Push Design Layout

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
kingrhythm

Push Design Layout

Post by kingrhythm » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Push looks awesome to me but I have one gripe:
Why are the encoders above the displays?
How can we turn an encoder and see the settings change if our wrist is covering the display?
Encoders / knobs are usually below the display...

Why do you think they did this?

Jesse

Re: Push Design Layout

Post by Jesse » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:55 pm

We thought a lot about this, and had many debates. You can't win completely either way -- when the encoders are under the screen, you can't see the screen when sitting down, because the encoder and your hand block the viewing angle to the display. We mocked up both and took the one we thought did best in both sitting and standing positions.

A second influence was that we wanted the buttons beneath the display to interact with the display (i.e. the buttons are used to select devices, mute tracks, etc.). We could have put the buttons above the display, but this would have lead to a much larger unit, as you'd need a PCB above the display, and below, and a PCB board requires room above/below it. As is, we were able to make sure Push fits in your backpack.

Jesse
(Project Manager for Push)

kingrhythm

Post by kingrhythm » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:14 pm

The fact that this was debated gives me assurance that the best decision was made.

Thank you for your response Jesse!

phil909

Post by phil909 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:21 pm

great work jesse. i think it looks stunning.