Push for live use as a performance controller

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
jamyn

Push for live use as a performance controller

Post by jamyn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:36 am

What's your initial impressions?
I'm thinking it just might revolutionize my solo live glitch womp show. Thus far, its been a hybrid of dj and live PA with keytar wankery. I'm looking to go more towards a far more improvised live experience, using on little 4-8 bar loops of other tracks as samples to mix-n-match while I build beats on the fly and play live synths. The push just might be the answer for this... I'm just curious exactly how the interface is going to respond in a live environment.

Thoughts?
----
http://www.jamynmusic.com
http://www.facebook.com/jamynmusic
keytar wizard || producer || ableton certified trainer || live audiovisual performer || jazz pianist
live organic electronica.
(((new album: 6.30.2013)))
--

ShelLuser

Re: Push for live use as a performance controller

Post by ShelLuser » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Push isn't a controller, its an instrument. There's a huge difference there.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:57 pm

ShelLuser wrote:Push isn't a controller, its an instrument. There's a huge difference there.
That's great to hear! I got that impression from the demo video. Have you tried it hands-on?

I play a lot of EWI in my concerts and I imagine the Push would be a perfect complement, just because it is both a sound design controller and an instrument of its own right. Comparing it to the Eigenharp the Push doesn't come out very expensive either.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

sounddevisor

Post by sounddevisor » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:12 pm

ShelLuser wrote:Push isn't a controller, its an instrument. There's a huge difference there.
Doesn't that depend on how you define "instrument?" To me, and despite Ableton wanting to call Push an instrument, it's still a controller. It doesn't generate any sound on its own, you need to connect it to a computer running some software. By my definition, that's a controller - just like a MIDI keyboard controller with no audio engine of its own.

Don't get me wrong - I think Push looks very interesting, and I'm pretty excited to get my hands on one. It looks to me like Ableton have come up with a very useful, flexible piece of hardware that will open up a lot of possibilities in terms of workflow and performance. But I think calling it an instrument is a bit of marketing hype.

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Per Boysen wrote:
That's great to hear! I got that impression from the demo video. Have you tried it hands-on?
And how would one do that when it hasn't been officially released yet? :roll:
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).

reeloy

Post by reeloy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:01 pm

...as far as i can judge push for now...

push will be the last step before we get brain to midi.....

and if runs rock solid, there's only one limit...your imagination horizon....wether it's for stage or studio abuse....

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:19 pm

sounddevisor wrote:
Doesn't that depend on how you define "instrument?" To me, and despite Ableton wanting to call Push an instrument, it's still a controller. It doesn't generate any sound on its own, you need to connect it to a computer running some software. By my definition, that's a controller - just like a MIDI keyboard controller with no audio engine of its own.
You raise some good points, but I think the Push is simply too specific to be described as 'midi controller'. You see the same thing with Maschine; its being presented as an instrument. Of course; that includes both the hardware and software part, but considering how Push is fully designed for Live I don't think they're really that much off.

Although it could have been called something a little more specific I suppose; a 'Live MIDI instrument' for example, that would probably best cover the thing.

So quite frankly, I'm not too sure that this all about marketing (which is obviously involved here).
With kind regards,

Peter

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:56 pm

push and live together = instrument