Ableton 9's "Drums" Browser (and Push)?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
djlimbs

Ableton 9's "Drums" Browser (and Push)?

Post by djlimbs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:12 pm

This is probably too early to ask, but I got extra hype about those vids...

In the Live 9 vids I've seen, I haven't seen too much covering the "Drums" part of the Live Browser. How will that section work for organizing drum one shots and how will it integrate with Push?

From what I can gather, it looks like Push is able to browse devices/instruments and I only saw full Drum Racks popping up. Will users be able to browse individual drum sounds as well to place onto a pad (a la MPC/Maschine) or will that still need the mouse?

Thanks Abes, excited about 2013 now.

JuanSOLO

Re: Ableton 9's "Drums" Browser (and Push)?

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:16 pm

I would bet the price of PUSH that it will handle all thing browser without a mouse.

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:58 pm

In the video it says you can browse sounds I think that means drum sounds too right?
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

djlimbs

Post by djlimbs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:07 pm

It wasn't specific about individual wavs though..."Sounds" could mean a one shot SFX created in Analog so it'd come up as a preset for an Instrument.

I saw a screenshot that showed how Drums are separated and that looks promising (looks like you can collect Kicks from across many sample libraries and organize them in one space). I hope once things are in Browse, they're accessible via Push to be thrown into Drum Racks!

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:16 pm

they load instruments via PUSH,
that would mean Simpler, or M4L drum synths, or Sampler, or 3rd party plugs etc.

I highly doubt they left raw samples out, nevertheless you can scroll Simplers?

all browsing will be available via PUSH LCD, think about it, whats the point otherwise..

NI takes from Ableton to make product better
Ableton takes from NI to make product better.

I imagine PUSH will be all things Maschine IS, and all things it isn't in Live.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:52 pm

I'm sure you'll be able to browse samples. The question is whether you can browse in custom locations or just the drum/instrument folders etc.

I wonder if you can add effects to drum cells and drum rack send effect slots from Push...
Professional Shark Jumper.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:01 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:I wonder if you can add effects to drum cells and drum rack send effect slots from Push...
now thats a proper question.

In the demos he easily adds FX.
So I imagine that if you are on a selected cell, you can easily add FX.
Drum Sends?
Not so sure, but if you can navigate to it, I imagine you could swap it out via PUSH

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:35 am

JuanSOLO wrote:I imagine PUSH will be all things Maschine IS, and all things it isn't in Live.
PUSH certainly won't be able to do all things that Maschine does, like the ability to view waveforms on the hardware displays while sample editing, and a bunch of other things like opening/closing plugin windows from the hardware, having all presets from all of Komplete integrated into the hardware's displays...etc., that gives Maschine a much more hands-on workflow that can be entirely mouse-free and feels more like playing an actual hardware musical instrument.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:22 am

Here's what I wrote in another post:

"In general, the new browser offers some really cool ways to access your one shot samples and device presets. For example, if you have drums scattered across your computer, you just drag the folders to be "Places". Once this is done, if you browse for "hi-hat" from Push, it sees all your hi-hats, from everywhere across your computer, in one place (provided they are in a folder called "Hi-Hat," etc. This extends to external drive folders dragged to places as well -- which are dynamically shown/hidden if the drive is attached."

And yes, you can add effects to pads or kit, and browse to different kits, or browse to different one shot samples or to devices (like Operator) from a pad. We will also implement some filtering, i.e. right now you can filter drum kits by Livepack/Places in the new browser.

Also, the touch strip works to select drum rack bank. It has 24 leds, which are half lit if drums are available in that bank, or fully lit for the selected bank.

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:20 am

Gosh, delicioso, you're an NI guy? Another copy-paste-like post.

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:57 am

delicioso wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote:I imagine PUSH will be all things Maschine IS, and all things it isn't in Live.
PUSH certainly won't be able to do all things that Maschine does, like the ability to view waveforms on the hardware displays while sample editing, and a bunch of other things like opening/closing plugin windows from the hardware, having all presets from all of Komplete integrated into the hardware's displays...etc., that gives Maschine a much more hands-on workflow that can be entirely mouse-free and feels more like playing an actual hardware musical instrument.
No, Push probably won't be able navigate Komplete's presets. Maybe browsing presets of the individual instruments could be doable, I don't know.

Of course Maschine can neither navigate or use Live's presets. Win for Ableton.

Editing waveforms without mouse I get (maybe doable), but squinting at a little screen which is plugged into a computer with a big screen? Why?

We'll have to wait and see exactly how hands on it really is. Hope it has a lot of midi and audio editing not available to other controllers.

djlimbs

Post by djlimbs » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Jesse wrote:Here's what I wrote in another post:

"In general, the new browser offers some really cool ways to access your one shot samples and device presets. For example, if you have drums scattered across your computer, you just drag the folders to be "Places". Once this is done, if you browse for "hi-hat" from Push, it sees all your hi-hats, from everywhere across your computer, in one place (provided they are in a folder called "Hi-Hat," etc. This extends to external drive folders dragged to places as well -- which are dynamically shown/hidden if the drive is attached."

And yes, you can add effects to pads or kit, and browse to different kits, or browse to different one shot samples or to devices (like Operator) from a pad. We will also implement some filtering, i.e. right now you can filter drum kits by Livepack/Places in the new browser.

Also, the touch strip works to select drum rack bank. It has 24 leds, which are half lit if drums are available in that bank, or fully lit for the selected bank.

thanks for the info Jesse! Now my next question...how do I get a job like yours? :)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Jesse wrote:Here's what I wrote in another post:

Sounds great, thanks! What about loading send effects and controlling send amounts per cell?
Professional Shark Jumper.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:02 pm

the touch strip acts like a drumRack bank?
finally drum banks!

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:02 pm

andydes wrote:Editing waveforms without mouse I get (maybe doable), but squinting at a little screen which is plugged into a computer with a big screen? Why?
Because not everyone wants to have to stare at a big old computer screen while making music. You can even turn off the computer screen and just use Maschine's hardware and there's no squinting involved.