Live has had Dual Monitor support since version 8.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rosko

Re: Live has had Dual Monitor support since version 8.

Post by Rosko » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:56 pm

why keep resizing? just use shortcuts. i have them setup on a mouse that has 7 extra buttons & its a very fluid work flow. I used cubase & floating windows & it was a pia to use. I don't see its single monitor design as wasting a monitor rather gaining space for other things.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:29 pm

I have used dual monitors for production and video editing work for 10 years and the ones that say it's of no benefit haven't sat down to do some serious work on both setups. Using dual monitors is a lot different than just using a single big monitor, especially for multi-tasking or mixing in Ableton and editing in something else. Try rewire and operate 2 programs using just 1 monitor.

If I could split the arrangement view to a second monitor I would be in heaven. I have a custom designed editing pad that has all the Ableton shortcuts such as Tab, Duplicate, Copy, Undo/Redo etc which is great for productivity but being able to just drag a clip to arrangement, edit and chop and then drag parts back to clips withut having to tab all the time would be so much better.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 pm

jestermgee wrote:...the ones that say it's of no benefit haven't sat down to do some serious work on both setups...
not true.
granted I dont think it's of no benefit, but I do feel it promotes bad workflow, and the tiny increments of time one uses to bounce back and fourth adds up to a lot of wasted effort, especially for those who are concerned how much tab is slowing them up.

I agree Ableton could make some workflow enhancements, especially if they are set on single monitor, but I still believe dual monitoring is more wasteful than productive. It lacks ergonomics as well.

I found a 30" monitor to be much better after years of using dual monitors in video/music production.

what would be rad is if you had custom hot menus as you can in something like Maya, set up wacom pen flicks, ninja style.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:59 pm

MAGNETO_66 wrote:Having a full screen mixer window on one monitor and the arrangement view on a second one should be a BASIC feature …
Being able to put whatever you want on whatever monitor(s) you're using to enhance your own particular workflow should be a basic feature... :wink:

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:30 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:
jestermgee wrote:...the ones that say it's of no benefit haven't sat down to do some serious work on both setups...
not true.
granted I dont think it's of no benefit, but I do feel it promotes bad workflow, and the tiny increments of time one uses to bounce back and fourth adds up to a lot of wasted effort, especially for those who are concerned how much tab is slowing them up.

I agree Ableton could make some workflow enhancements, especially if they are set on single monitor, but I still believe dual monitoring is more wasteful than productive. It lacks ergonomics as well.

I found a 30" monitor to be much better after years of using dual monitors in video/music production.

what would be rad is if you had custom hot menus as you can in something like Maya, set up wacom pen flicks, ninja style.
If single monitor works for YOU personally then that's the main thing. Dual monitors are a personal thing I think. They are just tools, like any other piece of hardware around you. What works for some is not that important to others. I could never go back to a single flicker box though. In fact I might add another one so I can dedicate it to this forum :D

dj_blueprint

Post by dj_blueprint » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:43 am

It's pretty easy to understand that they don't want to release dual-monitor support until Live 10 or 11, or 12.

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Looks like someone is building something in Max for Live using the API to do something similar: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=558836844133504
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

rowingrunder

Post by rowingrunder » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:34 pm

@synnack. you're right indeed! we are building a 'dual monitor' plugin! so far we've booked some progress.

- self-recognize second monitor. deploys to full window screen with background of ableton's 'grey skin'.
- extract all data from audio-tracks to our 'v-track' (virtual channel-strip)
- reset and set certain points from 'v-track' to actual ableton faders.
- and some more stuff we're forget to mention haha.

feel free to like us on our page (http://www.facebook.com/CrystalMotion) to keep up-to-date of our devices and stuff. or maybe some idea's to work out!
we're heavily using images and other GUI related things, so if you have questions or maybe some idea's just post some reactions. we like nerd stuff but the practical side also needs points haha.

grt rowin