Poll : rate Live 9 . Vote now!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

How do you rate Live 9 overall in terms of FEATURES

1 star
6%
2 stars
14%
3 stars
22%
4 stars
36%
5 stars
22%

Total votes: 158

OzWozEre

Re: Poll : rate Live 9 . Vote now!

Post by OzWozEre » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:55 pm

For me it's the little things like the new File Browser.

Just this last week I spent hours just sorting through all my samples CDs/Oneshots/Loops. Having to go and audition 1000's of samples/patches only to find a few you really like is something I *don't* want to do again and again -- now I can rate them and sort, done!

So I give 5 stars just for that! :mrgreen:
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:25 pm

timday wrote:Well OK since I started the M4L thing I guess I should chip in my bit.

I hardly ever program with M4l. I got it assuming I would, but somehow I never have the time.

I use M4L all the time though. I find that every time I want to do something in Live that it doesn't have the capability for, someone has built a M4L device. Step sequencers, interface bobbins, all kinds of stuff not to mention what seems an infinite supply of weird-ass synths and effects. So I don't regret getting it for an instant.

I think the key thing is though that it opens up Live into an extendable piece of software in the way that say Logic or Pro Tools aren't. It turns it from a piece of software that you can only do certain things with into something you can pretty much do anything with as long as either you have some programming skill or, crucially, someone else does and has posted their device on the web.

If you don't like it I guess it may not be for you (although I don't do buffer shuffling stochastic stuff either and, well, as above I like it fine) but I don't see how including it in 9 suite is anything less than huge.
exactly what im thinking

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:31 pm

I've never really pondered a Live version to this extent before, so I went to the step of actually writing a blog post about it... 8O

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:28 pm

funken wrote:Yeah, good point, I'm clueless about M4L as I've never had the dosh to buy it, but obviously I'm gonna have to get 9 one way or another (I'm willing to sell my body if anyone's interested) so it'll be interesting to get my teeth stuck into M4L.
Me too!

OzWozEre

Post by OzWozEre » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:03 pm

stoersignal wrote:
timday wrote:Well OK since I started the M4L thing I guess I should chip in my bit.

I hardly ever program with M4l. I got it assuming I would, but somehow I never have the time.

I use M4L all the time though. I find that every time I want to do something in Live that it doesn't have the capability for, someone has built a M4L device. Step sequencers, interface bobbins, all kinds of stuff not to mention what seems an infinite supply of weird-ass synths and effects. So I don't regret getting it for an instant.

I think the key thing is though that it opens up Live into an extendable piece of software in the way that say Logic or Pro Tools aren't. It turns it from a piece of software that you can only do certain things with into something you can pretty much do anything with as long as either you have some programming skill or, crucially, someone else does and has posted their device on the web.

If you don't like it I guess it may not be for you (although I don't do buffer shuffling stochastic stuff either and, well, as above I like it fine) but I don't see how including it in 9 suite is anything less than huge.
exactly what im thinking
Ditto x1000

I was saying something along the same lines on another thread:
Theoreticals aside I think we shouldn't underestimate what having M4L will mean for Live once it becomes more pervasive -- this gets to the heart of Abe's decision to bundle M4L in Live 9 for free -- it's strategic.

Can you imagine what kind of ecosystem that could grow? Think App Store for iPhone, App Store for Shopify etc... an App Store for Live! =D

There is a very fine line (or should I say large overlap?) between designers/programmers/producers when it comes to Ableton. It's very "hacker friendly" IMO, I think we will see alot of interesting developments in this area -- I know I will be thinking of programming with it for example...

So yeah, there maybe some features that might not be baked in on the "factory level", but we have an opportunity to get *alot* more out of it as time progresses == WIN IMO.
viewtopic.php?p=1446171#p1446171
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)

deva

Post by deva » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:27 pm

Angstrom wrote:
I think the big thing, which people aren't mentioning, is M4L integration as part of suite. This is at a guesstimate an extra £150 or so worth of software chucked in. I know it's a bit of a bitch for those of us who already have M4L but for anyone else it's a bargain and I still hold out hope for a cheaper upgrade path.
I think the value of Max4Live depends on the user though eh?
If you weren't intending to buy it, don't really have a use for it, and never open it, then what is it worth?

A lot of people here bought it and then got rid of it because it actually distracted them from making music.
How much is it worth to that kind of user, versus the kind of user newly entranced by making patches.
(even the M4L enthusiasts agree its so deep and complex as to be a distraction from music)
JuanSOLO wrote: I really like M4L and I have enjoyed learning it, but the result has been very little music made. I finally gave it a rest and strated making music again.

Anyway ... The Value is relative to the user and the usage.

I don't have to spend any time trying to make stuff... I can just use existing M4L devices...

deva

Post by deva » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:40 pm

mihai wrote:well although it doesn't look to be chock-full of features, if it's a core rewrite and will be more responsive then it's already getting 5 stars from me.

+1...

hps909

Post by hps909 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:08 pm

if it had detatchable windows / dual monitor support i would've blindly dropped cash straight away, but there is really nothing there that interests me in any big way except maybe clip automation that earned a star .. 2 stars lets hope bitwig cuts the mustard
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

dab

Post by dab » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:37 pm

nathannn wrote: in 3 years we have seen another company start from scratch and add everything that was available within live plus more than even this release offers.
its really starting to look like the people that left ableton for bitwig were the real back bone of the company.
Right on?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:16 am

nathannn wrote: in 3 years we have seen another company start from scratch and add everything that was available within live plus more than even this release offers.
its really starting to look like the people that left ableton for bitwig were the real back bone of the company.
:roll:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:29 am

Tone Deft wrote:
:roll: :roll:
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:31 am

nathannn wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
:roll: :roll:
I want to play too! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:44 am

sporkles wrote:I want to play too! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:45 am

Live 9 incorporates several of my fondest wishes, posted years ago. Audio to midi, huge creative win.
The beat extractor is also great.

To build out a song from a simple melody is the essence of music creation. To play with the same notes in a way that creates "question/answer" phrases is wonderful.

I'm assuming that no features are discontinued, just to note, but it really makes me glad to see these new features. I have to admit, with some regret but also relief, that I thought the Abes might have lost the plot, and gotten wrapped around the axle a bit.

But they have really pulled it together. The vision is very clear on this release.

Now, Push, this is intriguing, it does pull together several use models into one package that has key features from multiple successful controllers.[color] lots [/color] This is less compelling to me, but I really think I might like it. I have a launch pad, and several also controllers, and they're fun.
Last edited by mikemc on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:14 pm

It seems to pull a lot together. Max integration, Push, much needed browser clean up, expanded sound library etc. Given the time they've taken between versions I'm hoping this one is tight from 9.0 on. Without a doubt this is the most interesting creative audio app on the planet. Push & M4L integration is huge ... and also audio to MIDI conversion. Great to see Ableton head into V9 looking so good.