Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Evil_Banana

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by Evil_Banana » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Bebbo wrote:Hello,

I have Ableton Live 8 Suite + M4L and my price is 169€ (apparently after 12/03 will be 249€)

What is the price for Ableton Live 8 Suite ONLY Owners?

How much my M4L is worth?
I have Suite 8 only (no M4L) and my upgrade prices are:
Suite 8 => Standard 9 = 129 Euro
Suite 8 => Suite 9 = 199 Euro 'special offer now' / 249 Euro after that

Bebbo

Post by Bebbo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:59 pm

Evil_Banana wrote:
Bebbo wrote:Hello,

I have Ableton Live 8 Suite + M4L and my price is 169€ (apparently after 12/03 will be 249€)

What is the price for Ableton Live 8 Suite ONLY Owners?

How much my M4L is worth?
I have Suite 8 only (no M4L) and my upgrade prices are:
Suite 8 => Standard 9 = 129 Euro
Suite 8 => Suite 9 = 199 Euro 'special offer now' / 249 Euro after that
30€ discount and for just few days..this is insane

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:00 am

MrMoneypenny wrote: After a night of sleeping, I agree with you! Although 64 Bit is not a distiguishing feature.
If you have 32 bit VSTs, you have to install the 32 bit version to use them. I keep my 32 bit VSTs separate from the 64 bit. Ableton only allows to scan on VST folder. Sonar and Reaper allow multiple VST folders.
The advantage to 64 bit is more memory access.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:02 am

Evil_Banana wrote:
H20nly wrote: i believe that. truly i do.

i also believe that if the company is selling something i want... they have a standard price, that for the most part, i'd be willing to pay.... and then they offer a lower price... i am getting a deal. i can wish the deal was better, but griping about it won't make it so.

it's true that what Ableton have done with pricing is a bit inelegant, albeit somewhat accidental (see pricing oops)... but shit, look at that hideous website! compared to that nothing could be a more in your face and deliberately belligerent mistake on their part!

:P
Agreed, although I'm not only griping about the deal itself, but rather the whole thing. The differences are illogical, the approach even more and they do the same shit all other companies do, reward the new customer, ignore the existing ones. They had 3 years to come up with this? I know griping about it won't change anything now, but not griping about it (and voicing it) will definitely not change anything for the future either.

And I totally agree about the website :D I have yet to find the Forum-link on the frontpage. You know what's even worse than putting up that hideous website? Still having it up unaltered after almost 5 months (and many complaints) :) It does however agree with their entire approach for this launch... "We were going to do it this way and no matter what people say, we will not change course!" :)
Sounds like the same playbook from Steve Ballmer. Meanwhile......the competition gets stronger.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:01 am

H20nly wrote:^ exactly. it's not like this is the be all end all blowout sale for Ableton. they have sales from time to time throughout the year(s). hyper-focusing on this particular one and it's timing and making it all some personal slight is not realistic in terms of the business/consumer model.
I agree, but there's no consideration for loyal customers given with this model. Sorry, but the discount isn't steep enough compared to relative prices for competing DAWs, and if they really do have a million customers then they aren't hurting any. It's their choice of course, but to not expect a backlash after talking about a special deal for existing customers and having it be as little of a discount as possible is asking for it. My discount to 9 Suite is less than 25%, lame.

Plus, I've discovered a bug in the beta, which is now due to be released, frozen GUI at times, hopefully this doesn't turn into anything like 8, but I don't think I want to purchase until the bug is gone, and a $50 discount isn't enough of an enticement to continue to beta test. :x

I mean it's fucking weird isn't it? We all clamor to be volunteer beta testers so the Ableton team can make more money, (people brag about being Alpha testers!) and we pay more for upgrades than every other DAW except Pro Tools. Live users are the whores of the music software world and Ableton are our pimps! :lol:

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:13 am

I'm expecting tons of unrevealed new feature & improvements comes with official release. That's why you shouldn't pay before you check it.

tintala

Post by tintala » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:22 am

Machinesworking wrote:
H20nly wrote:^ exactly. it's not like this is the be all end all blowout sale for Ableton. they have sales from time to time throughout the year(s). hyper-focusing on this particular one and it's timing and making it all some personal slight is not realistic in terms of the business/consumer model.
I agree, but there's no consideration for loyal customers given with this model. Sorry, but the discount isn't steep enough compared to relative prices for competing DAWs, and if they really do have a million customers then they aren't hurting any. It's their choice of course, but to not expect a backlash after talking about a special deal for existing customers and having it be as little of a discount as possible is asking for it. My discount to 9 Suite is less than 25%, lame.

Plus, I've discovered a bug in the beta, which is now due to be released, frozen GUI at times, hopefully this doesn't turn into anything like 8, but I don't think I want to purchase until the bug is gone, and a $50 discount isn't enough of an enticement to continue to beta test. :x

I mean it's fucking weird isn't it? We all clamor to be volunteer beta testers so the Ableton team can make more money, (people brag about being Alpha testers!) and we pay more for upgrades than every other DAW except Pro Tools. Live users are the whores of the music software world and Ableton are our pimps! :lol:
^^^^^^ A - GREED

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:52 am

pencilrocket wrote:I'm expecting tons of unrevealed new feature & improvements comes with official release. That's why you shouldn't pay before you check it.
You're going to be horribly disappointed then. The features they've mentioned are all you'll get. There's no way the beta is going to be changed at the last minute with a ton of new features, period.

Maybe a couple months from now some new feature will be added in like they did with 64 bit in 8, but counting on that isn't a good idea at all.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:01 am

^this

having a whole bunch of unrevealed features while attempting to do a public beta would just be asinine and defeat the entire purpose of having a large beta group

Now I don't know abletons dev procedures but speaking as a software engineering I can tell you there is no way we would ever release a new feature without at least a little bit of public beta testing. The only possible thing we let in at the last minute are fixes for major issues without testing and that's only for really big bugs like crashes

3osc

Post by 3osc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:20 am

So.... is there any indication yet that the Abes even give a shit? I'm not as strongly bothered by it as many, but the upgrade to Live 8 made me feel more like a beta tester than a paying customer, and now all these new customers are getting a smoking deal. A steeper discount to 9 would be appreciated.

rluk

Post by rluk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:31 am

They will give a shit, when these "upgrades" are not selling.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:53 am

Compared to reason, i prefer the longer product lifecycle of Live 8.

Reason gets an paid update (99-129 bucks) almost once a year. I know reason is really stable, but it is also really closed, which has some drawbacks (it's almost like Itunes vs. Android).
So a reason 4-6 upgrader paid significantly more than an early Live 8-user over the years

I hope the Abes don't jump on the apple-wagon, with live 10 out for xmas or so and fancy appstore :roll:

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:05 am

#1thelark wrote:Compared to reason, i prefer the longer product lifecycle of Live 8.

Reason gets an paid update (99-129 bucks) almost once a year. I know reason is really stable, but it is also really closed, which has some drawbacks (it's almost like Itunes vs. Android).
So a reason 4-6 upgrader paid significantly more than an early Live 8-user over the years
that would be a good argument except for one fatal flaw: the Live 8 life cycle was about 3 times longer than every version since Live 1. and arguably it was much longer mainly because it took a long time to iron out a shitload of bugs. you may or may not remember that at one point Ableton even officially halted development of Live 9 so that they could concentrate on making Live 8 more stable.

anyway, it isn't actually the price that bothers me so much as the odd way they have gone about communicating things. they shouldn't use the words "valued customer" unless they are going to put their money where their mouth is.

then again it may be that they painted themselves into a corner with Live 8 being so buggy, and the release of Live 9 being so delayed, since their business model before Live 9 was based upon a new version every year or so.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:45 am

Sorry I didn't know about the update-frequency before L8.
But I guess we'll have to take the integration of max as an update as well, so that adds to the calculation.
Nonetheless imho Live 8 has developed more than Reason from 4-6, just look at the API, Apc-scripts, Clyphx and m4l...

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:48 am

#1thelark wrote:Sorry I didn't know about the update-frequency before L8.
But I guess we'll have to take the integration of max as an update as well, so that adds to the calculation.
Nonetheless imho Live 8 has developed more than Reason from 4-6, just look at the API, Apc-scripts, Clyphx and m4l...
The thing here is that it was a PAID add on.. The option of a runtime m4l wasn't as far as I can recall, even considered.. Now it's bundled with Suite if I'm not mistaken..

So am I correct in thinking that most of the complaints are coming from L8 suite/M4L/APC owners??

Hd