On second thought, I'm excited for Live 9.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3dot...

Re: On second thought, I'm excited for Live 9.

Post by 3dot... » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:57 am

I'm all for Live9...
seriously..
session automation recording is one less workaround to deal with... most sought after feature ever!
curved automation was a frequent on the list too...done.
the midi extraction stuff looks cool...remains to be tested...(PolyPhonic ?!)
PDC and timing remain to be seen/heard...
as for fx.. I was liking the old gate/compressor.. hope these are better.
EQ8 looks really nice.. seems they spent some time on that one.
I know there were some goings ons with Looper ... so hope they addressed that...
Max6 M4L remains to be tested.. and 64-bit Max has not yet been announced...

I think it's mentioned that Live won't use a "central Library" anymore..
really want to see what they've done with the browser search and files.. .
and what's the new Library scheme...

but until I can test it on my machine.. it's like BitWig to me.... vapor
it's exciting times when your main app gets bumped up...
I'm really eager to test this now... have been all day

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:59 am

stoersignal wrote:i`m already a live user and i just can say: ok multi monitor support would be nice, but push.... wow . push does what i always wanted to do with loads of midi remotescripts and maxforlive.. and now this is completly integrated. in a very nice way. the browser, audio to midi, session automation. all things that make ableton a better instrument. for me, my alltime goal is to really use ableton like a real world instrument and create music on the fly. looks like this will make this process much more easy and fun.
Agreed. After all that's what Live's original intent was: to be an instrument. It's great to have production features but I'm glad that they aren't losing sight of what made Live special in the first place but in fact seem to be moving more in that direction with the creation of Push.
Unsound Designer

ilya.soloviev

Post by ilya.soloviev » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:01 am

Audio to MIDI sounds great! Do i need to trash my MIDI keyboard? I already see myself singing a melody to Live :)
Last edited by ilya.soloviev on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:02 am

3dot... wrote:I think it's mentioned that Live won't use a "central Library" anymore..
really want to see what they've done with the browser search and files.. .
and what's the new Library scheme...
With Ableton and Cycling '74 seemingly bouncing ideas back and forth the past couple of years it looks like the Abes have taken a cue from C74 and made it so you set up different directories that you want Live to read from like you can do with Max.
Unsound Designer

UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:04 am

Tarekith wrote:One of the things I hated about Maschine, was that when I had to turn to the laptop to do something I couldn't on the controller, the Maschine software was just clunky and slow IMO.

But with Push, if you need to do something that can't be done easily on Push, you still have a really well doen DAW to deal with directly.
This is exactly why I'm stoked. I find Maschine to be so much fun for composing rhythms, but when it comes time to record chromatic parts or *gasp* produce, I'm like, "Why am I even bothering with this?" It's such a nice piece of hardware and the expanded library's amazing, but coming from Live or Cubase it feels more limiting than fun. (And I know that the limitations are part of the idea, and are supposed to be freeing in a sense, but...)

Anyway, yeah, it appears that Push is going to bring most of what I like about Maschine into a REAL DAW. No MIDI drag-n-drop required.

EDIT: I am NOT stoked about the forum's new color scheme, however.

merges

Post by merges » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:09 am

nathannn wrote:not only is the link gone the website is confusing' 'so they didnt delete the forum but they put a full on assult on your eyes for finding it'
The website is a horrifying abomination of a website. My professional self died a little inside.

OzWozEre

Post by OzWozEre » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:31 am

stringtapper wrote:
stoersignal wrote:i`m already a live user and i just can say: ok multi monitor support would be nice, but push.... wow . push does what i always wanted to do with loads of midi remotescripts and maxforlive.. and now this is completly integrated. in a very nice way. the browser, audio to midi, session automation. all things that make ableton a better instrument. for me, my alltime goal is to really use ableton like a real world instrument and create music on the fly. looks like this will make this process much more easy and fun.
Agreed. After all that's what Live's original intent was: to be an instrument. It's great to have production features but I'm glad that they aren't losing sight of what made Live special in the first place but in fact seem to be moving more in that direction with the creation of Push.
Exactly this.
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)

db120

Post by db120 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:42 am

Looks great and it might push me over the edge to ditching Maschine. However, does anyone know if there will be midi upgrades in the direction of traktor's looping and such?

What about Push's color scheme, those white lights would tire my eyes out quick! Anyone know if colors can be changed or at least dimmed (guessing yes on the latter)?

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:06 am

db120 wrote:Looks great and it might push me over the edge to ditching Maschine. However, does anyone know if there will be midi upgrades in the direction of traktor's looping and such?

What about Push's color scheme, those white lights would tire my eyes out quick! Anyone know if colors can be changed or at least dimmed (guessing yes on the latter)?
on cdm you can read that the lights are going brighter when you power it and they say that it`s completly programmamble, so i guess: yes

ilya.soloviev

Post by ilya.soloviev » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:11 am

Actually if to think for a moment AUDIO to MIDI thing is AWESOME and difficult to implement feature! So for me it covers a lot of other features thats didn't implemented. It opens a new dimension to the whole music creation process. Can't wait to see it in action!

merges

Post by merges » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 am

Yup. Live is still a killer music creation tool. An instrument. And it looks like it's still getting better. :)

oneder

Post by oneder » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:16 am

simpli.cissimus wrote:Now Bitwig looks way more interesting to me.
The features announced for Bitwig,
makes it so much innovative then Live 9...
and see if I get there what I need.
Thing is Max4Live is the most important best feature of Live in general. The ability to go in and modify/customize the system at will is golden without dropping into C++ VST land.

Yet, Abe left out major DAW type features such as the ability to edit multiple midi clips/tracks that Cubase does with ease. I feel that leaves Live in the realm of improv/idea machine instead of a Host that allows you to complete serious projects.

Max4Live can only clean up so much of the damage...

It's interesting, but I find that I can only produce repetitive, even barred loops that in the end are not complete projects of any magnitude...More DAW features plese.

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:23 am

oneder wrote:
simpli.cissimus wrote:Now Bitwig looks way more interesting to me.
The features announced for Bitwig,
makes it so much innovative then Live 9...
and see if I get there what I need.
Thing is Max4Live is the most important best feature of Live in general. The ability to go in and modify/customize the system at will is golden without dropping into C++ VST land.

Yet, Abe left out major DAW type features such as the ability to edit multiple midi clips/tracks that Cubase does with ease. I feel that leaves Live in the realm of improv/idea machine instead of a Host that allows you to complete serious projects.

Max4Live can only clean up so much of the damage...

It's interesting, but I find that I can only produce repetitive, even barred loops that in the end are not complete projects of any magnitude...More DAW features plese.
actually i`m finishing much much more projects than in logic before. i worked with logic for 9 years, just sometimes i used ableton, but since maxforlive i never went back to logic.
don`t get me wrong: m4l isn`t the reason why i finish all my projects that are worth it, it was only the reason i switched, but ableton and it`s workflow itself

db120

Post by db120 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:49 am

stoersignal wrote:
db120 wrote:Looks great and it might push me over the edge to ditching Maschine. However, does anyone know if there will be midi upgrades in the direction of traktor's looping and such?

on cdm you can read that the lights are going brighter when you power it and they say that it`s completly programmamble, so i guess: yes
Thanks, actually was reading CDM's article on Live 9 when you posted and it answered my first question - no new MIDI improvements a la Traktor.

jonahhh

Post by jonahhh » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:31 am

stringtapper wrote:
Yeah, more proof that Ableton is smarter than the majority of users. Including me, but I know it, at least.

Push can be used to visualize information, so you do get a second type of display that also works as an instrument. With M4L you can make your own visualizations on push too.

The only productivity improvement they left out of 9 is to nuke the forums. :)