Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rbro

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by rbro » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:36 pm

kcearl wrote:
Ableton_David wrote:To everyone who is confused/frustrated about the price change - again, apologies on our end for this. It's an error that went up yesterday and that we had to correct today. Please get in touch with customer care if you had a cart going or were going to buy, at http://ableton.com/support/contact. Please also allow us some time to get back to you - our support team is working quite hard at the moment, as you might imagine.

In the mean time, for those asking about the specific Suite 8 introductory discount for upgrading to Live 9 Suite - we're working to get that show on ableton.com as soon as possible.

Thanks for bearing with us while we sort things out with the new site!

have done, thanks
Yes , this is the fair/right thing to do. Customer care contacted. Waiting for a reply.......

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Per Boysen wrote:
kent_sandvik wrote:They lose a lot with these kinds of snafus and the upgrade price is now not reasonable at all...
I guess this also affects the second hand price negatively in case one should decide to sell the license?
How do you work that out?

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:39 pm

Stealth Elf wrote:
massenmedium wrote:
Stealth Elf wrote:The upgrade to Suite is £200/$330 for me and lets not forget that this is an *upgrade* price not a new purchase. That's already more than buying most competitors outright.

Really I'd like to stick with Ableton because I'm used to it and I like the format but I don't make enough money to keep up with this kind of mark up.
What are you upgrading from, may I ask?
Live 8 boxed.
So it's £200 for all the Suite instruments and content and a free upgrade to Suite 9 including M4L?

If you can't afford or don't want it or don't want to pay that amount of course that's one thing, but do you really think that's not a fair price?

Actually you should double check that anyway.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Ableton_David wrote:To everyone who is confused/frustrated about the price change - again, apologies on our end for this. It's an error that went up yesterday and that we had to correct today. Please get in touch with customer care if you had a cart going or were going to buy, at http://ableton.com/support/contact. Please also allow us some time to get back to you - our support team is working quite hard at the moment, as you might imagine.

In the mean time, for those asking about the specific Suite 8 introductory discount for upgrading to Live 9 Suite - we're working to get that show on ableton.com as soon as possible.

Simple suggestion-why don't you offer your original fuckup price for a limited time or as a group buy? I had it in my cart last night at $194. How am I going to prove this? Having customer support deal with this seems like a waste of resources. Are they going to do anything? I'll go with no.

As one who has licenses to other DAWs, I was going to for over the $194 for the Live package. At $299 I can upgrade Sonar and Reason for less.

I doubt too many are going to accept a $100 fuckup in pricing nor do software companies make that kind of mistake.

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:51 pm

massenmedium wrote:
Per Boysen wrote:
kent_sandvik wrote:They lose a lot with these kinds of snafus and the upgrade price is now not reasonable at all...
I guess this also affects the second hand price negatively in case one should decide to sell the license?
How do you work that out?
I've never looked into the second hand market for Live licenses but it seems logical that the less your license is worth within an upgrade path the lower the second hand price. Just my guess...
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

TabSel

Post by TabSel » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Guys, I'm pretty sure, Ableton is fair enough, and has stated already: DO. NOT. GUESS. Contact customer support. They will sort you, even though they do not have to as you did not order it, but only put it into your cart.

Do not complain here. Contact customer support. As stated by ableton. What else should they do? Contact you by themselves?

Contact
Support

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:53 pm

I've never looked into the second hand market for Live licenses but it seems logical that the less your license is worth within an upgrade path the lower the second hand price. Just my guess...
Why do you think it would be worth less if the price has "gone up".?

Anyway, I think people need to look at the upgrade prices in themselves and not in relation to the erroneous prices listed yesterday.
Last edited by massenmedium on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exper

Post by exper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:55 pm

massenmedium wrote: So it's £200 for all the Suite instruments and content and a free upgrade to Suite 9 including M4L?

If you can't afford or don't want it or don't want to pay that amount of course that's one thing, but do you really think that's not a fair price?

Apparently massenmedium, due to this thread, many people do not! People were happy with the price for the Suite 8 upgrade yesterday. Today, not so much. But please, don't try to talk down to someone because they are not happy with the high cost of Live's upgrades. They are very high compared to everything else, and for most of us, this is a hobby. Expense is a very real issue to people. Live and its upgrades used to be much more affordable.

Stealth Elf

Post by Stealth Elf » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:04 pm

massenmedium wrote:So it's £200 for all the Suite instruments and content and a free upgrade to Suite 9 including M4L?

Actually you should double check that anyway.
Depends on how you qualify your definition of 'fair'.

If it's by comparing to other similar products well FL is free upgrades, Reaper is free upgrades for 2 generations, Reason let me upgrade from version 4 + record to Reason 6 for 3 euros and I'm willing to bet two guineas and a monkey that Bitwig will launch at about half the price of Ableton Suite with similar or better features. I don't think these are 'fair' necessarily, they are extremely generous and customers of those companies should feel lucky to get things so cheap. They are clearly more than profitable for those companies though, that's how they continue to trade. However, £200 for an upgrade of a product that routinely crashes and still doesn't properly support 64bit... To be honest I think that's a bit steep. I would have probably saved up for a couple of months and bought it anyway (by which time it would no doubt have gone up in price again, lol) but what feels unfair, surely by anyone's standard, in this situation is the fact that I had the product listed at the cheaper price sitting in the shopping *cart*. I didn't just see it and consider it, this isn't the same as coming back to a store the next day. This is the equivalent of having a shop assistant walk up to you while you are shopping, taking something out of your basket and slapping an extra 70 euros on it. How many people are going to go up to the counter and feel good about their purchase after that?

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Yesterday's price tempted me to throw caution to the wind... anyone remember the state of Live 8 at release? 8O

Today's price means I'm content to wait and see how good the beta testing was.
Image Image

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:07 pm

I'm wondering if Ableton should post a sticky confirming upgrading to 9 is not mandatory & you can choose not to do so if you think it's too expensive...

banned

Post by banned » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:12 pm

(Judging from this thread) it seems that the upgrade to a boxed Suite 8 from a Suite 8 download version includes a free upgrade to Live 9 Suite. Can you confirm that?

Assuming that this is true, I have another question. As an owner of a license for Suite 8 (download) and M4L, I have that upgrade in my cart for €34 (+ tax: €40,90). So, if the upgrade price to Live 9 Suite including the introductory discount will be any higher than that, it is cheaper for me to buy the boxed version now. But I really have no need at all for Ableton to ship me a bunch of dead trees and plastic (I don't even have one of those annoyingly slow and noisy optical disc drives anymore). Considering your environmental responsibility, can we simply agree that Ableton should just sell me the upgrade for that price without actually sending me the box? (And feel free to send my box to someone who can only afford the download version but has a crappy internet connection.)
Last edited by banned on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:12 pm

exper wrote:
massenmedium wrote: So it's £200 for all the Suite instruments and content and a free upgrade to Suite 9 including M4L?

Apparently massenmedium, due to this thread, many people do not! People were happy with the price for the Suite 8 upgrade yesterday. Today, not so much. But please, don't try to talk down to someone because they are not happy with the high cost of Live's upgrades. They are very high compared to everything else, and for most of us, this is a hobby. Expense is a very real issue to people. Live and its upgrades used to be much more affordable.
Yeah, just buy it or not. And for your own reasons. "due to this thread" ? It was "cheaper" yesterday because of a mistake. Oh well.

There's a lot there for £200 though. (although I think it's probably a bit more than that)

exper

Post by exper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:26 pm

massenmedium wrote:
exper wrote:

Yeah, just buy it or not. And for your own reasons. "due to this thread" ? It was "cheaper" yesterday because of a mistake. Oh well.

There's a lot there for £200 though. (although I think it's probably a bit more than that)
The truth of it is, I could care less about the content. I never use samples or presets, and there's even a great deal of Suite's instruments I don't care for like Tension and Sampler and Tension and Analog. The only draws for me are Collision/Corpus and M4L. That's why I thought $197 wasn't bad. But bloated with presets that I'll never use for $300 is not really interesting to me. It's not about not "affording" it. I'm sitting next to a $9000+ modular system, so yes, I spend money when I see something valuable to me and what I want to accomplish. However, it's that the useless "features" are not worth $300 to me right now. Every year I can buy the Native Instruments Komplete upgrade for about $99 usually. That also bloated with samples more and more. But the few new instruments they include are worth about $100 so I do it.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:36 pm

exper wrote:

I think the issue is making a $100 mistake in the pricing. As for massenmedium, there are a lot more competitors in the DAW market. Some where probably going to use credit for this upgrade. $194 vs. $299 seems to make no sale an easier decision. They might take a portion of that and upgrade a VST instead.

Most developers create a loyalty by offering generous upgrades. When people have been anxious for an upgrade the worst thing you can do is screw up the upgrade pricing.