Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ttilberg

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by ttilberg » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:01 pm

justjohn_jj wrote: Hey, when IS the release date for Live 9 Suite?
John, it looks like the best announcement has been stated as "Quarter 1 2013"
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

justjohn_jj

Post by justjohn_jj » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:06 pm

ttilberg wrote:
justjohn_jj wrote: Hey, when IS the release date for Live 9 Suite?
John, it looks like the best announcement has been stated as "Quarter 1 2013"

(Rubs hands together.) Excellent.

Between now and then, I have no money to spare, anyway.

Thanks.
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:17 pm

ttilberg wrote:They've already said what they needed to say about the pricing confusion. It's too bad people don't respect one another, or the company that provides cool software that people are obviously passionate about.
They haven't said what they need to say where they need to say it. Put it on the actual site, instead of the weird "your best offer" prices, otherwise more and more people are just going to be confused and/or pissed off regardless of the forum announcement (as seen even in this thread).

And this goes well with the respect thing. I have ALMOST nothing but good things to say about Live. I've been a Live user for years. Out of all audio software packages out there, it's the one I've been using most in my whole life. I used it as a hobbyist and, version by version, transitioned to being a professional, using Live as my main environment all the while.

I respect Ableton and appreciate their software a lot. That's why it feels so stupid they are getting so much bad rep because of backfiring PR and marketing during this launch. The fact that I might have to pay 100-130 euros extra is secondary to the fact that their big launch is looking like they don't have their shit together, because of a marketing faux pas and some weird decisions with the site, not so much because of the actual software.

In time, this will all fade, though :) ... and the prices will be all right, like promised in the original post.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:42 pm

Nokatus wrote: In time, this will all fade, though :)
Amen (break).

It just gets me down seeing all the complaining about everything possible in the past year I've been around here. Reasonable feature requests turn into OMFG FFFUUUUUU, then when these requests are fulfilled, people say YEAH WILL IT STILL DOESNT DO OMGGGGG -- and then when they provide awesome new features I hadn't even imagined, people say OMFGGGG ITTTS NOT WHAT I SAID TO DOOOO -- as if Ableton is their personal company. And then it becomes OMG TOO SPENSIVE! Like I said, it just gets me down. People wouldn't talk the way they do if they were real people talking to real people, in the real physical world. If they did, they'd get punched in the balls.

It's just a bummer and makes me wish I had the will power to entirely ignore these types of posts; but Alas, I am trollbait.
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

freqn

Post by freqn » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:55 pm

How long are the discounts valid? I have 8 and plan to upgrade to suite to get 9 suite for free as soon as I'm able to.

merges

Post by merges » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

ttilberg wrote:I cannot bring myself to agree even in sarcasm. I think it's pretty gross how much disrespect is floatin' around here, and people trying to game the system.

They've already said what they needed to say about the pricing confusion. It's too bad people don't respect one another, or the company that provides cool software that people are obviously passionate about. They run a business, and need to make money to pay employees. It's as simple as that.
Are you kidding me? Game the system? We're talking about a market here. The company has something to offer, we want to buy it. In theory and even in practice the price is a matter of negotiation, though it is not done at a person-to-person level. What's happening is the price is being worked out according to the information available.

People who have given Ableton MORE money and who are excited about Live 9 are not trying to GAME THE SYSTEM; they are trying to get a fair price according to what Ableton has offered as a price to people who have given Ableton LESS money.

Yes, people need to pay their employees. Ableton could have charged $500 for the upgrade and you could provide the same flawed logic about how people ought to respond. The problem is the market probably wouldn't bear it, they wouldn't sell many upgrades, and their employees would be SOL. Price is not a static thing, a "set it and forget it" property.

The problem here is Ableton has been opaque on pricing, complicated on pricing, wildly variable on pricing, and the customers are confused and concerned.

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:21 pm

muthafunka wrote:Looking at my upgrade paths....

Upgrade from 8 > 8 Suite then free to 9 $179
Push + upgrade to Live 9 Suite $948

So if I take the second option to get the Push package, the hardware is essentially costing $769 as opposed to RRP of $599

Or looking at it another way, even paying my full non-discount 8 Suite > free 9 upgrade price now and buying Push separately is $239+$599=$838

So I get extra-penalized for dropping a larger amount of cash at the same time ie buying Push and Live 9 Suite at the same time??? Or are they so desperate for cash that they're prepared to take a $170 hit to get even a little bit of it now?

Unless I'm really getting the wrong end of the stick this needs adding to your list of kinks to be ironed out.
This is so weird. So my price for upgrading from 8 > 8 Suite then free to 9 is $194. (More than Muthafunka's quote). The Push + upgrade to live 9 suite is $883 (Less than Muthafunka's). We both have similar situations as far as the price of Push goes. Looks like it's cheaper to buy the 8 suite upgrade now and just pay full price for the Push? Just curious, Muthafunka, do you have live 8 standard? Do you have max for live? I have both live 8 standard and Max for live. Just bought max for live on August 15th, so I'm a bit chagrined. . .

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:27 pm

FFS - stop whining! They've said they're going to clarify the upgrade paths. Just sit back and wait for awhile; let Live 9 sink in and decide if you want to upgrade at all before going off on a tangent. When Live 9 is eventually released, the pricing will be fixed. If you at that point still feel cheated, go ahead and complain.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:28 pm

merges wrote:Are you kidding me? Game the system?
Obviously, this was not their intent: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=185899
merges wrote:People who have given Ableton MORE money ... are trying to get a fair price according to what Ableton has offered as a price to people who have given Ableton LESS money.
Yep, I get it -- I'm in that group. But I've never seen people QQ so hard before in my life. It's not even out yet, so nobody is missing anything yet.
merges wrote:The problem here is Ableton has been opaque on pricing, complicated on pricing, wildly variable on pricing, and the customers are confused and concerned.
I absolutely agree with this.

login

Post by login » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:32 pm

it seems they changed the prices again, now it show to me

Live 8 box

Suite 8 upgrade - 299, incl. live 9 suite

Are you kidding me? 100 USD difference? I hope this is a mistake since it's not event a 25% discount on the normal price of suite.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:42 pm

Hey everyone - you might have noticed some changes to Live 9 upgrade pricing on Ableton.com - due to a bug in our system, the base price for upgrading to Suite 8 was set too low. Our apologies for this error. The prices that you currently see when logged in to your account are the correct ones.

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:43 pm

login wrote:it seems they changed the prices again, now it show to me

Live 8 box

Suite 8 upgrade - 299, incl. live 9 suite

Are you kidding me? 100 USD difference? I hope this is a mistake since it's not event a 25% discount on the normal price of suite.
Same thing just happened to me! My price just went from $194 to $299. I was going back to buy the upgrade :evil:

DJ Diego Vega

Post by DJ Diego Vega » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:44 pm

This is strange the same happened to me!

Yesterday Oct 25th I had the following prices:

Ableton Live 8 (Standard Download) > Upgrade to Ableton Live 8 Suite Download for $194 + free Ableton Live 9 Suite upgrade.

Today Oct 26th I have the following prices:

Ableton Live 8 (Standard Download) > Upgrade to Ableton Live 8 Suite Download for $299 + free Ableton Live 9 Suite upgrade.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Apologies for the confusion - if you're seeing new prices, it's because we've just adjusted our pricing to correct an error in the back-end of ableton.com. Thanks for bearing with us as we work out the kinks in the new site.

OzWozEre

Post by OzWozEre » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:51 pm

Oh well then :roll:

I guess all the Live 8 Suite users can stop bitching about how unfair everything is now :P

(and yes I *did* take a screenshot of my upgrade page yesterday since I guess I *knew* this shit was too good to be true :mrgreen: )
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)