Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kitekrazy

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:26 am

tesla3090 wrote:I just received a reply from support. Basically it seems like if they saw that you had it in your cart before the change they're offering you the discounted price.

Thanks Ableton! You guys really don't deserve all the negativity on this thread. Had you simply told me I had to pay the corrected price I would have respected that. However, my financial situation would have forced me to put off upgrading until a later time, because of this I can now afford it. You make a great product and I'm happy to support it when I can afford to.
Same here.

Thanks Ableton.

bhairav7

Post by bhairav7 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:18 am

They've honored the original quoted discount for me as well because I had it in my cart. Code is showing up as invalid but I trust that should be sorted before long. Cheers to Ableton for doing the honorable thing and winning a dedicated long-time customer in the process.

Monib

Post by Monib » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:46 am

Got mine as well.

c33

Post by c33 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm all for constructive criticism, but the bitchfest around here never ends. News of Live 9's release only seems to have intensified it. lol.
exper wrote: I'll wait to see if Bitwig offers some kind of crossgrade, if not I'll sell Live and move on to Bitwig anyway. Hope those guys know what an opportunity they have right now.
Meanwhile..anything that's not Ableton usually gets a free, warm fuzzy ride. The Bitwig studio praise is always especially amusing, since version 1 hasn't even been released. But some people continue to talk about it like it's so much bigger and better than Live. Alrighty then. Screenshots and promo videos FTW.

exper

Post by exper » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:28 pm

c33 wrote:I'm all for constructive criticism, but the bitchfest around here never ends. News of Live 9's release only seems to have intensified it. lol.
exper wrote: I'll wait to see if Bitwig offers some kind of crossgrade, if not I'll sell Live and move on to Bitwig anyway. Hope those guys know what an opportunity they have right now.
Meanwhile..anything that's not Ableton usually gets a free, warm fuzzy ride. The Bitwig studio praise is always especially amusing, since version 1 hasn't even been released. But some people continue to talk about it like it's so much bigger and better than Live. Alrighty then. Screenshots and promo videos FTW.
Didn't say it's better. But they're new (as ableton once was) and probably eager to get new users. All I know is, I want to get off the upgrade cycle of paying basically for a new program each time.

For now though, I did get confirmation from Ableton that you can buy the boxed Suite 8 upgrade from other companies and still get the Suite 9 upgrade for free. So I'll see if I can find a place like Guitar Center who often offers sales and discount this time of year. Since Guitar Center is charging $309 for the boxed upgrade (remember, Ableton is now charging $469 for the same thing...) then a 15% off coupon will make the upgrade more palatable...

c33

Post by c33 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Didn't say it's better. But they're new (as ableton once was) and probably eager to get new users. All I know is, I want to get off the upgrade cycle of paying basically for a new program each time.
Well, for whatever reason, you must feel fairly confident it will be better, otherwise why would you say you were going to sell Live and move on to Bitwig if they didn't offer a crossgrade? (Which, btw, if they're smart and want to stay on the block a while, they won't be offering special discounts for Ableton Live users. And how would that work anyway?) It seems like you're also assuming Bitwig won't require you to pay to upgrade to newer versions.

exper

Post by exper » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:23 pm

c33 wrote:
Well, for whatever reason, you must feel fairly confident it will be better, otherwise why would you say you were going to sell Live and move on to Bitwig if they didn't offer a crossgrade? (Which, btw, if they're smart and want to stay on the block a while, they won't be offering special discounts for Ableton Live users. And how would that work anyway?) It seems like you're also assuming Bitwig won't require you to pay to upgrade to newer versions.
No, everyone has pay upgrades. I doubt very much that they'll have $399 a year upgrades though... At least not until they're at version 9, bloated with "features", having terrible MIDI clock, promised major new additions (Share?) then reneg on it, and have a crack team of web designers...

c33

Post by c33 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:31 pm

No, everyone has pay upgrades. I doubt very much that they'll have $399 a year upgrades though... At least not until they're at version 9, bloated with "features", having terrible MIDI clock, promised major new additions (Share?) then reneg on it, and have a crack team of web designers..
I'm confused. Who is charging $399 for upgrades every year? Live 8 was released three and a half years ago. My current Live 9 upgrade prices are $159 for standard and $299 for suite (USD).. and Suite owners will be getting an additional introductory discount.

exper

Post by exper » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:48 pm

It's $299 for suite until January. Then it's $399. I see no reason to upgrade from standard 8 to 9. Who knows which of the live 9 new features will never appear just like live 8.

duncjam

Post by duncjam » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:33 pm

As a Suite 8 owner who does not want Max For Live, the only option I appear to have is not to upgrade at all. Thanks, Ableton. :-(

gp23

Post by gp23 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:40 pm

duncjam wrote:As a Suite 8 owner who does not want Max For Live, the only option I appear to have is not to upgrade at all. Thanks, Ableton. :-(
You can upgrade to Live 9 Standard and retain your current Suite 8 components.

duncjam

Post by duncjam » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:44 pm

How does that work? Does Live 9 not install as a separate application like previous versions? Or would it read the Suite 8 instruments from my plugins folder? Does that mean I would not be able to uninstall Suite 8 after installing Live 9?

c33

Post by c33 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:05 pm

duncjam wrote:
Does that mean I would not be able to uninstall Suite 8 after installing Live 9?
Probably not but hopefully this is the case so you'll still have something to be upset about ;)

Thanks for the info, gp23. Good to know a Suite 8 upgrade to Live 9 standard = new Live 9 features + everything you already own from Suite 8.

duncjam

Post by duncjam » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:22 pm

First Reason goes for dongle-based copy protection (amongst other annoyances) and now this. It must be shark-jumping season in the world of music software...

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:26 pm

Can't you just upgrade to suite 9 and not use max.