Ableton Support response to Live 9 PDC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andydes

Re: Ableton Support response to Live 9 PDC

Post by andydes » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:38 pm

The response doesn't sound like it's being fixed for live 9 release.

I understand the need for impressive shiney features to be a major part of a release. Session automation has been the most requested feature for several versions.

And I suspect it's going to push the pdc thing into the forefront. There'll be a lot of people automating everything a lot sooner in their workflow and applying effects afterwards, then automating some more. Pdc timing will become more apparent to more people using live 9 than before.

Hopefully, it will be addressed if not on release, then soon after as a point update.

But please keep this kind of elitist rubbish to yourself.
jtdj wrote:Yes Ableton has some nice features to use live, but lets face it the majority of those users are terrible DJ's and unispired button pushing "musicians". Ableton should be concetrating mainly on production features not press play "dj" features.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:19 pm

wait, but the jtdj has point there. And it's not purely insult though he spoke harshly. Did you watch the new feature unveiling part of the preview video? They are showing how to make percussion by converting wave data and how to rip Bill Evans's chord from a waved song with their digital tool.

Don't you think that we need to improve our ear step by step through practicing and making music if we don't want to be called 'terrible DJ's and unispired button pushing musicians'?

To implement instant auto song making tool would be fine if Ablton wanted to make a tool for newbie hobbyist. But I don't think that isn't what they intend to develop. It creates more chance to be called noob DAW.....

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:06 pm

pencilrocket wrote: Don't you think that we need to improve our ear step by step through practicing and making music if we don't want to be called 'terrible DJ's and unispired button pushing musicians'?

To implement instant auto song making tool would be fine if Ablton wanted to make a tool for newbie hobbyist. But I don't think that isn't what they intend to develop. It creates more chance to be called noob DAW.....
Well I could argue that automation features are used mainly by button pushing DJs, whereas "real musicians" who play instruments other than synths could get a lot of use out of audio to midi.

But that would rude.

banned

Post by banned » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:43 am

andy_cytomic wrote:
banned wrote:
[…] We also spent time on the SRC for The Glue, but as this is a new device, I can't say it is an improvement.

The SRC algorithm of the overall application is being addressed in current development, and scheduled for completion in time with the release of Live 9.
That first line is funny - I'm sure I read or heard somewhere that Glue Compressor has a latency of *1* sample. I can certainly live with that not being compensated for. :D

The last bit is very promising though. I hope they tackle the outstanding issues before release.
The "Glue Compressor" device does not introduce any latency unless you engage the linear phase oversampling filters.
Fwiw, I have found where I read about that 1-bit latency thing again; it was this post by Peter Kirn on CreateDigitalMusic (emphasis added):
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/10/ableton-9-live-more-tools-for-starting-and-finishing-music-first-hands-on-details/ wrote:For analog-style compression, Ableton has turned to Cytomic to bundle an Ableton-native version of Glue, an already well-loved 80s compressor emulation in software. If you’ve used it before, you already know Glue. What’s new in the Ableton version is improved performance: you get 1 sample latency and less CPU utilization versus the original plug-in, says Ableton, now that it’s native in the host.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:09 am

CooCooCaCha wrote:I'm glad they are addressing delay issues with Live's built-in plugins, however, I'm concerned that the issues with 3rd party plugins aren't being addressed. This is a big deal for people who use synced effects like VolumeShaper, LFOTool, etc.
Huge +1 for this. I found out that VolumeShaper doesn't work well in Live only after I bought it. Works great in every other DAW though, since they report proper latency to plugins.
It's bad enough that the plugin authors have a FAQ about why it behaves so badly in Live.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:13 am

PS One sample latency adds up + causes phasing when you start doing multiple instances / parallel compression / fancy routing etc

Oh well, at least it will guarantee more "summing bus sucks" and "muddy mixes only in Live" threads for years to come.

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:53 pm

I would like to encourage the OP to send Ableton another mail
and ask them to answer the original question.
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)