First gig: basic technical help needed!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

mgpg

Re: First gig: basic technical help needed!

Post by mgpg » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:24 pm

andydes wrote:Is there a sound guy and mixing desk or going into DJ mixer? Adapter choice depends on that, but worth having every combination for all situations anyway. Have you seen where you'll set up?

Gaffer (duct) tape. Strap them cables down. Last thing you want is for things to fall out. Even in you can hot swap with a MacBook.

Torch.

Ipod - in case of complete crash. If your system is 99% stable, the 1% chance of it failing will be on the night.
Yes, I've seen the DJ booth. There's a mixer w/ RCA inputs, already hooked up to the sound system.
There are some other DJ's using Serato and I'll only need one free channel on the mixer.

I'm going to try and use my controllers through a USB hub tonight to see if I that works. If it does, I'm getting the NI Audio 2 DJ.

mgpg

Post by mgpg » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:46 pm

OK, just gave the set-up + usb-hub a thorough test run & everything works fine.

So I'll get the NI Audio 2 DJ interface!

What else do I need then?
- 1x jack-to-RCA cable (or two? still confused by this)
- 1x ground loop isolator (or two ..)

That's it, right?

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:40 pm

wait until you get the soundcard. once you've checked out the cables that might come with it, think about how you will plug them into the ground loop isolator or the mixing desk. you might not need any phono to jack converters for this gig - you've said that the mixer is rca (phono) and all of your gear might be phono already.

Post by 102455 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:19 pm

The NI Audio 2 has two stereo 1/4" jack outputs (AKA large headphone style).

Depending on how you set up, you'll need either one stereo 1/4" jack plug to twin phono cable (for mixing internally with a single 'master' output)
or two of the above (for routing separate decks to their own dedicated external mixer channel).

With setup A you can use the second 1/4" output for headphone cue/monitor. With setup B use the external mixer to cue.

mgpg

Post by mgpg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:10 am

102455 wrote:The NI Audio 2 has two stereo 1/4" jack outputs (AKA large headphone style).

Depending on how you set up, you'll need either one stereo 1/4" jack plug to twin phono cable (for mixing internally with a single 'master' output)
or two of the above (for routing separate decks to their own dedicated external mixer channel).

With setup A you can use the second 1/4" output for headphone cue/monitor. With setup B use the external mixer to cue.
I'm going with setup A & I've read this cable is included in the package so I won't need to get anything else. Except for maybe a ground loop isolator + extra twin phono cable then.

One thing still puzzles me though. Take a look at this picture:
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/3/8/2/ ... 9369_o.jpg
What's the difference between the different input types per channel? Line, phono, CD?
Which one should I choose when setting up?

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:38 am

Line probably or CD maybe. CD players tend to have a rather high output level but so do some sound cards.

Definitely not phono !!! phono (and the ground terminal) is for the very low level signals from a record pickup.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

mgpg

Post by mgpg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:40 am

crumhorn wrote:Line probably or CD maybe. CD players tend to have a rather high output level but so do some sound cards.

Definitely not phono !!! phono (and the ground terminal) is for the very low level signals from a record pickup.
I assume the CD ports will already be taken up. Line is then. Right?

Post by 102455 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:29 am

CD, line - same difference. They're higher level signals than you'd get from either a microphone, guitar pickup or a record deck.

Other inputs with similar specs would be 'aux in' and 'record in' or 'tape in'. Same sort of things you'd find on a hifi amp.

The output from a typical sound card will be at line level, so as long as you don't use a mic input or 'phono' (vinyl deck) input
you'll be fine.

FYI some mixers will have phono/line switches on the back, which enable you to use the phono input for line level (when switched to 'line').

mgpg

Post by mgpg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:41 pm

OK thanks a lot guys.

Just went & got myself the NI Audio 2 DJ. I checked the box and it includes 2x 1/4" jack-to-RCA cables, so I'm set.

Also asked the shop owner whether he had ground loop isolators, to which he replied:
"Do you have a Mac? Then you won't need one."

Is that correct?

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:03 pm

No. Although another perspective is that you probably don't need one regardless of the laptop make. I've used one once and I have played through a whole range of PAs. Ground loop isolators are one of those 'ready for anything' bits of kit.

Post by 102455 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:12 pm

I guess it could be said that you're less likely to have an issue with computer originated noise when using a Mac - because there are fewer variables.

Macs are only made by Apple, and in general the build quality is high.

A lot of "ground loop" issues when using PCs are not actually ground loops at all, but noise introduced by poorly made/badly designed PSUs.

Having an isolator with you though, will help to overcome any problems (inc. real ground loops) you may encounter when connecting your kit to "an unknown" i.e. someone elses setup.

mgpg

Post by mgpg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:32 pm

OK, then I'll order one either way.

I found one for less than €10 here:
http://www.new-line.nl/nl/di-box-stagec ... _12698.htm
Anything wrong with that one?

Post by 102455 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Nothing wrong with that, it's the type I use.

mgpg

Post by mgpg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:12 pm

102455 wrote:Nothing wrong with that, it's the type I use.
OK. Was slightly worried because all the other ones I found were €50 and up.