doesn't automap to third party plugins
- has no step automation (step parameter lock)
- no waveforms on the hardware LCD when sample editing
- still requires you to use the mouse/trackpad for things like opening/closing plugin windows
- knobs are unfortunately positioned above the LCD screen
- way overpriced in comparison to Maschine

OzWozEre wrote:

Sorry but Maschine's software is far from a mere "drum software" even if it's not a full-on DAW. It's a fully featured sampling workstation/host instrument.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:58 pm 

humnumb wrote:
Not much of a rival considering Push
- doesn't automap to third party plugins
- has no step automation (step parameter lock)
- no waveforms on the hardware LCD when sample editing
- still requires you to use the mouse/trackpad for things like opening/closing plugin windows
- knobs are unfortunately positioned above the LCD screen
- way overpriced in comparison to Maschine

-Maschine automapping, Live's Racks (bluehand)
-no step automation? There is recordable automation which could be hacked with M4L creating Step Automation. I mean the APC40 and mark egloffs device has provided step automation before Maschine.
-the LCD screen is not a "cant show waveform" kinda thing
-I can open and close windows with my APC40 using M4L or Bomes
-knob positioning will not prove be crippling whatsoever
-Maschine cost 649 dollars, "way overpriced" is a total exaggeration.

Lastly Machine users will be able to emulate PUSH, and vise versa, it's in the programs/scripts people.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:11 pm 

Well they are two different things, or three different things when you include MPC Renaissance

They each have strenghts and weaknesses, but over the next couple of years there will be plenty of people who want an integrated hard/soft solution who will be deciding between the three, so I do think it is fair to compare them.

Right now, Maschine has the benefit of 99% mouseless operation, but the DAW is very basic compared to Live, and the learning curve is pretty steep.

The Renny has a soundcard built in, but from what I've seen, it will require plenty of mouse use to get things done and finished.

For those of us already used to Live, Push blows the competition out of the water as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:20 pm 

humnumb wrote:
OzWozEre wrote:

Sorry but Maschine's software is far from a mere "drum software" even if it's not a full-on DAW. It's a fully featured sampling workstation/host instrument.

I hear ya, what I'm trying to say is that Maschine will only take you so far, you will still need to dump-to-daw at some point, whereas with Push you are "already there" -- at least this is my understanding...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:22 pm 

OzWozEre wrote:
-- at least this is my understanding...

it's not just your understanding, it's true.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:31 pm 

JuanSOLO wrote:
-Maschine automapping, Live's Racks (bluehand)

Maschine automaps any loaded plugin, without any setup beforehand. The automapping can be customized as well.

Push: "With VSTs, we currently can't access parameters in an automatic and consistent way, as we can with our own devices, so you would be left with a way to load a VST, but not control it automatically." viewtopic.php?p=1445043#p1445043

JuanSOLO wrote:
-no step automation? There is recordable automation which could be hacked with M4L creating Step Automation. I mean the APC40 and mark egloffs device has provided step automation before Maschine.

We're talking about built-in features, not hacking with an additional tool that would still require the Suite version of Live 9.

Push: "We don't have per step automation of devices (also known as parameter lock)" viewtopic.php?p=1445659#p1445659

JuanSOLO wrote:
-the LCD screen is not a "cant show waveform" kinda thing

The Push doesn't show waveforms on the LCD screen whether or not it can or cannot do it technically in theory.

JuanSOLO wrote:
-I can open and close windows with my APC40 using M4L or Bomes

Again, I'm talking about comparing it to built-in features of Maschine, not using additional tools like M4L or Bomes.

JuanSOLO wrote:
-knob positioning will not prove be crippling whatsoever

You sound so certain even though you've never tried it. It might not be "crippling" but I can see why the unfortunate design decision might end up being annoying for many.

JuanSOLO wrote:
-Maschine cost 649 dollars, "way overpriced" is a total exaggeration.

Not at all. Maschine's price always includes the software license.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:34 pm 

condra wrote:
Right now, Maschine has the benefit of 99% mouseless operation, but the DAW is very basic compared to Live, and the learning curve is pretty steep.

Huh? Maschine's learning curve is far from steep, especially compared to Live. In fact, Maschine (which is not a DAW) is about the easiest thing to learn, especially if you're already familiar with Live.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next