Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:04 am

aqua_tek wrote:Wow, what a clusterfuck.
Aren't you happy you bought it last night? :wink:

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:07 am

I saw the pricing was less yesterday, went to upgrade today and noticed the price was more. It bothered me for about 2 minutes until I reflected on how live to me is the best out there. I still decided to upgrade anyways at the new price without any more than that slight pause of realization. My current version of live is v7, which must be many years old now, and all those years it did exactly what I needed it to. Make and record music in my laptop. I have been planning to upgrade as soon as 9 was announced, for integration and collaboration sakes, sets I worked on in other studios wouldn't jive with 7....
So what, ended up being a little bit more $$.. still worth it.

That said, any of you who have problems with paying to upgrade, nobody is making you... you still can record music and do everything you wanted to do with 7/8? Certainly the new features aren't necessary if you are already creative enough. These days the mentality of a majority of people seems that if they don't own the newest and best thing, nothing is good enough and the old is obsolete and useless. Unless you are a vintage gear junkie like me :oops:

dj_blueprint

Post by dj_blueprint » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:58 am

Is anyone able to actually pre-purchase it? because it just says my pricing and then coming soon - no link to buy.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:09 am

you can't currently pre-order Live 9, but you get "free" upgrades to Live 9 if you buy one of the current Live 8 releases.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:34 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Ableton_David wrote: The price that you're seeing now does include the Max for Live discount, yes. Remember that there will also be an introductory discount for Suite 8 owners upon the release of Live 9 Suite, which you'll also receive.
Would be nice to know what this was beforehand. First quarter of the year is my slow time work wise and it would be great to know what amount of cash I should save, the upgrade alone, or the upgrade with Push. Something close to the 25% offered people to upgrade to Live 8+ free 9 right now would make sense.
True actually, very lean time of the year after Christmas. Not a good time to justify dropping money on software.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:10 am

If it were $1 to $100 correction people would justify their paying more money for supporting devs. But it is $200 to $300 correction. I don't think people can easily change their mind and justify their paying extra $100 for supporting devs.

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:03 am

Stealth Elf

Post by Stealth Elf » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:32 am

Does anyone happen to have validation of what the upgrade prices were say, last week? So we can see if the now hiked base price is really the same as it was?

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:46 am

Yesteday I added the upgrade to suite to my cart, today I look and it has gone up an substantial amount. IMO this is not a very good way to behave, if you say you are going to sell something at a price then stick to it.

I was on the fence but now I have jumped on to the 'wait and see side'.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:14 pm

freedom is the freedom to sell at a price of your own choosing. it looks chaotic and it is confusing but that's mistakes for you. if the situation was reversed how many underpriced licences would you sell just to keep faith?

0l1v1er

Post by 0l1v1er » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:15 pm

Hello,

i bought live 8 two weeks ago, yesterday in my account i had a special price to upgrade to suite 8 for 179€

today when i want to buy the upgrade the price increased to 254€

why?

shpongled

Post by shpongled » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:21 pm

0l1v1er wrote:Hello,

i bought live 8 two weeks ago, yesterday in my account i had a special price to upgrade to suite 8 for 179€

today when i want to buy the upgrade the price increased to 254€

why?

Good question - same here - same for lots of potential customers.

Why? Cos Ableton messed up.

I'd like to think they might make good and note the shop is off-line right now. Maybe it'll go back down :) or up further :cry:

Russell Krauch

Post by Russell Krauch » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:56 pm

If you were renting an apartment that was advertised at $1,200 a month and when you went to sign the lease the landlord said "Oh sorry I made a mistake the rent is really $1,500", would you still sign? This is essentially the same thing. To those here that say something along the lines of "Stop whining, nobody's forcing you to upgrade if you don't like it", well you're right. I don't like it and I'm not upgrading anytime soon if ever. Actually I was more interested in getting Suite than an upgrade to 9. Most of the new features either don't interest me much or I have some variation of them with 3'rd party plug ins.

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:12 pm

Russell Krauch wrote:Actually I was more interested in getting Suite than an upgrade to 9.
And my main interest is Push. I already have most add-ons in Live 8 so buying the Suite license doesn't change anything for my working situation. But it seems Live 9 Suite is needed for Push? I'd like to see a price for upgrading 8 to 9 Suite so I can compare what's the best route for me. Especially since my "buy 8 suite now and get 9 suite free later" price just was doubled. Maybe it will be less expensive to wait and buy 9 Suite directly together with the Push? There are too many white areas in this upgrade map, so the only thing to do now is to wait and see of more accurate information will be presented.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Russell Krauch wrote:If you were renting an apartment that was advertised at $1,200 a month and when you went to sign the lease the landlord said "Oh sorry I made a mistake the rent is really $1,500", would you still sign? This is essentially the same thing. To those here that say something along the lines of "Stop whining, nobody's forcing you to upgrade if you don't like it", well you're right. I don't like it and I'm not upgrading anytime soon if ever. Actually I was more interested in getting Suite than an upgrade to 9. Most of the new features either don't interest me much or I have some variation of them with 3'rd party plug ins.
I would think the Suite would be the least interesting if you have 3rd party plugins.
When it gets to that point of never upgrading, that usually means someone is switching apps.

I wonder what their next step is in pissing people off. Could it be there will be no final release of Live 8 in 64bit and would remove the use of the current beta? In other words forcing you to upgrade if you want to use 64bit.