Live 9 Pricing

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
kitekrazy
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Russell Krauch wrote:If you were renting an apartment that was advertised at $1,200 a month and when you went to sign the lease the landlord said "Oh sorry I made a mistake the rent is really $1,500", would you still sign? This is essentially the same thing. To those here that say something along the lines of "Stop whining, nobody's forcing you to upgrade if you don't like it", well you're right. I don't like it and I'm not upgrading anytime soon if ever. Actually I was more interested in getting Suite than an upgrade to 9. Most of the new features either don't interest me much or I have some variation of them with 3'rd party plug ins.
I would think the Suite would be the least interesting if you have 3rd party plugins.
When it gets to that point of never upgrading, that usually means someone is switching apps.

I wonder what their next step is in pissing people off. Could it be there will be no final release of Live 8 in 64bit and would remove the use of the current beta? In other words forcing you to upgrade if you want to use 64bit.

3dot...
Posts: 9996
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by 3dot... » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:36 pm

^^^
that seems highly unlikely...
Image

freqn
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:18 am
Location: Midwest
Contact:

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by freqn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:47 pm

..
_________________

evilaci
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:48 am

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by evilaci » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:19 pm

Hielo Patagonia Sounds wrote:Sorry, I didn't read this 15 pages topic but what is that mess around the upgrade price policy ????? :evil:

Here is a copy of the email I've just sent to ableton support team:
"Hi,

Great news yesterday with Live 9 and the Push controller.

Unfortunately, your pricing policy was yesterday unfair for the Live 8 suite owner. Today, my Live 9 upgrade offer rise from 134 EUROS to 209 EUROS !!! :-( As a long time Live owner (since Live 4), I find that this price change is REALLY unfair. I was planning to take this offer before the end of November 2012. But 209 EUROS instead of 134 EUROS for added plug-ins and 3 GB of samples I will never use, no thanks ! That's more than a full Apple Logic license (just checked at 179,99 EUROS) ...

You have to know that I'm not the type of guy who is used to complain about prices but this time that's enough ! I might not upgrade to Live 9 unless you will maintain the price I was offered yesterday (134 EUROS).

Best regards from a long time but unhappy customer,
Hédi K."
Hédi K.
If i would be the Steve Jobs of Ableton and after reading this email or emails in that kind i would let you pay 50$ extra for every version since - ah when have you started Live4 - to 9.
But the best is that we all know now that you are not the type of guy who is complaining about prices but THIS TIME THATS ENOUGH..... 8O :oops:
Are you sure how awkward you are representing yourself and really believes to pressure the Abes....

Ah and please Ableton: FINALLY CLOSE THIS FORUM - your customers deserve it and are too much distrected form this talks here cause it is all about makin music - right... so bring em back! :mrgreen:

aqua_tek
Posts: 2569
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:30 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
aqua_tek wrote:Wow, what a clusterfuck.
Aren't you happy you bought it last night? :wink:
Well I was being kind of a (subtle) dick about it. Less subtly...

The first day people were complaining that they had to pay anything at all, when, quite frankly, the upgrade pricing seemed reasonable enough... especially for upgrading from standard to suite, with the special offer.

A lot of people decided to sleep on it or "wait it out" hoping that Ableton would, from the goodness of their hearts, decide to just give away the upgrade for free or lower the price even more.

I don't know what twisted sense of entitlement would drive anyone to think they were going to get that. That's like waltzing into an Apple store and demanding a free iMac because youve been using macs since 1984. Or writing an email to Sony demanding a ps3 because you owned a Walkman or two growing up.

If people hadnt been so busy bitching and moaning, they would've been able to get the upgrade at a more than reasonable price. I did. I'm happy about it.

remute99
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:26 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by remute99 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:51 pm

aqua_tek wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
aqua_tek wrote:Wow, what a clusterfuck.
Aren't you happy you bought it last night? :wink:
Well I was being kind of a (subtle) dick about it. Less subtly...

The first day people were complaining that they had to pay anything at all, when, quite frankly, the upgrade pricing seemed reasonable enough... especially for upgrading from standard to suite, with the special offer.

A lot of people decided to sleep on it or "wait it out" hoping that Ableton would, from the goodness of their hearts, decide to just give away the upgrade for free or lower the price even more.

I don't know what twisted sense of entitlement would drive anyone to think they were going to get that. That's like waltzing into an Apple store and demanding a free iMac because youve been using macs since 1984. Or writing an email to Sony demanding a ps3 because you owned a Walkman or two growing up.

If people hadnt been so busy bitching and moaning, they would've been able to get the upgrade at a more than reasonable price. I did. I'm happy about it.
If only everyone was as awesome as you.
Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2 x 2.8 GHz
10 GB RAM
OSX 10.5.6

oddstep
Posts: 1732
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Plymouth the great

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by oddstep » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:06 pm

:lol: yeah, nonawesome folk, quit thine bitching!

Effectively it was just a one day special offer pretending to be a multimonth upgrade incentive. you either took it or you didn't.

infuzion
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:08 pm
Location: Earth,USA,CO,Denver
Contact:

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by infuzion » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:21 pm

littlepig wrote:Yesteday I added the upgrade to suite to my cart, today I look and it has gone up an substantial amount. IMO this is not a very good way to behave, if you say you are going to sell something at a price then stick to it.
I was on the fence but now I have jumped on to the 'wait and see side'.
Same here.
Looking at it took Ableton what 2 years to clear out enough bugs of Live8 to work on Live9, then they can't seem to get their act together still (accidentally posted YouTube video, some FAQ in error, delays in responding to Support, & other website issues) makes me wonder about their overall quality control.

If Max4Live + Suite was not such a semi-good value, & if there was not a good community with Live, I would just give up on Live & stick with my FruitLoops + Reason, which are both great values IMHO. Plus, since I am skilled with SynthMaker, I am "meh" with M4L...
Say hi at my MySpace space

kitekrazy
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:25 pm

aqua_tek wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
aqua_tek wrote:Wow, what a clusterfuck.
Aren't you happy you bought it last night? :wink:
Well I was being kind of a (subtle) dick about it. Less subtly...

The first day people were complaining that they had to pay anything at all, when, quite frankly, the upgrade pricing seemed reasonable enough... especially for upgrading from standard to suite, with the special offer.

A lot of people decided to sleep on it or "wait it out" hoping that Ableton would, from the goodness of their hearts, decide to just give away the upgrade for free or lower the price even more.

I don't know what twisted sense of entitlement would drive anyone to think they were going to get that. That's like waltzing into an Apple store and demanding a free iMac because youve been using macs since 1984. Or writing an email to Sony demanding a ps3 because you owned a Walkman or two growing up.

If people hadnt been so busy bitching and moaning, they would've been able to get the upgrade at a more than reasonable price. I did. I'm happy about it.
I would assume that would be the Suite and M4L users. Other than that I would say that's bullshit. There were more Live 8 users willing to upgrade to the Suite for $194 then wait it out for something better.

freqn
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:18 am
Location: Midwest
Contact:

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by freqn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:39 pm

kitekrazy wrote:There were more Live 8 users willing to upgrade to the Suite for $194 then wait it out for something better.
Agreed. Many of us could actually afford that price which was originally posted. Now, we need to wait for who knows how long with no promise of any discounts or free upgrades by the time we're able to hand over the extra cash. It would be nice if Ableton would consider a one day or even a 12 hour grace period to revert the prices in favor of their current customers to help ease the sting of a huge Ableton mistake.
_________________

oddstep
Posts: 1732
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Plymouth the great

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by oddstep » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:45 pm

radialson wrote:
kitekrazy wrote:There were more Live 8 users willing to upgrade to the Suite for $194 then wait it out for something better.
Agreed. Many of us could actually afford that price which was originally posted. Now, we need to wait for who knows how long with no promise of any discounts or free upgrades by the time we're able to hand over the extra cash. It would be nice if Ableton would consider a one day or even a 12 hour grace period to revert the prices in favor of their current customers to help ease the sting of a huge Ableton mistake.
You decided not to buy it when it was that price. You could afford it but decided to leave the purchase for another day. The price then changed. That's all there is to it. You decided not to spend money, Ableton decided to change their prices. Two decisions. The actual mistake Ableton made was to lose money on upgrades, a grace day isn't going to reduce the sting of that. Live is a good enough product that it stands or falls on its own merits, the customer care is good, but they don't need to bow and scrape to keep a loyal but small customer community

login
Posts: 1816
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:41 am

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by login » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:50 pm

People miss this points:

Ableton offers 25% off and a FREE upgrade.

The normal price to upgrading to suite was 262 USD, now they have increased that price to 399 USD!!!!


So before they give us their new 25% they went 50% up, do you think that is fair?

oddstep
Posts: 1732
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Plymouth the great

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by oddstep » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:05 pm

Yes. Either people will upgrade or Ableton will have to have loads of promotions to shift enough units to keep their staff paid. Ableton Live isn't a perishable good. Live 8 will work for a couple years easily. Ableton even created new versions of 7 after 8 was released. Suite costs more because it has max for live included.

oddstep
Posts: 1732
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Plymouth the great

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by oddstep » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:09 pm

Its irritating how expensive Live is. But I used to feel the same way about cigarettes among other things.

exper
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:07 am
Location: Southern New Jersey

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by exper » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:15 pm

login wrote:People miss this points:

Ableton offers 25% off and a FREE upgrade.

The normal price to upgrading to suite was 262 USD, now they have increased that price to 399 USD!!!!


So before they give us their new 25% they went 50% up, do you think that is fair?

I think this is the point of my anger. Don't increase the price and then act like a little discount FOR MORE THAN THE PREVIOUS SUITE UPGRADE PRICE is somehow great.

oddstep wrote:Suite costs more because it has max for live included.
But then, its not really included in Suite 9 then is it? If your paying for that, then they're essentially forcing you to buy that option.


This is all reinforcing why I've been using my Machinedrum and modular system more and more. Done with the endless upgrade merry go round.

Post Reply