On second thought, I'm excited for Live 9.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deva

Re: On second thought, I'm excited for Live 9.

Post by deva » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 am

oneder wrote:
simpli.cissimus wrote:Now Bitwig looks way more interesting to me.
The features announced for Bitwig,
makes it so much innovative then Live 9...
and see if I get there what I need.
Thing is Max4Live is the most important best feature of Live in general. The ability to go in and modify/customize the system at will is golden without dropping into C++ VST land.

Yet, Abe left out major DAW type features such as the ability to edit multiple midi clips/tracks that Cubase does with ease. I feel that leaves Live in the realm of improv/idea machine instead of a Host that allows you to complete serious projects.

Max4Live can only clean up so much of the damage...

It's interesting, but I find that I can only produce repetitive, even barred loops that in the end are not complete projects of any magnitude...More DAW features plese.

Live is a host that a person can use to complete serious projects. If you can't, don't blame the software...

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:19 am

I love it when people criticize LIve because all they've managed to do with it is construct useless session loops that never magically turn into finished songs. It's a consistent go-to argument in other forums when people need to rationalize their love and support for the dinosaur DAWs. It's just a sketch pad... it's just for live shows... it's not Professional with a capital P... that's right, guys. Keep reminding yourselves.

Anyway, I think Tarekith's initial post was dead-on: it's much too easy to underestimate what Push is trying to do. Ableton aren't releasing a controller, they are releasing an instrument. I just watched the videos and I gotta say, I'm impressed. If it's as quick and functional as it certainly appears to be as an instrument (in the sense of playing it with your fingers) and as a sequencer, this device could create a streamlined new language of electronic music composition that in a couple years we'll all think has been around forever.

I'm still totally mystified by people's apparent desire to jump backwards in time & technology to small, menu-diving-based LCD screens for performing complex functions when we have giant, beautiful computer monitors right in front of us (Push, like Maschine, is already being marketed with the 'HEY I NEVER HAVE TO LOOK AT MY COMPUTER TO CREATE THE MUSIC!!!!' selling point, which still just makes my mind deflate) but as a musical instrument / playback device integrated with a powerful host, it looks a lot more promising than anything else I've seen so far (and I share Tarekith's gripes about Maschine's GUI being a very unpleasant experience all around).

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

morbid

Post by morbid » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:44 am

simpli.cissimus wrote:and I'll wait a Bitwig...,
Very good!

Linear Phase

Post by Linear Phase » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:47 am

Let's have a sing along, to the tune of 3 blind mice:

Bitwig suck, bitwig sucks, see how it fails, see how it fails, and here we wait for the bitwig release, and I'd like a toke of your 420 please, bitwig sucks..
Linear Phase has left the building..

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:56 am

db120 wrote:Looks great and it might push me over the edge to ditching Maschine.
Not for me. PUSH seems like it will feel less like an instrument compared to Maschine, as in feel like actually playing a hardware instrument due to Maschine being designed from the ground up so that you can be completely mouseless if you want to. PUSH still won't be able to do many of the things that Maschine does like plugin automapping, Komplete preset integration on the hardware, visually edit samples via waveforms on the hardware, the fact that you can pretty much do everything from just the Maschine hardware without even looking at the computer...etc. Yes, there are actually many people like me who prefer not to have to constantly stare at or click around on a computer screen while making music.

OzWozEre

Post by OzWozEre » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:13 am

I think it's pretty obvious from the timing of this Live 9 launch, the 25% discount/promotions to upgrade, and the fact that it isn't even *out* yet, is Abe's way of putting the kabosh on bitwig... bitwig? ... what's bitwig again? =D

Too bad, but I kinda knew this was gonna happen, it's not easy playing catch-up when the other guy has such a big head-start.

It's like Entrepreneurship 101...
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:19 am

mholloway wrote:I love it when people criticize LIve because all they've managed to do with it is construct useless session loops that never magically turn into finished songs. It's a consistent go-to argument in other forums when people need to rationalize their love and support for the dinosaur DAWs. It's just a sketch pad... it's just for live shows... it's not Professional with a capital P... that's right, guys. Keep reminding yourselves.

Anyway, I think Tarekith's initial post was dead-on: it's much too easy to underestimate what Push is trying to do. Ableton aren't releasing a controller, they are releasing an instrument. I just watched the videos and I gotta say, I'm impressed. If it's as quick and functional as it certainly appears to be as an instrument (in the sense of playing it with your fingers) and as a sequencer, this device could create a streamlined new language of electronic music composition that in a couple years we'll all think has been around forever.

I'm still totally mystified by people's apparent desire to jump backwards in time & technology to small, menu-diving-based LCD screens for performing complex functions when we have giant, beautiful computer monitors right in front of us (Push, like Maschine, is already being marketed with the 'HEY I NEVER HAVE TO LOOK AT MY COMPUTER TO CREATE THE MUSIC!!!!' selling point, which still just makes my mind deflate) but as a musical instrument / playback device integrated with a powerful host, it looks a lot more promising than anything else I've seen so far (and I share Tarekith's gripes about Maschine's GUI being a very unpleasant experience all around).

-M
EXACTLY

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:32 am

I think it looks awesome. Not the forum though, horrible!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:55 am

I haven't posted on here in maybe... several years, but apparently all the fanboy love turned to hate in the interim? It's nice to see Tarekith is still here, however. Maybe a lot of people on here don't produce or perform original music using traditional instruments. Or maybe I'm lazy or ignorant as to what is actually groundbreaking software features. I have no idea but I'm coming from the perspective of someone that plays an instrument, has never seen these solutions, and thinks this release may just be ableton being revolutionary again. I didn't read every post in this thread but I'd like to opine that there's several new features that may just radically change my workflow or lack thereof. For example (and quoting the simplistic website links):

-beatbox to midi: for someone like me that can't translate what's in my brain to what my fingers are doing on a drum pad or keyboard, this is incredible. Let's see how well it works, of course, but c'mon, this is awesome.

-use rhythm from a sampled break to create new sounds: finally. I want to use certain breaks or beats a lot but I always end up trying to recreate them (unsuccessfully) because I'm not really into just stealing a non-transformed 3rd party break. Nothing against other people that do; it's just not my thing. This allows me to grab that beat, change the sound and then add or detract to it, very quickly, and make it my own. This is helpful.

-max4life included: awesome

-capture guitar chords and use them with a synth: I assume this won't work in realtime but, fuck it; this is revolutionary for me. I'm a guitar player and can express myself on the strings but not very well on keys or otherwise. This changes everything for songwriting and doodling. Instead of mashing keys to find that damn chord, I can just play it along with all of the other chords I intended, and all within a one-take. And if this same function allows me to translate beat boxing (vocally produced) basslines to synth, well then, I have just about every workflow solution I can think of.

Yeah, there's probably other software or plug-ins that could do these functions but I'm not aware of one DAW that does them all and I prefer all of my plug-ins to be in-house.

All that said, I'm not sure how I feel about the logo, font, and website redesign. Right now, I'm excited, since I think it all corresponds to their biggest release since 5, but I kinda miss the old logo and minimalist design.
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

philipc

Post by philipc » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:05 pm

From first impressions Live 9 says to me: "quality over quantity". It's not got a huge number of super-flash new toys but it's clear that they've spent significant time rewriting the software at a basic level in order to set it up for the future, to provide a platform for the next stages of its evolution. If it's stable it'll be a triumph (after v8 that's a big 'if' of course!).

Not that it's not got any new stuff. The 'extract midi' feature looks amazing. Real-time audio to midi has inherent problems with accuracy and latency; offline extraction will work much better for composition purposes - it could work well for live, looping performance too, depending on how reliable it is.

But yeah, the website is a disaster. Flashy, confusing and too god damn bright.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:42 pm

mholloway wrote:I'm still totally mystified by people's apparent desire to jump backwards in time & technology to small, menu-diving-based LCD screens for performing complex functions when we have giant, beautiful computer monitors right in front of us -M
Glances at Octatrack.... :oops:

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:21 pm

I really didn’t want or need anything in 9. I have 8 Suite but determined just about everything I use was available in 7. So 9 is just interesting to me, but I’m excited for the people who are excited.

But I’ll probably upgrade if the introduction upgrade pricing is attractive, if for no other reason other than Ableton maintaining my life legacy documented in The Lounge.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:36 pm

After seeing that full promotional video showing more of Push, I definitely want one now :)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:07 pm

Tarekith wrote:After seeing that full promotional video showing more of Push, I definitely want one now :)
Hell yeah me too. Looks like a great all-in-one. I personally wouldn't think that it would be sufficient for full on performances, but great for building up parts and doing tweaks.

Now it's got trying to figure out what would compliment it the best. I like to have one-shot triggers always available as well as mixer functions (sends and some master controls. Do I continue to use Maschine with it? APC40 at the same time? etc..
Professional Shark Jumper.

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:43 pm

philipc wrote:From first impressions Live 9 says to me: "quality over quantity". It's not got a huge number of super-flash new toys but it's clear that they've spent significant time rewriting the software at a basic level in order to set it up for the future, to provide a platform for the next stages of its evolution. If it's stable it'll be a triumph (after v8 that's a big 'if' of course!).
If I understand you right, you think it's O.K., to get a now better and more stable version of Live and pay extra for that.
But when you bought Live 8 you also expected it being the way it seems to be now...?!?!?!
...WOW... :?
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!