Help Warping Stems

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lazlopowder

Help Warping Stems

Post by lazlopowder » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi guys,

just got all the stems to a track I am to remix. This is very unfamiliar territory for me as I have only ever really recorded my own audio. I have loaded all the stems in to ableton and consolidated them so they are all of the same length. I want to warp them together. The problem is I do not know the precise tempo of the track prior and there is a considerable amount of deadspace/noise before any instruments create a signal in the stems. Furthermore there is at least 45 seconds of unrhythmic audio/solo vocal before anything that would be a suitable warping queue begins. However it is still all in time.

I have done searches but in my ignorance I am unclear about what the best way to approach warping all these tracks together would be!

Would greatly appreciate some help!

Many Thanks!
L

cotdagoo

Re: Help Warping Stems

Post by cotdagoo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:29 pm

assuming you were given stems for a track to remix, ask whoever gave you the stems what the tempo is and go from there?

lazlopowder

Post by lazlopowder » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:38 pm

fair options I suppose, but I would much rather learn to comprehend the workings of ableton so I do not have to rely on this. Ok so I think I may have established the tempo of the track as 89bpm - although if its 89pointsomething i dunno what im going to do. The problem is that the first instrument is a vocal with some deadspace before it and it doesnt come in on the first beat of the bar! so when all the tracks are loaded into ableton and the metronome is on it is out of sync. So what would the step by step process be for starting to warp a track like this - how do i find 1.1.1 and warp from there and apply it to all the tracks?

Thanks so much!
L

omutumo

Post by omutumo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:47 am

Start without warp mode on. Pull the start marker to zero on each clip. Everything will (should) now be in time and you can work from that.

Cropping the clips up the the first beat would be a good start from here, find out the bpm from the drum track and warp them uniformly.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:34 am

I have a lesson for this on my website:

http://www.jethroe.com/2011/07/04/how-t ... eton-live/

Please excuse the dust, the website was hacked and I am in the process of fixing it.

And yes, I only listen to The Police "Do Do Do Da Da Da" at the moment, because my daughter is one and a half and is the Ruler Of Everything.
Jesse

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:36 am

Here's the short version: Warp the drums, duplicate the track, drag the next stem into clip view of the duplicated track, repeat for all stems.

Thanks to J. Period, who used Live for 1 month and schooled me on this (I used to select all clips and warp them simultaneously, but his method is much faster).
Jesse