Live has had Dual Monitor support since version 8.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
friend_kami

Re: Live has had Dual Monitor support since version 8.

Post by friend_kami » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:56 pm

H20nly wrote:it's probably that most of the people who want dual monitor support don't have M4L.

they couldn't afford it because it costs the same as a spare monitor and they don't have time to program it because bitching about not having dual monitors is very time consuming. :P
how about arrangement view on one screen and session view on the other?
yeah, good luck getting max for live to do that without ninjaskills.
or the browser and devices on one screen and another screen for editing only.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:03 am

H20nly wrote:it was a joke.

having said that, i believe that Ableton have kept their DAW to a single window intentionally.

lastly, don't let all the threads speaking as though this minuscule bit of general information is unbending gospel. Live 9 hasn't been released yet... was there a bullet point on the page that said: no dual monitor support
:?:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:03 am

H20nly wrote:it was a joke.

having said that, i believe that Ableton have kept their DAW to a single window intentionally.

lastly, don't let all the threads speaking as though this minuscule bit of general information is unbending gospel. Live 9 hasn't been released yet... was there a bullet point on the page that said: no dual monitor support
:?:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:04 am

^ posted two more times for the hell of it.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:05 am

10 to one odds that even if Ableton make Live 9 a dual monitor application there will still be something someone complains about.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:11 am

JuanSOLO wrote: where the hell have all you dual monitor fanboys been, maybe lost in all your monitor clutter?
I used dual monitors for years, dropping down to a laptop and a 28" monitor for the last couple years.
Now I'm thinking about a second monitor again for the Mac Pro. If you've never used Logic or DP or any other DAW that has reasonably fast switching of screensets with dual monitors and a set of global user assignable key commands then you wouldn't know why some people want it. This is exactly why I think most Live users aren't using the Max patches, because they haven't ever become well versed in a traditional DAWs workflow and can't see the advantage. Plus, it's not like you have Session and Arrangement View, you have a simplified version of only the mixer from Session.

Personally though, Live has certain obvious user interface choices that Ableton aren't going to budge on. A single interface that doesn't overlap on a single monitor is one of them. So if I want the workflow of a dual monitor DAW I crack open Digital Performer.

hps909

Post by hps909 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:29 am

Scaper7 wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote: It's not a floating of the Mixer, Its like a floating window that controls the mixer, and receives control from the mixer.
So ... no real multi monitor support?

Not sure what the problem is with the basic concept. There are 3x23' monitors in my studio but when I'm working with live I'm constantly resizing the arrange view, MIDI editor, mixer and browser while two 23' monitors just sit there. I put up with it because it's a great program but the lack of this feature is simply bizarre considering this is one of the most innovative audio apps available.

Just what is the problem with implementing this most basic of feature in 2012? I've been running multi monitors for 15 years now. Pretty much every studio I go to has the same. Spend some time in bigger recording setup where Live is just one of several programs in constant use and it's obvious how vital this feature is.

What a perfect opportunity to include it in Live 9.

what he said.... it's the constant resizing that really lets ableton down, it's counter intuitive and a workflow retardant probably fine if you have an 55 inch monitor but on a 20 " it's as annoying as hell .. you cant do serious midi editing, audio editing, warp markers without the constant resize of the the 3 elements browser , arrange/session , and edit panes. put the edit window on the second monitor..
hell make multiple tracks editable on the second monitor at the same time ..

even reason caved in and made their sequencer detachable.. studio one has detachable elements... halion 4 has detachable elements...
single window interfaces are annoying.. at least make them dockable so the people who like the single widow thing can keep it the way it is
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:42 pm

hps909 wrote:
Scaper7 wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote: It's not a floating of the Mixer, Its like a floating window that controls the mixer, and receives control from the mixer.
So ... no real multi monitor support?

Not sure what the problem is with the basic concept. There are 3x23' monitors in my studio but when I'm working with live I'm constantly resizing the arrange view, MIDI editor, mixer and browser while two 23' monitors just sit there. I put up with it because it's a great program but the lack of this feature is simply bizarre considering this is one of the most innovative audio apps available.

Just what is the problem with implementing this most basic of feature in 2012? I've been running multi monitors for 15 years now. Pretty much every studio I go to has the same. Spend some time in bigger recording setup where Live is just one of several programs in constant use and it's obvious how vital this feature is.

What a perfect opportunity to include it in Live 9.
+1

what he said.... it's the constant resizing that really lets ableton down, it's counter intuitive and a workflow retardant probably fine if you have an 55 inch monitor but on a 20 " it's as annoying as hell .. you cant do serious midi editing, audio editing, warp markers without the constant resize of the the 3 elements browser , arrange/session , and edit panes. put the edit window on the second monitor..
hell make multiple tracks editable on the second monitor at the same time ..

even reason caved in and made their sequencer detachable.. studio one has detachable elements... halion 4 has detachable elements...
single window interfaces are annoying.. at least make them dockable so the people who like the single widow thing can keep it the way it is

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:35 pm

hps909 wrote: ... the people who like the single widow thing can keep it the way it is
People who like the single window thing shouldn't know any difference ... much like all the other multi monitor capable programs they currently run on their single monitor systems.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Scaper7 wrote:People who like the single window thing shouldn't know any difference ...
unless it was by choice.

djanciano

Post by djanciano » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi, just try to "undock view" in Live 8, but in the view menu, i don't see "undock view" between "full screen F11" and "Info ?" what do i wrong? And yes i got two monitors on my MacMini!
Tnx
MacBookPro 15" MacMini I5, Ableton Suite 9 64/32 Bit, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC20, Audio 2 DJ, Samsung 27", KrK Rockit 5, KrK Headphones, Kontrol S4, Ipad 2 TouchAble, TouchOSC, LoopTastic & Studio HD

http://soundcloud.com/djanciano

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:27 pm

djanciano wrote:Hi, just try to "undock view" in Live 8, but in the view menu, i don't see "undock view" between "full screen F11" and "Info ?" what do i wrong? And yes i got two monitors on my MacMini!
Tnx
That image is a mockup created by someone to show how it could/should work in their opinion. There is no "undock view" feature.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

djanciano

Post by djanciano » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:43 pm

synnack wrote:
djanciano wrote:Hi, just try to "undock view" in Live 8, but in the view menu, i don't see "undock view" between "full screen F11" and "Info ?" what do i wrong? And yes i got two monitors on my MacMini!
Tnx
That image is a mockup created by someone to show how it could/should work in their opinion. There is no "undock view" feature.
Tnx Synnack :wink:
MacBookPro 15" MacMini I5, Ableton Suite 9 64/32 Bit, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC20, Audio 2 DJ, Samsung 27", KrK Rockit 5, KrK Headphones, Kontrol S4, Ipad 2 TouchAble, TouchOSC, LoopTastic & Studio HD

http://soundcloud.com/djanciano

synnack

Post by synnack » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:47 pm

No. It's not.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:11 pm

funken goofy