Good Speakers for Producing Rap

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MLinskey

Good Speakers for Producing Rap

Post by MLinskey » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:08 pm

So I am buying a bunch of my equipment within the next couple of months. I have decided to go with the Ultrason HFI-580 Headphones, AT2020 USB Mic, AT8449 Shock Mount, Stedman Corporation Proscreen XL(Pop Filter), On Stage stands MS7701 Tripod Boom Microphone stand and now I am just looking into buying some good speakers.
I am planning on making my own little home studio, where I produce in my room (nothing special) so when I produce I want the end result to sound perfect on ALL speakers.
I have read that some speakers will make your voice sound good, but I've also heard that if you buy those speakers that take a bit better quality producing to make it sound "good" your speakers then it will sound even greater on everyone else's speakers.
I heard that the KRK RP8's are quite good, but does anyone have any suggestions? Also if you anyone could inform me on what exactly I should be looking for in speakers when producing Rap Music it would be greatly appreciated.
If you aren't someone who can do it,
then pretend you're someone who can and then do it - Inspired by Neil Gaimen

beats me

Re: Good Speakers for Producing Rap

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:20 pm

You’ll probably get plenty of recommendations for speakers but let me be the first to say that the room you’re working in can make a huge difference too….which is kind of a voodoo science. It doesn’t just stop at getting the right speakers.

I realize this is more of a warning than helpful. Just don't want you to think you got lied to when buying recommended speakers when the problem is in fact the room. :x

MLinskey

Post by MLinskey » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Is there a way to tell which speakers would be good for certain rooms? Or is it basically just getting lucky?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:35 pm

look up 'room treatment' & 'reference monitor placement' for the best answers to that.

the placement and room treatment will be the same regardless of music genre.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:03 pm

H20nly wrote: the placement and room treatment will be the same regardless of music genre.
Unless it's dubstep, in which case the room first and foremost needs sound-proofing.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:53 pm

the preferred method for dubstep is to treat the head on the room.

nutterwithbutter

Post by nutterwithbutter » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:25 pm

Live 9 will have better sound so you don't need speakers.

Personally I use and recommend the focal CMS range - good value for my small problematic room

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:50 am

MLinskey wrote:Is there a way to tell which speakers would be good for certain rooms? Or is it basically just getting lucky?
Its just about setting them up properly to get the most of the speakers. Issues with the room won't be solved by different speakers. Anyway, personally wasn't impressed by the KRK RP8s, didn't find the low end "accurate" enough and a bit hollow in the mids. Best thing to do is get yourself to a shop with a wide range of material to test different speakers with (Anything from classical to rap to rock to minimal techno), just turning up with your favourite songs won't tell you whether the monitors are good for mixing/producing, just that your favourite songs sound best on those monitors.

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:16 am

I just bought a pair of mackie MR5's and I'm very happy with them. The mids are more clear than anything else I've owed or tested under $300/pair.
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

MLinskey

Post by MLinskey » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:28 am

Is there any brand of speakers that tend to be known for Studio Producing?

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:26 am

I've heard these are pretty good for RAP & Dubstep.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:25 pm

^ those are good for hi frequencies, but he'll still need something to accentuate the low end. which means he'll need more friends to get them down the stairs. think epic and your tracks will be epic thats what i always post.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:55 pm

MLinskey wrote:Is there any brand of speakers that tend to be known for Studio Producing?
1. Genelec
2. Adam or Dynaudio