live 9 - sampler changes?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ian_halsall
Posts: 1711
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 am
Location: South London
Contact:

live 9 - sampler changes?

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Any news on this? Like proper automation of sample start, length, etc.?

Automation list editor would be nice for me as well.

Szuumm
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: live 9 - sampler changes?

Post by Szuumm » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:07 pm


synnack
Posts: 2053
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:55 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: live 9 - sampler changes?

Post by synnack » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:14 pm

in short. No.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Image

Acid303
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:07 am

Re: live 9 - sampler changes?

Post by Acid303 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:01 pm

I wish they would give it a real time timestretch function - its a bit stupid not to have it in this day and age

ian_halsall
Posts: 1711
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 am
Location: South London
Contact:

Re: live 9 - sampler changes?

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:49 pm

fucking madness

and they sell it like it's the dogs bollocks

operator and simpler are probably the best

Willyum
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 6:17 am
Location: Jamaica, Queens

Re: live 9 - sampler changes?

Post by Willyum » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:16 pm

ian_halsall wrote:fucking madness

and they sell it like it's the dogs bollocks
WOW, I have suite, so I forgot that they 'sell' Sampler.... It's like what, $75 or something right? That's a shame, almost every other sampler on the market has some form of time-stretch (except Reason). And it's not like it's new tech, I think MPC has had it for like 20 years. Just doesn't make sense.

Willyum
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 6:17 am
Location: Jamaica, Queens

Re: live 9 - sampler changes?

Post by Willyum » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:38 pm

Maybe I should get the new Akai MPC Studio instead of Push + Live 9... At least with that I'll have time stretch!

fabrice segura
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:48 am
Location: nice/france

Re: live 9 - sampler changes?

Post by fabrice segura » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:28 pm

for sampling i use an octatrack;; very good machine with live

glitchrock-buddha
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:29 am
Location: The Ableton Live Forum

Re: live 9 - sampler changes?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:59 pm

Willyum wrote:
ian_halsall wrote:fucking madness

and they sell it like it's the dogs bollocks
WOW, I have suite, so I forgot that they 'sell' Sampler.... It's like what, $75 or something right? That's a shame, almost every other sampler on the market has some form of time-stretch (except Reason). And it's not like it's new tech, I think MPC has had it for like 20 years. Just doesn't make sense.
Live 1 had it in clips. It was the basis of Live. Impulse drum machine had it right away. Yet it didn't make it into their top of the line sampler. Makes no sense.
Professional Shark Jumper.

convex
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:58 pm

Re: live 9 - sampler changes?

Post by convex » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:35 am

ian_halsall wrote:fucking madness

and they sell it like it's the dogs bollocks

operator and simpler are probably the best
I don't think it should be sold as an add-on, it should just be bundled with the program at this point, but it isn't exactly useless, is it?

The automation alone is reason enough for me to use it. I don't turn to it much for multisampled instruments, I tend to go to Kontakt for those, but I rock the LFO's all the time on other material, and the filter is a distinct step up from Simpler. Simpler is quite handy, of course, but I haven't used it much since I got Sampler. No idea how you think Operator factors into this discussion.

convex
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:58 pm

Re: live 9 - sampler changes?

Post by convex » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:44 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Live 1 had it in clips. It was the basis of Live. Impulse drum machine had it right away. Yet it didn't make it into their top of the line sampler. Makes no sense.
Or maybe it makes perfect sense. If we can timestretch with audio clips, why bother to build it into the sampler as well? Like you said, we've been timestretching with Live since day one. Each audio clip is a little sample playback device with several flavors of stretching.

oddstep
Posts: 1732
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Plymouth the great

Re: live 9 - sampler changes?

Post by oddstep » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:12 am

No. It is in impulse. It can be done using lfos, it should be part of sampler, as should the exposing sample and loop start and end to direct user control. I don't care about the why, if i can whistle into a microphone and get midi data I should be able to automate loop start on sampler. Its a question of where time is invested in the development of the software, Operator got some love, show sampler some sugar n'all.

ian_halsall
Posts: 1711
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 am
Location: South London
Contact:

Re: live 9 - sampler changes?

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:25 am

convex wrote:
ian_halsall wrote:fucking madness

and they sell it like it's the dogs bollocks

operator and simpler are probably the best
I don't think it should be sold as an add-on, it should just be bundled with the program at this point, but it isn't exactly useless, is it?

The automation alone is reason enough for me to use it. I don't turn to it much for multisampled instruments, I tend to go to Kontakt for those, but I rock the LFO's all the time on other material, and the filter is a distinct step up from Simpler. Simpler is quite handy, of course, but I haven't used it much since I got Sampler. No idea how you think Operator factors into this discussion.
The problem with the warped clips is you cannot automate the start and end points with enough granularity - you can only go down to like 1/32 I think.

Or you can export the warped clip and use the resulting file - this is tedious and you end up using Simpler.

I mentioned Operator because this was an example of an instrument that is part of Live that is really well thought out and almost everything is automatable - even the oscillator configuration!

glitchrock-buddha
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:29 am
Location: The Ableton Live Forum

Re: live 9 - sampler changes?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:32 pm

convex wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:Live 1 had it in clips. It was the basis of Live. Impulse drum machine had it right away. Yet it didn't make it into their top of the line sampler. Makes no sense.
Or maybe it makes perfect sense. If we can timestretch with audio clips, why bother to build it into the sampler as well? Like you said, we've been timestretching with Live since day one. Each audio clip is a little sample playback device with several flavors of stretching.
Sure we can time stretch in clips, but tell me how to load those clips in drum rack. You can't. So you don't get the basic stretch from impulse. Also, how does time stretch in clips help you play a melodic instruments based on a sample that you want to stay at a constant speed? Map out every clip to a note? People have suggested this and its absurd. No thanks, then that midis channel is mapped permanently and you lose the entire clip functionality of sequencing for the sake of a single instrument. And ifs a pain.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11156
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: live 9 - sampler changes?

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:18 pm

oddstep wrote:No. It is in impulse. It can be done using lfos, it should be part of sampler, as should the exposing sample and loop start and end to direct user control. I don't care about the why, if i can whistle into a microphone and get midi data I should be able to automate loop start on sampler. Its a question of where time is invested in the development of the software, Operator got some love, show sampler some sugar n'all.
+ 10,089,526!

Post Reply