Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oddstep

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by oddstep » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:17 pm

right. i'd already purchased. what ever works I suppose.

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:31 pm

Send email to support@ableton.com in case you were going to purchase the upgrade for the lower price and they suddenly increased the price behind your back.

freqn

Post by freqn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:51 pm

oddstep wrote:You decided not to buy it when it was that price.
Yep, you're right on this small part of your assumption. It was choice I couldn't avoid due to technical logistics.

If Ableton planned things better, they would've caught the error way before the original pricing went live. Instead, they rushed and burned their customers.
Last edited by freqn on Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:27 am, edited 14 times in total.

exper

Post by exper » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:10 pm

kent_sandvik wrote:Send email to support@ableton.com in case you were going to purchase the upgrade for the lower price and they suddenly increased the price behind your back.

Is that the same as the support message system? Should I send a separate email to the one you mentioned as well?

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:13 pm

exper wrote:
kent_sandvik wrote:Send email to support@ableton.com in case you were going to purchase the upgrade for the lower price and they suddenly increased the price behind your back.

Is that the same as the support message system? Should I send a separate email to the one you mentioned as well?
No, just one single email to support@ableton.com. And be patient, it's a weekend just now.

drez

Post by drez » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:36 pm

So it says in my cart if I upgrade to Box Suite 8, it will give me a free upgrade to "Download" Suite 9. It does NOT say that I will get the free upgrade to "Box" Suite 9.

Does that mean I will have to pay yet more to get the Box version of 9 when it comes out?
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

bhairav7

Post by bhairav7 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:19 am

drez wrote:So it says in my cart if I upgrade to Box Suite 8, it will give me a free upgrade to "Download" Suite 9. It does NOT say that I will get the free upgrade to "Box" Suite 9.

Does that mean I will have to pay yet more to get the Box version of 9 when it comes out?
There is no such thing as "Box" Suite 9. Going forward all additional content will be available to download, i.e. a single product to purchase.

drez

Post by drez » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:59 am

bhairav7 wrote:
drez wrote:So it says in my cart if I upgrade to Box Suite 8, it will give me a free upgrade to "Download" Suite 9. It does NOT say that I will get the free upgrade to "Box" Suite 9.

There is no such thing as "Box" Suite 9. Going forward all additional content will be available to download, i.e. a single product to purchase.
Ah! That sorts it. Thank you kindly. <tips hat>
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

taoyoyo

Post by taoyoyo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:37 am

bhairav7 wrote:

If you scroll down to the bottom of the comparison page here:

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature-comparison/

There's a paragraph about 'the extras you get if you buy the box'... so I would assume there is a boxed option?
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:50 am

from that same page:

What comes with the download version?

A Live 9 installer to download from Your Account.
A PDF manual included with your installer.
The same included sounds as the boxed version available for download from Your Packs.

What extras do I get if I buy a box?

A DVD with your Live 9 installer
DVDs with all your included Sounds
A printed manual
Stickers

this is also how the suite 8 box was, except with suite 8 having the dvd was the only way to get eic2 or session drums - they weren't downloadable, so the d/l version was also cheaper (no licenses for those two either). now they are, and the licenses for everything comes with the d/l version.

OzWozEre

Post by OzWozEre » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:30 am

Sure, there's a box.

Still a good question -- will the +free upgrade to Live 9 (suite) inc. the box?

I say no, don't think so, It's prolly be another $50 bucks or so for that too :?

Edit: That box is fucking gorgeous!
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)

drez

Post by drez » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:55 am

theophilus wrote:from that same page:

What comes with the download version?

A Live 9 installer to download from Your Account.
A PDF manual included with your installer.
The same included sounds as the boxed version available for download from Your Packs.

What extras do I get if I buy a box?

A DVD with your Live 9 installer
DVDs with all your included Sounds
A printed manual
Stickers

this is also how the suite 8 box was, except with suite 8 having the dvd was the only way to get eic2 or session drums - they weren't downloadable, so the d/l version was also cheaper (no licenses for those two either). now they are, and the licenses for everything comes with the d/l version.
Great!

So if I:

1. Don't plan on getting the box set because I have no problem with downloading the Live 9 Suite Content, and
2. Don't mind waiting until 9 Suite comes out to get the full +50G of added content (Download ver of 8 Suite comes with 3 Gig)

Then it would be wisest to upgrade to the Live 8 Suite "non boxed" upgrade, get the +50 Gig of content when 9 Suite comes out, and save about $50.

Does this sound correct?

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:15 am

Box is a waste of resouces except in some cases. Box is ditched and users use virtual tool running on the computer. Not eco friendly.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:02 am

drez wrote: Great!

So if I:

1. Don't plan on getting the box set because I have no problem with downloading the Live 9 Suite Content, and
2. Don't mind waiting until 9 Suite comes out to get the full +50G of added content (Download ver of 8 Suite comes with 3 Gig)

Then it would be wisest to upgrade to the Live 8 Suite "non boxed" upgrade, get the +50 Gig of content when 9 Suite comes out, and save about $50.

Does this sound correct?
Pretty much. Also, if you don't care about printed manuals. (maybe a few people do, most people probably don't).

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:44 pm

Well, I got a response today from Ableton Support about the $100 price hike/mistake/whatever (from a customer point of view it was a price hike.). They just apologized for the increase and that was it. I sent back another response about requesting the original price as I still think Ableton is a good company. If not then I of course will totally reverse my view.