Live 9 Pricing

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ttilberg
Posts: 587
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by ttilberg » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:27 pm

adamdegraff wrote:Anybody know WHEN live 9 will be out? Maybe I missed that discussion.
At this point, they have only stated Q1 2013.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

massenmedium
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by massenmedium » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 pm

funk_face wrote:if max for live is USD 187 then why am i paying an approximate USD 100 for an upgrade/new version, if we are loyal customers who are appreciated for spending time and money with Ableton (selling our souls and friends). Which has enabled them to develop software thus far?
Huh?

I guess the prices aren't fully set or clear, but what are you asking exactly?

kitekrazy
Posts: 729
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by kitekrazy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:15 pm

gp23 wrote:
Napole0n wrote:Bottom line is that we're getting a new version of Live, that you can upgrade for a reasonable amount (IMO) and that we should be glad about it instead of whining about a few bucks most of us probably won't even feel.

I guess my point is that the imminent release of Live 9 is a joyful event, and that the whiners take a lot of the joy away.
Maybe I'm more pragmatic, but I don't see a software update as an inherently joyful or miserable experience. It is what it is, but if it makes you happy - that's wonderful. I find it interesting to see what new features have been provided, but this time around there isn't enough there for me to want to upgrade. I'd probably pay a small amount in order to have session automation, but that's really the only new feature that interests me - and I don't personally find it to be worth the base upgrade price of €129.

Personally, I'm at the point where I am 99% content with Live 8 and will be happy to continue using it for many years to come. So I'm really pleased, because my upgrade cost is zero. 8)
Same here for all of my version for FL Studio. I'm not saying all upgrades should be free. I do find it hard to believe that Ableton made that big of a mistake. I don't consider that attitude of those upset as an entitlement but a major disappointment. How do you make an error of $194 and correct it to $299? I tend to believe they changed their mind about giving it a $194. I can understand making a one digit error, but two, not so sure.

kitekrazy
Posts: 729
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by kitekrazy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:16 pm

beats me wrote:Let he who doesn’t smoke cigarettes or weed, nor drink alcohol or designer coffee cast the first stone at cost vs. value pricing.
OK, give me a few stones.

H20nly
Posts: 15834
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:19 pm

^ a'ight, but pass it to the left...

Image

gp23
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:58 pm
Location: UK

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by gp23 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:29 pm

kitekrazy wrote: Same here for all of my version for FL Studio. I'm not saying all upgrades should be free. I do find it hard to believe that Ableton made that big of a mistake. I don't consider that attitude of those upset as an entitlement but a major disappointment. How do you make an error of $194 and correct it to $299? I tend to believe they changed their mind about giving it a $194. I can understand making a one digit error, but two, not so sure.
That's as maybe, but if you aren't happy with the price - don't pay it. If everyone did that, instead of caving in, then Ableton would soon change their stance - no question. If you're thinking "ooh, that's a bit much - but I'll probably pay it anyway" then you have nothing to complain about. You are willing to pay that price - and Ableton receive what they asked for. Some people really need to stop, think and ask themselves "do I really need those new features to be contented with the way I make music?" If so, then you pay the asking price and you get what you want. Otherwise, you just get on with using the software you already own. That's all there is to it.

kitekrazy
Posts: 729
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by kitekrazy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:36 pm

It may be that Ableton did that upgrade price without the consent of the M4L developers. If someone is going to give your software away for free without consent or at a lower price which means a lower cut, then you wouldn't be happy. It could hurt the sales of your current product.

kitekrazy
Posts: 729
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by kitekrazy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:38 pm

gp23 wrote:
kitekrazy wrote: Same here for all of my version for FL Studio. I'm not saying all upgrades should be free. I do find it hard to believe that Ableton made that big of a mistake. I don't consider that attitude of those upset as an entitlement but a major disappointment. How do you make an error of $194 and correct it to $299? I tend to believe they changed their mind about giving it a $194. I can understand making a one digit error, but two, not so sure.
That's as maybe, but if you aren't happy with the price - don't pay it. If everyone did that, instead of caving in, then Ableton would soon change their stance - no question. If you're thinking "ooh, that's a bit much - but I'll probably pay it anyway" then you have nothing to complain about. You are willing to pay that price - and Ableton receive what they asked for. Some people really need to stop, think and ask themselves "do I really need those new features to be contented with the way I make music?" If so, then you pay the asking price and you get what you want. Otherwise, you just get on with using the software you already own. That's all there is to it.
Here's my worry. Will Ableton release another update of 8 for 64bit, or 9 be 64bit and not allow those using Live 8 beta 64 anymore. More of a forced upgrade if you want 64bit.

Szuumm
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by Szuumm » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:41 pm

I obviously can't tell you for sure, but it doesn't make much sense for them to have released a L8 64bit beta if they were going to do that...

re8
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: Earth>USA>CO>Denver
Contact:

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by re8 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:41 pm

agent314 wrote:Having a negative opinion is one thing - and it definitely has its place...Criticism is a good thing when it's making a point. Criticism for the sake of spewing negativity at every possible opportunity is just a waste of time and energy and goodwill.
amen

massenmedium
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by massenmedium » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:26 pm

rikhyray wrote:
agent314 wrote: Ableton fucked up with the pricing
I dont think so. They smartly tested the market, realised the interest, readiness to part with cash is much higher then expected and acted accordingly (raising initially low prices). They have done it in as diplomatic way as the situation allowed. (Regarding error I believe in it as much as in St.Claus and Easter Bunny)
But you do apparently believe some pretty wacky stuff on the basis of no evidence and no credible motive.

That's not how market research is done - and what kind of a test of demand is it to offer something at a price that's absurdly low and makes no sense in relation to the rest of your product line?

massenmedium
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by massenmedium » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:29 pm

William of Occam is growing a bloody beard right now.

fishmonkey
Posts: 4071
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:32 pm

rikhyray wrote:
agent314 wrote: Ableton fucked up with the pricing
I dont think so. They smartly tested the market, realised the interest, readiness to part with cash is much higher then expected and acted accordingly (raising initially low prices). They have done it in as diplomatic way as the situation allowed. (Regarding error I believe in it as much as in St.Claus and Easter Bunny)
"smartly"???

you are usually a pretty level-headed guy. usually.

Surreal
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 1:18 am

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by Surreal » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:38 am

beats me wrote:Let he who doesn’t smoke cigarettes or weed, nor drink alcohol or designer coffee cast the first stone at cost vs. value pricing.
Well, if *that* is the criteria, I get to go to the front of the stone throwing line.

povaratti
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:46 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by povaratti » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:41 am

Its just plain old arrogance and greed while losing sight of the customer.posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=185933#

Your company gets super successful, and you start to believe and sell your own stories. You start executing on the great ideas that you've put off for years in the pursuit of more business, and yet their your goals not your customers. You lose sight of why you became successful in the first place.

Soon your products, partnerships and stories about your great company get very selfish and everyone starts screaming at you. You have no idea what they're talking about because your successful software business has transformed music, made you very comfortable and you have lots of paid people telling you that your stories are smart and right on the money.

Your products and services become less useful, more cumbersome and more expensive. Then someone does something new, like the original Live, and youre on a slow slide to yesterday's news.

same old story....and the website still is there and I'll BET Mikey got his bologna for it.

Post Reply