Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
shadowdancerbnr

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by shadowdancerbnr » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Surreal wrote:
shadowdancerbnr wrote:
oddstep wrote:You don't gain much. Collision is pretty good though. Its not just a better than average xylophone emulator.. think of it more like a better tension+electric.
Ah, thanks....I thought as much. I never use Tension or Electric, so Collision would be useless to me. I may just pay the €164, assuming it could be cheaper than the eventual "upgrade to Live 9 Suite" offer next year.
I actually disagree. Maybe 8 to 8 suite you don't get much, but 9 suite is pretty amazing when you consider the orchestral libraries and max for live. But that's just my opinion.
Well, that's the point I was making: paying now is probably cheaper than upgrading to 9 Suite later or 9 Standard with the necessity to upgrade my M4L 5 license on top of it.

Napole0n

Post by Napole0n » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:54 pm

beats me wrote: Are you questioning the values of the generation who feels they should never pay for a song or movie download ever and a $1 app for a phone should first be given serious scrutiny before purchasing and if not satified should publicly demand their dollar be refunded?
No, because that would make me sound like an old fart :) What I do question is the sense of entitlement some people seem to have, and how they are acting as if Ableton broke into their house, murdered their dog and took the family silver because of a gaffe about an amount of money that won't even buy you a night out on the town. Hence the 'perspective injection' remark. Ableton made a mistake, some people - including me :D - got lucky, and some had bad luck for being late to the party. Apart from the people who F5 the main website 4 times an hour, nobody would even have noticed. Bottom line is that we're getting a new version of Live, that you can upgrade for a reasonable amount (IMO) and that we should be glad about it instead of whining about a few bucks most of us probably won't even feel.

I guess my point is that the imminent release of Live 9 is a joyful event, and that the whiners take a lot of the joy away.
Last edited by Napole0n on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merges

Post by merges » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:55 pm

agent314 wrote:Having a negative opinion is one thing - and it definitely has its place. Ableton fucked up with the pricing and they've said as much and now they're trying to make good in a way that is also business-smart. I'm not going to pretend there haven't been problems with the pricing situation, but I'm not going to post dozens and dozens of times reiterating what a terrible company they are and how they've wronged me and how oh no I can't even use my existing license that I happily plunked down my money for because they might change something that impacts what I may want to use at some point in the future

Criticism is a good thing when it's making a point. Criticism for the sake of spewing negativity at every possible opportunity is just a waste of time and energy and goodwill.
Fair nuff that some people have just complained. I think a lot of folks were initially excited about Live 9, and even wanted to upgrade. They (and I) were confused about the pricing; they (and I) want to make a financially prudent decision. What happened is that Ableton came along and *did not improve the confusing situation* (which is: should we buy now, or wait, and which thing should we buy), and while doing so, apparently alienated folks or generated ill will by the "price increase" thing.

My issue is, just to bring it back to where it might be useful to still press Ableton for more information: We didn't get clarity from Ableton. We just got a "wait for a deal in the future, trust us" notice, with specious logic like the response I posted above ("there is no upgrade price because Live 9 doesn't exist as a product yet") …

… so I'm still *hoping* for actual information that would make purchasing decisions easier.

gp23

Post by gp23 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:49 pm

Napole0n wrote:Bottom line is that we're getting a new version of Live, that you can upgrade for a reasonable amount (IMO) and that we should be glad about it instead of whining about a few bucks most of us probably won't even feel.

I guess my point is that the imminent release of Live 9 is a joyful event, and that the whiners take a lot of the joy away.
Maybe I'm more pragmatic, but I don't see a software update as an inherently joyful or miserable experience. It is what it is, but if it makes you happy - that's wonderful. I find it interesting to see what new features have been provided, but this time around there isn't enough there for me to want to upgrade. I'd probably pay a small amount in order to have session automation, but that's really the only new feature that interests me - and I don't personally find it to be worth the base upgrade price of €129.

Personally, I'm at the point where I am 99% content with Live 8 and will be happy to continue using it for many years to come. So I'm really pleased, because my upgrade cost is zero. 8)

agent314

Post by agent314 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:54 pm

gp23 wrote:Personally, I'm at the point where I am 99% content with Live 8 and will be happy to continue using it for many years to come. So I'm really pleased, because my upgrade cost is zero. 8)
My word! The reasonable consumer?!

I thought it was the stuff of legend!

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:57 pm

shadowdancerbnr wrote: Well, that's the point I was making: paying now is probably cheaper than upgrading to 9 Suite later or 9 Standard with the necessity to upgrade my M4L 5 license on top of it.
Well then... glad we are in agreement. Nothing to see here. heh.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:17 pm

Let he who doesn’t smoke cigarettes or weed, nor drink alcohol or designer coffee cast the first stone at cost vs. value pricing.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:25 pm

Sorry if it's been covered already, but does anyone know if one can buy mfl and not the rest of suite for L9 standard?

Thanks.

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:36 pm

dhilsabeck wrote:Sorry if it's been covered already, but does anyone know if one can buy mfl and not the rest of suite for L9 standard?

Thanks.
I've asked the same thing in another thread as well.... Only reason I would get suite is AFL which I think is the most interesting feature in Live, 8 or 9.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:40 pm

kent_sandvik wrote:
dhilsabeck wrote:Sorry if it's been covered already, but does anyone know if one can buy mfl and not the rest of suite for L9 standard?

Thanks.
I've asked the same thing in another thread as well.... Only reason I would get suite is AFL which I think is the most interesting feature in Live, 8 or 9.
Thanks. Me too.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:41 pm

agent314 wrote: Ableton fucked up with the pricing
I dont think so. They smartly tested the market, realised the interest, readiness to part with cash is much higher then expected and acted accordingly (raising initially low prices). They have done it in as diplomatic way as the situation allowed. (Regarding error I believe in it as much as in St.Claus and Easter Bunny)
Many disagree with the entire update/pricing concept which compared to Reason (1$> pay what you want) or Logic (200 for complete DAW) and wont upgrade at all.
Others find it silly to pay now for something that might be top or flop after 6 months when it is released, not to mention that Live 9 is not any more real at the moment then their direct competitor Bitwig.
Those with 100% faith in Ableton got awarded with full suite 8 they can use right now, those undecided punished themselves and have to pay bit more for the same. Those who did not and dont upgrade now can enjoy the money they did not spend and possibly rejoice second time when some competitor, Bitwig, Apple whoever releases something way more attractive.
So what is the point of bitching and whining, everybody should be happy and Ableton in particular.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:50 pm

I dont think so. They smartly tested the market, realised the interest, readiness to part with cash is much higher then expected and acted accordingly (raising initially low prices). They have done it in as diplomatic way as the situation allowed. (Regarding error I believe in it as much as in St.Claus and Easter Bunny)
The error was in setting up a pricing scheme with skewed apparent value.

Paying $170 or however much to upgrade to Suite and getting a free Live 9+M4L is perceived as being a better deal than having to pay $240 for an upgrade when you already have Suite+M4L

That was their mistake. Maybe there was a technical bug on the backend or maybe they didn't make it sufficiently clear that there would be a discounted price for people upgrading from Suite 8, but either way they fucked up and wound up generating a lot of bile (some of it deserved) from the community

I think they've handled the subsequent fallout as well as could be reasonably expected, but they certainly did screw up the pricing - otherwise there wouldn't be nearly 40 pages of confusion/bitching about it

funk_face

Post by funk_face » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:07 pm

started with live intro, liked it. upgraded to live. wanted more so i upgraded to live suite last year. all and all, i think i paid more than the current USD 524 with Live 9 upgrade offer. i had my targets on max for live for USD 187 but now with the live 9 debacle, i am on the fence and waiting to hear back from skynet...eh em...ableton.

if max for live is USD 187 then why am i paying an approximate USD 100 for an upgrade/new version, if we are loyal customers who are appreciated for spending time and money with Ableton (selling our souls and friends). Which has enabled them to develop software thus far?

having asked my question, i like ableton the product AND company. i understand mistakes and ableton and they have a good track record thus far with me. Given my track record with the company, i would eventually shell out whatever in order to get the upgrade. the other stinger for me is that i can just buy max now but it would be smarter to wait for the new version. oh yeah, if i didn't already have the apc40, i would have my sights on 'push' as well.

i hope ableton square us off something proper.

adamdegraff

Post by adamdegraff » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:17 pm

Anybody know WHEN live 9 will be out? Maybe I missed that discussion.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:27 pm

adamdegraff wrote:Anybody know WHEN live 9 will be out? Maybe I missed that discussion.
At this point, they have only stated Q1 2013.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5