Price Changed in "Live 8 Upgrade + Free Live 9"?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ableton_David

Re: Price Changed in "Live 8 Upgrade + Free Live 9"?

Post by Ableton_David » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:48 pm

Please be patient with support and customer care at the moment - as you might imagine, many people are contacting Ableton in light of last week's new announcements. Please also refrain from sending multiple emails about the same topics - you will hear back from someone as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

fabrice segura

Post by fabrice segura » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:48 pm

good companies honor their mistakes, bad ones not.

8) ableton is a good company don't worry

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:32 pm

fabrice segura wrote:good companies honor their mistakes, bad ones not.

I know myself mid-next week or so when I get a response from support.

craftycurate

Post by craftycurate » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:03 am

[EDIT]
Core i7 2.3GHz|Win7x64|8GB|1.5TB & Core 2 Duo T7200, XP Pro SP3,
Nio 2|4, Edirol PCR800, NanoKontrol , Komplete Synths + Reaktor 5, Cameleon, Alchemy, FabFilter 2 suite
http://www.myspace.com/richardlyallmusic http://craftycurate.blogs.com

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:45 pm

kent_sandvik wrote:
fabrice segura wrote:good companies honor their mistakes, bad ones not.

I know myself mid-next week or so when I get a response from support.
I got a response, they just apologized and nothing else. So I sent another response. I gave them another 24 hours to make sure they honor their mistakes, if not they are indeed a nasty company.

ilya.soloviev

Post by ilya.soloviev » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:57 pm

Does it mean you won't get free update to Suite9 ??

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:32 pm

I bought the upgrade BEFORE they noticed the mistake and changed the prices.
wrote to support after reading so many comments about the new higher price, ableton informed me that they put out the wrong prices at the beginning.
Anyway I got upgrade to suite 8 for CHF 227 and i'll be getting live 9 suite for free when it comes out. Sorry for the mistake, but happy to have bought it straight away -I'll get what I paid for, since it was a mistake on their side.
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Why should Ableton honour the lower price if you didn't place an order at that price? If you go to your local supermarket to buy some milk and the price has gone up since yesterday, do you go to the manager and demand that they sell it to you at yesterdays price?

This wasn't a price increase. The original price listed was incorrect and they corrected it.
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:27 pm

They placed the order during that lower price. So if you buy your milk and the shop says we will deliver it too you later and when they arrive they say pay me again you go o what I will shop somewhere else bye. But if they say oops our mistake you can have it cheaper this time as we promised you that cheaper price by mistake.

Rule in business is it takes ages to get a lot of customers but its easy and fast to blow it with every current customer.

Wish every DAW maker made thier DAWS ilok only then they could sell it at a far cheaper price and make more money.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:34 pm

XSIMan wrote:They placed the order during that lower price. So if you buy your milk and the shop says we will deliver it too you later and when they arrive they say pay me again you go o what I will shop somewhere else bye.
It's different if they actually placed the order. In which case Ableton probably should honour it, most companies do especially when there isn't any actual loss to them, though they won't always be legally obligated to.

I wasn't talking about those people though, I was referring to those that didn't place an order and are now complaining that they should get the lower price as they had it in their cart or were thinking about it. No reason at all why Ableton should give the lower price to those people especially as it was obvious an error had been made with some of the pricing.

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:04 pm

Ableton can indeed set any pricing they want. But then they have to live with the negative repercussions with let's say customers who saw the price, went home to download it and saw the price hike.

Most customer friendly companies that want to maintain a long-term customer relationship with especially long term customers would just have swallowed this price hike per customer contact as they know that negative public feedback will just hurt them long term. So I really don't know why Ableton is so stubborn and are causing themselves harm left and right just now.

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:06 pm

jonny72>

It wasn't obvious that an error had been made in the pricing. I logged in to my account, put it in the cart but didn't buy becuase I needed to check my bank balance. Next day there was a message in the cart saying the selection had gone up. Remeber the price you are quoted depends on what you already own, it isn't quoted publically.

The write up suggested that the price would be valid until Live9 was released.

IMO this whole afair of the procing is bad practice. It makes the seller look a bit stupid if they can't make up their minds on what price they are going to charge.

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:28 pm

Can't believe they're doing this.
I was ready to hit buy, but did my maths and it didn't agree with my overdraft limit. (would have cost me £45 in charges - if I'd known this was gonna happen !)
It just leaves a really sour taste in the mouth

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:34 pm

kent_sandvik wrote:price hike.
Whatever you think of what happened you can't really call it a price hike. Maybe you should go for one and walk it off.

Incidentally I don't see many Suite owners or others who were looking at paying the intended prices (if they wanted the upgrades) complaining that some people have got a super good deal. That's nice for them - it doesn't mean everyone is somehow entitled to an accidental unbelievable deal.

So you were ready to buy because the price was ridiculous - well guess what - apparently they don't actually want to sell it to you for that price, and never did!

Now you're looking at prices in line with what was intended and what other users were offered. It might change, but there it is.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:52 pm

kent_sandvik wrote:Ableton can indeed set any pricing they want. But then they have to live with the negative repercussions with let's say customers who saw the price, went home to download it and saw the price hike.
If they were to offer the lower price again then the Live 8 Suite owners would complain unless they got an even lower price. Those that own MFL as well would want a price lower than that again. So to keep everyone happy they would practically have to give the upgrade away to everyone that owned Live 8 Suite which would be financial suicide. As it is they're going to have to offer the upgrade to Live 8 Suite owners for the same €179 (or lower) or there will be more complaints, which is bad enough.

Someone is going to be upset and at present it's just those that saw the erroneous price and didn't take advantage of it. It's not good for Ableton but I reckon it is their best option and the least damage.
littlepig wrote:It wasn't obvious that an error had been made in the pricing.
It was obvious. The Live 8 Standard to Live 9 Suite was priced lower than even the Live 8 Suite & MFL to Live 9 Suite upgrade. Why would they offer a lower upgrade price for a lower level product? Added to which the forums were full of people commenting on the discrepancy including some pointing out it must be an error (me included).