How to do these functions with Push? (attn Jesse et al.)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

How to do these functions with Push? (attn Jesse et al.)

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:16 pm

Hey Abes,

I think I'm starting to look more forward to Push than Live 9! I am trying to gauge how quickly you can do certain things and if it several things can be done fast enough for live situations. But a few questions, so hopefully Jesse or some Abe can answer a few quickies:

-How do you control drum rack sends from Push? Is it a quick button combo? And how to control the return devices too.
-How do you expand group tracks, is it very quick?
-Is there any sequencing of regular midi tracks? Or just drum rack tracks?
-Would it be possible to control a device on one track while the drum rack note mode is up for another track? (ie. knobs for one track and pads for another). Can devices be locked to the control surface from the hardware?
-Will it be possible to have the buttom left pads are drum rack triggers while the top 4 rows stay as clip launchers (instead of sequence steps)
-How do you select different banks of parameters for a device? Is it a tedious next/previous button or can you directly select a bank like on the APC40?
-This may be more of a M4L question but will the parameter names show up on the Push display for Max for Live devices that have parameters mapped from other live devices? Currently I think the names are passed on, at least not in touchable on the ipad.

Thanks!
Last edited by glitchrock-buddha on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professional Shark Jumper.

3dot...

Re: How to do these functions with Push? (to Jesse et al.)

Post by 3dot... » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:32 pm

how do you browse rack chains at all... ?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:39 pm

3dot... wrote:how do you browse rack chains at all... ?
Yes, another good question - for instrument racks, how to select parallel chains.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:25 am

How does control volume work. I'm curious
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:42 am

seems the 8 knobs become 8 volumes with 1mode, maybe 8 pans and aux send, then i guess there is a track mode that maps them to 8 knobs of the racks, and maybe a pan, volume and 6 sends per track

would be great if the ribbon was the selected track fader

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:47 am

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:...would be great if the ribbon was the selected track fader
That would be cool... and if it doesn't have that now, there's always the possibility of firmware updates! :D

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:46 pm

bump.

electrofux2007

Post by electrofux2007 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:04 pm

yeah, please more details on the step sequencer :!:

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:19 pm

artpunk wrote:
Muzik 4 Machines wrote:there's always the possibility of firmware updates! :D
...for a product which hasn't been released yet... comeon ppl.
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:38 pm

Can the encoders automatically move start/end points for samples or loop brace for clips?

Slicing from the controller?

Is there any way to quickly duplicate pads on Drum Racks from the Push controller?

omutumo

Post by omutumo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:26 pm

delicioso wrote:Can the encoders automatically move start/end points for samples or loop brace for clips?
I would also like to know this. Removes a lot of 'hands-off computer/mouse' functionality if you can't scrub tracks for samples.

The ability to, eg. use a pot to move up in bars, another for beats and maybe the ribbon for really fine off the grid adjustment? That would be sweet.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:34 pm

I think whats becoming apparent is, that a lot of people are asking for features that they KNOW work on other controller/software solutions. (mainly Maschine)
I think this is more than fair, as NI obviously set the standard here. So maybe a comparison list is in order: What does Maschine do/ What will Push do.
Both will do some things better (For me per-step automation in Maschine vs. that awesome keyboard implementation in Push)
I think one should in that comparison also keep price at least somewhat in mind. So Push with Live Intro vs. Maschine.

I use Maschine mostly as a step sequencing and (surprise!) sound design solution. For that I got the: http://www.galbanum.com/products/archit ... forms2010/
(What an awesome product! and only USD 40)
And made a lot of 128s (a lot of work in the Maschine software because you have to adjust the root note fore EVERY f... ONE of the 25 000 single cycle wave forms!)
After that?! Maschine is a VERY capable wavetable-synth for 40 USD. That I can immediately step- sequence with full per step automation.
Now! Live's Sampler is so much more powerful! (A lot better filters (Morph!), better envelopes, 3! freely assignable LFOs and the possibility for FM and AM modulations via the inbuilt Osc! )
As a start: a sound design dream (if it is as accessible by the controller as the one from Maschine) But I lose the per step automation. (I can not really mix those two approaches by just keeping Maschine (as I will probably anyway for the awesome pads as a drum controller))

anyway I lost my point :lol: (Drunk ramblings)

But:
-a comparison list would be cool
-the Galbanum architecture waveforms are the shiznit
-I want to make Push in Live (my favorite DAW) an even better sound design tool for myself than Maschine already is
-I drink too much.....?

Edit: if the guys from Galbanum want my Maschine (Sampler) presets to give as an add-on for their customers, just PM me, I am absolutely willing to give back by sharing with them! ( I can obviously not share with other people as all those preset contain Galbanum's Waveforms)

Jesse

Re: How to do these functions with Push? (attn Jesse et al.)

Post by Jesse » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:30 am

Hi all,
I'm working on answering your questions as best I can. I'll start a sticky with FAQ soon, hang tight.
Jesse

glitchrock-buddha

Re: How to do these functions with Push? (attn Jesse et al.)

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:31 am

Jesse wrote:Hi all,
I'm working on answering your questions as best I can. I'll start a sticky with FAQ soon, hang tight.
Jesse
Thanks man! Much appreciated. It just feels like so long until Q1 2013!

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:13 am

störgeräusche wrote:
artpunk wrote:
Muzik 4 Machines wrote:there's always the possibility of firmware updates! :D
...for a product which hasn't been released yet... comeon ppl.
I'm talking about after its released if not initially implemented obviously. If Ableton sees this suggestion and acts on it prior to release I'd be more than happy, but such implementation cannot be ruled in or out until all the specs are out. What was your point exactly?

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records