Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stealth Elf

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by Stealth Elf » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:12 pm

oddstep wrote:Yes. Either people will upgrade or Ableton will have to have loads of promotions to shift enough units to keep their staff paid. Ableton Live isn't a perishable good. Live 8 will work for a couple years easily. Ableton even created new versions of 7 after 8 was released. Suite costs more because it has max for live included.
Then that's just reducing customer choice under the guise of offering more in the package. So now instead of deciding whether or not we need max for live we HAVE to buy it if we want the suite version.

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:13 pm

OK consider this case:

Yesterday I looked at a car and agreed to buy it for 1790euros but I don't have cash. I come back with the cash today but the seller says now the same car will cost 2540euros.

What am I going to do? Say OK its well worth 2540euros or say no thanks I'll look elsewhere for my transport because there are plenty of alternatives. I would go for the later option and I am sure a lot of people would do the same.

Back to Ableton, they could have had 179 euros from me today but I un-impressed by their business methods they won't be getting my of my money for a long time. There are plenty of alternatives for making music (including just staying with Live8).

edit for spelling mistakes

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Yeah. The logical outcome is lots of different licence bundles, Live. Live plus the pure Ableton devices, another one with the AAS collaborations, another one with Max. Everyone would hate that as much as the current system. Remember when Max for Live came out, plenty of people saying it should be part of Live. There isn't a good answer, we all just have to look out for the sale that works for us.

Stealth Elf

Post by Stealth Elf » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:37 pm

oddstep wrote:Yeah. The logical outcome is lots of different licence bundles, Live. Live plus the pure Ableton devices, another one with the AAS collaborations, another one with Max. Everyone would hate that as much as the current system. Remember when Max for Live came out, plenty of people saying it should be part of Live. There isn't a good answer, we all just have to look out for the sale that works for us.
That's the thing, it *should* be part of live but not at extra cost. Obviously all we can do is speculate at the cost of Bitwig at the moment but it looks pretty likely they'll undercut Ableton and that comes with a MAX equivalent + loads of synths etc so is essentially the mirror of Suite.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:38 pm

Not at an extra cost? How does Cycling74 eat then? They aren't part of Ableton. Ableton, I assume, has to give them a cut.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:02 pm

littlepig wrote:OK consider this case:

Yesterday I looked at a car and agreed to buy it for 1790euros but I don't have cash. I come back with the cash today but the seller says now the same car will cost 2540euros.

What am I going to do? Say OK its well worth 2540euros or say no thanks I'll look elsewhere for my transport because there are plenty of alternatives. I would go for the later option and I am sure a lot of people would do the same.

Back to Ableton, they could have had 179 euros from me today but I un-impressed by their business methods they won't be getting my of my money for a long time. There are plenty of alternatives for making music (including just staying with Live8).

edit for spelling mistakes
That would also depend if it were a private sale or through a dealership. Google the outcomes of such situations that happen with dealerships.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:09 pm

Surreal wrote:Not at an extra cost? How does Cycling74 eat then? They aren't part of Ableton. Ableton, I assume, has to give them a cut.
If it weren't for Ableton they would probably starve. Do they have Max for Sonar? I bet they are a part of Ableton. Why wouldn't they license this type of software for other apps?

rbro

Post by rbro » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Has anyone heard back from Ableton Customer care regarding honoring the original pricing for those ordered or were in the midst of ordering? I know they must be swamped and it's the weekend, but I'm curious..........

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:27 pm

kitekrazy. you are mistaken. other not Ableton companies include AAS, Akai and Novation.

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:27 pm

kitekrazy> if it were a dealership I'd tell them to get lost and watched choke over losing their commission. There's plenty of alternatives without putting up with someone who agrees a price then ups it. My understanding is that currently there is over production in the auto industry...

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:30 pm

rbro. Yeah I started freaking out over the general anarchy so I emailed them this morning, they said that they would give me an activation for live 9 when it turned up. good job really since I wouldn't have upgraded to suite without the incentive. Respect for them getting back to me so quickly as well.

rbro

Post by rbro » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:32 pm

oddstep wrote:rbro. Yeah I started freaking out over the general anarchy so I emailed them this morning, they said that they would give me an activation for live 9 when it turned up. good job really since I wouldn't have upgraded to suite without the incentive. Respect for them getting back to me so quickly as well.
What email address did you send it to?

exper

Post by exper » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:42 pm

rbro wrote:Has anyone heard back from Ableton Customer care regarding honoring the original pricing for those ordered or were in the midst of ordering? I know they must be swamped and it's the weekend, but I'm curious..........

No answer here...

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:46 pm

contact@ableton.com

I figured that support would be more focussed on technical stuff, plus support always get hassled, spread the love.

exper

Post by exper » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:00 pm

It was support that Ableton_David mentioned to send the email to...

"Please get in touch with customer care if you had a cart going or were going to buy, at http://ableton.com/support/contact.