New logo and Site design look cheesy. What do you think?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pencilrocket

New logo and Site design look cheesy. What do you think?

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:08 am

The new logo lools like made by 10 years old boy. The color scheme appears to be made for organic food recipe web site.

What do you think?

Napole0n

Re: New logo and Site design look cheesy. What do you think?

Post by Napole0n » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:54 am

I like the large, bold imagery. Some of the colour choices are a bit off IMO, some text is pretty hard to read due to the foreground and background colours being too close together or being complementary and therefore inducing headaches.

But all in all I think they made a reasonable attempt at a more modern, 'lifestyle' kind of look for better or worse. I would have preferred a tighter, delicate look instead of the urbany stuff (the contrast with Apple is immense for example; they go for clean and no cables at all, while the Ableton site seems to add as much cables, vintage old stuff and hand written torn off labels as possible), but that's a matter of taste. The old site looked pretty bland and boring, so it's an improvement but it needs some work to make navigation clearer and solving those colour clashes.

I'd rate it 6/10.

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:16 am

I think they made a mobile site and forgot that some people still use computers for the internet.

Less huge text, please

ilya.soloviev

Post by ilya.soloviev » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:24 am

Actually new website looks good on my Nec 27" PA271W with 2560 x 1440...The only thing i don't like is text header over images. It would be better over half transparent line or something...

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:46 am

I like the new site design, but am not wild about the font choices

Also, I'm not liking the sharp corners on the new logo etc. I liked the rounded edges they had previously

I dig the hard lines on the Push, but do not really like the font on it. Not a huge deal though, obviously

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:55 am

@OP:
Exactly my thoughts!

The redesign of the logo is a big step back! I bet you this was the original design of the logo back in the twentieth century. Because that would be the first thing you would come up with, when you try to abstract the core of Ableton Live in a logo. Only it's now left like that, which seems very un-inspirational by the designer and uninspiring for their users.

They took out all the movement of the original logo, which I strongly associated with Live being a music program. If you'd see just the lines now without the word Ableton it could be just about anything... Maybe just some Korean words...

And removing the rounded corners? The rounded corners were giving it it's friendliness. Now, if you already were afraid of the grey (look of Ableton Live), the logo will scare you away for sure! There is nothing human about this logo, anymore.

Also, please don't put this (new) logo on top of an image on your website! It creates an annoying aberration, because of the (imo bad) spacing between the lines, on screen, making the lines look uneven.

Seriously Ableton: It's your logo, the face of the company! You could've put a little bit more thought into this!

And the site is just OMG. I guess they wanted to give their site a more human touch, indie, niche kind of look, which is obviously the direction Ableton is going with including M4L included in their Suite. But the problem is, that it now looks like it is "designed" by the site programmer himself, instead of a designer.

The colours are maybe a taste issue, but still not related to Ableton Live in any way; so seeming a random choice.

I am however more annoyed by the site navigation and overview. It used to be straight forward and easy to oversee. Now you have to scroll a lot and there is no fast way to navigate to different parts of the site. You always have to scroll (a long way) back to the top to continue.

Readability has become very difficult with some of the background images and wrong colour choices for texts.

To me the website now feels amateurish rather than "special".

... I guess you are right pencilrocket: they were made by a ten year old boy. Most probably the son of Abletons director! (That's how it usually goes in these cases ;) )

I still love Ableton Live to death and I am happy with a lot of the things coming in Ableton Live 9, which is probably why it hurts me even more to see what they are doing to their visual identity! :(
Last edited by UnCL0NED on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:04 am

The new logo is kind of nice. Not sure about the website but I think it'll change in the future anyway.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:37 am

i can't remember the last time i was as excited about a new website. that and the push design -- the sharp edges, the new logo.
wouldn't have thought you could put futura to such, well, futuristic use in 2012. very impressed.

K1D1M35N

Post by K1D1M35N » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:32 am

Who cares about logos?

I even cannot recall what the old logo looked like, have to open Live to remember.

But on the other hand, I could have done the new one within five minutes... ;)

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:34 am

The new design is awesome and if you don't think so then your music is probably not cool at all!!

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:23 am

Hmmm interesting

I kind of like the wires and cables all over the show.

They are saying this is for real people who make music in living spaces...

My studio is almost as messy :)

The only thing that does NOT work is the text over the pictures. You are right, it is hard to read and is well amateurish.

fabrice segura

Post by fabrice segura » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:14 am

i don't like the new design :|

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:43 am

I think I couldn't care less about the logo or the colour scheme or the website design. None of that has any bearing on the product or what i think of it.

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:48 pm

i love the old logo...

tintala

Post by tintala » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:09 pm

Im not sure about you guys, but I would rather they waste their time on crappy logos than make innovative software and controllers that help producers create tracks from scratch... i mean the logo is what allows us to make music after all. 8O