Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rikhyray

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by rikhyray » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:54 am

fishmonkey wrote:
rikhyray wrote:
agent314 wrote: Ableton fucked up with the pricing
I dont think so. They smartly tested the market, realised the interest, readiness to part with cash is much higher then expected and acted accordingly (raising initially low prices). They have done it in as diplomatic way as the situation allowed. (Regarding error I believe in it as much as in St.Claus and Easter Bunny)
"smartly"???

you are usually a pretty level-headed guy. usually.
I thought it was obvious what "smartly" might mean here (smartly for some and "smartly" for others). This kind of smartness is unfortunately all too present in the business world. Ableton and its religiously devoted followers are all happy, followers that are happy anyway with anything. Some others might find this kind of practice not exactly fair and/or honest.
All that refreshing, the image, website, release event - some love , some others find ridiculous, pathetic or pitiful. The Push crew surely did good job, might be interesting product if it works as promised, but so was Dave Smiths & Linn`s Temptest and other prototypes that never got made.
Past 3 years erased my confidence in this company. The current jerky actions, hiring incompetent company for image, website re design, the update prices game enhance the negative impression. If Ableton was a band, old school record label A&R and executives would probably estimate them with "they do not know where they are going".
Ableton was software that I used for 90% of my work some years back, now it is perhaps 15%. I am too much of realist to dream that "they worked so hard all the 3 years that Ableton will rise like a phoenix from ver.8 ashes". What I see is more like a duck trying to take off after drowning in an oil spill.
Let the fans rejoice, Ableton get their cash, but for those unimpressed, no point in complaining, there no shortage of interesting alternatives.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:33 am

pencilrocket wrote:Why don't Ableton make Live 8 Advanced packaged that includes M4L and few Instruments/FX to slim down the Suite package? Quite a few people don't want gazillions of samples as they already have their favorite samples and sampler.
Yes, you are correct, Ableton does need to create another price point. /sarcasm

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:48 am

Szuumm wrote:I obviously can't tell you for sure, but it doesn't make much sense for them to have released a L8 64bit beta if they were going to do that...
But look at this thread in general. I'm not too trusting of Ableton right now.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:11 am

Surreal wrote:
pencilrocket wrote:Why don't Ableton make Live 8 Advanced packaged that includes M4L and few Instruments/FX to slim down the Suite package? Quite a few people don't want gazillions of samples as they already have their favorite samples and sampler.
Yes, you are correct, Ableton does need to create another price point. /sarcasm
I would be very interested in this product. I've been waiting patiently to dive into M4L once it had matured and now apparently I have to own the whole suite to join the fun? The first price offering was enticing enough for me to take the plunge but now I'm having second thoughts. Though I would still probably pay that first price for L9 upgrade+M4L minus the rest of the suite.

At the very least please still sell M4L as a separate product...

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:59 am

kitekrazy wrote: Here's my worry. Will Ableton release another update of 8 for 64bit, or 9 be 64bit and not allow those using Live 8 beta 64 anymore. More of a forced upgrade if you want 64bit.
I have only skimmed through the last couple of pages.. ( 39 page thread..jesus,... 8O ), so I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but it is an interesting point.

It doesn't make much sense to me that Abes will pull the 64 bit version 8. If they did, it would be pretty poor sport.

Having many 3rd party plugs that cover most of the Live 9 enhancements, I would be very happy to settle for Live 8.5 64 Bit as long as I could use M4L 64 bit, like you can ( supposedly ) in Live 9.

I wonder if this will be an option too, or will we be hit with the $persuasion$ stick to get the 64 Bit package?

When I built my DAW computer 2 years ago, I did build it with a future 64 Bit version of Live in mind. I honesty didn't think it would take this long.

Sure, I'll upgrade to version 9 someday, but I have always jumped straight in, and after the instability with the early Live 8 experience, I have learned patience. :)

0l1v1er

Post by 0l1v1er » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:27 am

is anybody knows the price to upgrade from live 8 to live 9?
why have i only the possibility to upgrade to suite 9?

ominopasticcione

Post by ominopasticcione » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:38 am

is anybody knows the price to upgrade from live 8 to live 9?
why have i only the possibility to upgrade to suite 9?
I suppose the prices from Live8 to Live9 will be out when Live9 is released.
If you want to upgrade now and you have Live8, you necessarily must upgrade to Suite8 (then becoming _Suite) indeed. If you don't wish to upgrade you should wait until Live9 is out, but who knows about the prices..

condra

Post by condra » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:42 pm

How long is this 25% offer running?

re8

Post by re8 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:40 pm

condra wrote:How long is this 25% offer running?
Until they decide that discount is a database error also.

exper

Post by exper » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:55 pm

re8 wrote:

Hahaha! Golden.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:58 pm

re8 wrote:
so act fast!

buy now!

this sale might end!

dj_blueprint

Post by dj_blueprint » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:38 pm

At least Apple is more transparent - they just charge $200 for each full version of Logic Pro, no tiered pricing. Upgrade if you want, but it'll cost everyone the same.. Can't really screw that up.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:44 am

re8 wrote:
Post of the week!

freqn

Post by freqn » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:03 am

Email I received from support:
We are sorry for the confusion about the upgrade prices.

This was an error in our system on the announcement day. We're truly sorry for confusing people, but the prices out now are the correct ones.

The people who purchased the upgrade for this price, or even just created a cart with the intention to do so, were granted this too low price, but unfortunately this is not the case here.

We still think this is a very fair offer, coming with a free Suite 9 upgrade on top, and we hope that during the upgrade campaign you might consider taking this offer.

The upgrade campaign will run until the first quarter of 2013, when Live 9 will be released.

We hope this could clarify things a bit, please let us know if we can be of any further help.

Best regards,

re8

Post by re8 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:03 am

radialson wrote:Email I received from support:
...We're truly sorry for confusing people, but the prices out now are the correct ones.
We still think this is a very fair offer, coming with a free Suite 9 upgrade on top, and we hope that during the upgrade campaign you might consider taking this offer.
The upgrade campaign will run until the first quarter of 2013, when Live 9 will be released....
Thanks for sharing! Nice they apologized :)
I guess you can call it "fair" if getting 25% off 2013 prices today fair.
So best to buy before Jan01 IMHO, though I would think release would sync with some sort of public expo already planned...

I still did not get a reply to my 2 emails, 3.5 business days later.