How sensitive will the pads be on PUSH?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hoffman2k

Re: How sensitive will the pads be on PUSH?

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:14 am

Jesse wrote:In regards to the pad size/shape, we looked at everything out there, from piano keys to guitar frets to MPC pads, and everything else, and we looked at how lots of different people play. Where we aimed for is big enough to play drums with two fingers, small enough to play melodies. Calipers were used, and fat fingers, and skinny fingers. I am really happy with where we got to (yeah, biased, I know).
J
How do the pads compare to Maschine MkII. They're the most sensitive I've played so far.
Are the values the pad produces immediately converted to a 0-127 range in the hardware? Or would there be a way to get a 0.-1. float range?

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:43 am

hoffman2k wrote:
Jesse wrote:In regards to the pad size/shape, we looked at everything out there, from piano keys to guitar frets to MPC pads, and everything else, and we looked at how lots of different people play. Where we aimed for is big enough to play drums with two fingers, small enough to play melodies. Calipers were used, and fat fingers, and skinny fingers. I am really happy with where we got to (yeah, biased, I know).
J
How do the pads compare to Maschine MkII. They're the most sensitive I've played so far.
Are the values the pad produces immediately converted to a 0-127 range in the hardware? Or would there be a way to get a 0.-1. float range?
Maschine has a much higher resolution than the MIDI limit of 0-127 values. I believe Maschine hardware's resolution is over twice that, at least for the original Maschine hardware. The MKII pads are supposed to be even more sensitive but I'm not sure how they went about achieving that.

Upright

Post by Upright » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:01 am

delicioso wrote: How do the pads compare to Maschine MkII. They're the most sensitive I've played so far.
Maschine has a much higher resolution than the MIDI limit of 0-127 values. I believe Maschine hardware's resolution is over twice that, at least for the original Maschine hardware. The MKII pads are supposed to be even more sensitive but I'm not sure how they went about achieving that.[/quote]

WOW...twice that huh? My MPD 32 is 127 but double that would be pretty impressive! I can't wait to get Push in my workspace.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:39 pm

Upright wrote:The MKII pads are supposed to be even more sensitive but I'm not sure how they went about achieving that.
They respond to the touch. Like in maybe just a pinch harder than you would work the touchscreen of an iDevice.
This means that corner hits actually register. Which is my major gripe with all drum pad controllers. Circular sensors and square pads do not mix.
Not sure how they did it. But its definitely more sensitive. Not sure how it would handle on a trembling table, but for studio use its a great improvement. Nice aftertouch too.

So hopefully Push is more Maschine MkII than Akai MP*

re8

Post by re8 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:46 pm

humnumb wrote:If you spend 10-20 minutes with Maschine's new Ableton Live template, you realize you can already do with Maschine in Live what Push does. It has exactly the same flow as APC40, + PAD SCALES. Year you heard me right. PAD SCALES, with colors & shit.
I would think the 4x the number of smaller buttons will be better for some.

deeplfo

Post by deeplfo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:36 pm

I just got my Push yesterday, and am seeing myself having to really work at the Push pads to get the sensitivity that I prefer. I also have an Axis-49, as well as regular keys, but I like Push for a lot of reasons. However, would like a way to set the sensitivity.

Is there a way to set the velocity sensitivity of the Push pads?

Thanks,
- m O

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:54 pm

press and hold the user button, display will change, then you can change velocity thresholds and curves. First thing I had to do on mine as well to get it closer to the padkontrol feel i was used to, like the lighter touch and by default i found i had to pound on them as well

deeplfo

Post by deeplfo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:07 pm

ezelkow1 wrote:press and hold the user button, display will change, then you can change velocity thresholds and curves. First thing I had to do on mine as well to get it closer to the padkontrol feel i was used to, like the lighter touch and by default i found i had to pound on them as well

THANK YOU :-)

- m O