L9: Mapping a MIDI note range to a MIDI clip: Still broken ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
UnderwaterSunlight

L9: Mapping a MIDI note range to a MIDI clip: Still broken ?

Post by UnderwaterSunlight » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:55 pm

This bug was there in L8 as a broken feature:
The feature of mapping a MIDI key range to a session MIDI clip (for freely transposing that clip via MIDI notes) is still broken in L8.
It is a feature highly important to my workflow (I am one of the many predominantly MIDI-based users).
If this is not being addressed in L9, I consider it as a symptom of a low priority concerning MIDI functionality on the part of the responsible folks at Ableton.

So, all MIDI geeks using Live 9 or betatesting it:
Please check that out and reply to this thread.

Or, better still, Ableton: Let me test that feature in L9 myself. I wish to be enrolled in the Beta testing program as a heavy MIDI user.
Throw it at me, please !
Apple MacBook Air M2 (2022), 24 GB RAM, 1TB internal SSD, MacOS 12 Monterey (up-to-date), Ableton 11 Standard (up-to-date), NI Komplete 14, Steinberg UR22 mkII

yur2die4

Re: L9: Mapping a MIDI note range to a MIDI clip: Still broken ?

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:33 pm

How is it broken?? I seem to have no trouble mapping clips to midi keynote ranges and having my way with them in all sorts of manners.

UnderwaterSunlight

Post by UnderwaterSunlight » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:12 pm

In some sets it works, in others not. There the playback of recorded notes is unlike what you hear while recording notes.
Ableton have confirmed the issue on their systems some time ago.
I will dig up the thread in which they confirmed it as a bug and link to it here.
Apple MacBook Air M2 (2022), 24 GB RAM, 1TB internal SSD, MacOS 12 Monterey (up-to-date), Ableton 11 Standard (up-to-date), NI Komplete 14, Steinberg UR22 mkII

UnderwaterSunlight

Post by UnderwaterSunlight » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:24 pm

In this thread I have outlined how to reproduce the bug (a rather lengthy post):
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137211
That thread was posted with Win XP in mind, but I just now confirmed the bug on Win 7/64 and Live 8.4beta8 x64.

casiblake

Post by casiblake » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm more interested to know if MIDI timing is still "broken" (specifically: there is severe latency) whilst using AUTO or IN monitoring options during record.

Live 9 holds no interest to me unless the MIDI timing has been fixed. For years I've not been able to play VSTs in real time "properly" (i.e. the only latency should be the MIDI interface + audio + CPU) in Live, whereas Cubase, Logic et al have no trouble doing this.
-- Blake Casimir : Melodic Space Techno / Electro / Ambient Galaxies --
Bandcamp Orbital Station / Soundcloud Nebula / Warp Portal Homepage