'ADVICE ON UPGRADING FROM LIVE LITE 8'

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
amsmarle

'ADVICE ON UPGRADING FROM LIVE LITE 8'

Post by amsmarle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:20 am

Hello, I'm after some advice please.

I am getting used to and enjoying using the 'Abelton Live Lite 8'(it came with my new Focusrite 8i6) thanks to help in getting started from this forum.

I record vocal and acoustic guitar and then do some editing to get the best sounding results possible... that's it.

So for someone like me are there any advantages in upgrading at all. I have used Cubase 5 and Audition 3 and still use Reaper. But I feel sure that Abelton is the best DAW, so I would be willing to invest to upgrade, but would appreciate some advice as to the advantages of upgrading for just vocals and acoustic guitar

Thank for any advice

Regards

Alan

Napole0n

Re: 'ADVICE ON UPGRADING FROM LIVE LITE 8'

Post by Napole0n » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:22 am

What would you expect from an upgrade? What limitations are there for you now which would be removed if you ugpraded? There are feature comparison charts available between the various versions, if there are features you'd like but which you don't have now, upgrade. If there's no useful features for you, don't upgrade. Upgrading for the sake of it is just silly.

amsmarle

Post by amsmarle » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi Napole0n, thanks for your reply, however.. as I said I am new to Abelton, and I explained what
I generally do with Abelton. Since I don't as yet fully know my way around Live Lite. I was hoping for some advice from experienced users who use Abelton in a similar way to my own use. Who would know... more than I (at this time) regarding any advantages in an upgrade, for example...What limitations there are in Live Lite which would be removed if I upgrade

Cheers

Alan

Valyo

Post by Valyo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:22 pm

seems to me for 'just vocals and acoustic guitar' you would be fine with lite. don't base your decisions on 'what people say' but rather what you need. so upgrade when you get further with production and you hit a wall when you want to do something which is missing in lite. my 2c :)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:39 pm

yeah... honestly if you get Suite, then you will have everything Ableton has to offer and the limitations will be limited to what no version of the software can do.

realistically... you're probably better off to keep playing your guitar and recording your vocals for a bit. find something that you want to do but cannot do, then... find out why... if that reason points you in the path of an upgrade then go for it... at that time, when you KNOW you want/need it.

besides, Live 9 is close... there will be deals and delays and complaints and fixes and all sorts of madness over, at least, the next 90 days or so. IMO, you should keep working with what you have and take your time before throwing down all your loot for features that are far beyond your current needs.

another option would be to download the full demo and give it a test drive that way.

amsmarle

Post by amsmarle » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 am

Thank you all, your replies are most helpful.

I will do as suggested and educate myself within Live 8 Lite

Once more many thanks

Regards

Alan

sammantix

Post by sammantix » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:41 am

I have a similar topic issue here.

I have live lite 8. (launchpad and alesis editions). when I look at my upgrade paths, the price to do love standard is almost 20 dollars more than if I didn't have an lite license guess I am asking if this os a mistake or can I just buy the new license ignoring my lite authorization?

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:34 am

maybe contact support for this

sammantix

Post by sammantix » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:35 pm

i put in a question sunday.. but still no reply =/

login

Post by login » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:12 pm

sammantix wrote:I have a similar topic issue here.

I have live lite 8. (launchpad and alesis editions). when I look at my upgrade paths, the price to do love standard is almost 20 dollars more than if I didn't have an lite license guess I am asking if this os a mistake or can I just buy the new license ignoring my lite authorization?

Well I have also a lit license registered and the difference in price between a New license and upgrade to standard or suite is 50 USD

sammantix

Post by sammantix » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:04 am

login wrote:
sammantix wrote:I have a similar topic issue here.

Well I have also a lit license registered and the difference in price between a New license and upgrade to standard or suite is 50 USD
50 dollars less for you, you mean? or 50 more? am I somehow mixed up?