Which flanger do you recommend? For DJ use.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
randyh

Post by randyh » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:57 pm

AdamJay wrote:using the EQ3 as a filter, such as a high pass or low pass filter requires you to set GainLow to -inf dB and then sweep the FreqLow for a Highpass - or For LowPass filtering set the GainHi to -inf dB and sweep the FreqHi.

When doing this you are limited to 50hz through 18khz.

so if i want to put like a high pass filter on a channel with broad program material (kicks, snares, synths), i can only sweep as low as 50hz.
My only two options to get the 50hz and BELOW back is A) disable EQ3, or B) return GainLow to 0dB. Why do that when i can just get all my frequencies in EQ4, at 60% less cpu usage?

have a listen yourself, run program material through the EQ3 with GainLow at -inf dB and sweeping the FreqLow. and if you don't believe your ears, put it through spectrum analysis. you'll see.

Its handy for filtering synths and individual sounds, but for DJing, i dont see why the EQ3 even exists.
ah ok. Yeah, I certainly believe that if you have the first band turned off, you're going to be missing something...

Ok I just messed with it a bit. EQ4 Has the same problem as EQ3 as far as not quite having enough range. The high pass only sweeps to 40Hz and, checked on a spectrum analyzer, it's clear that you're losing bass.

I hear what you're saying about cpu usage. But there is no 48db mode on EQ4 so they're not quite doing the same thing. I'd personally go for EQ3 in 48db mode if I had the cpu to spare. With either one (eq3 or eq4) you're going to have to disable something to get the full frequency spectrum back. EQ3 has the "L M H" buttons and so far they have never clicked on me.

-r
Master of the Interweb

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:53 pm

looking at EQ4 as a highpass filter and EQ3 as a highpass through a spectrum is like night and day. Yea EQ4 loses a slight tail at about 25hz. but not nearly as much as EQ3 does and not across as many frquencies. and most importantly i can hear in a club the difference between them.

as far as 48dB resonance goes,
in EQ4, turn on your 2nd band to temper the 1st band, and adjust the Q on the first band and you an get as much or as little resonance as you want.

and in that its even more customizable that EQ3 because in 1 EQ4 i can have a regular highpass (non resonant) combined with a very resonant Low Pass. in EQ3 its either both are 48dB or neither are 48dB, all or nothing.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:15 pm

pioneer 600 :lol:

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:18 pm

the thing with dj effects is they sound piss, unless you use them properly... you can always tell an ametur or someone whose just got their " new toy" cause of overkill... to be honets flangers in dj sets sound pish, so do filter sweeps BUT ONLY WHEN USED TO MUCH, which people tend to do when they find them....

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:22 pm

Hey guys! Thanks a lot for the excellent feedback!!!

AdamJay:

I have a couple of questions. Summing up, do you say that just because of putting EQ3 on a track, without cutting anything on the controls I instantly limit the frequency content of my material to 50-18000Hz range?

Thanks for the suppatrigga advice too! I'm gonna check what you say! I've used PSP84 in the past, it can create some really nice dub-like delays, but for some reason, I don't like a lot the way the interface works...

As for the CPU thing, I don't care too much, I don't plan to have more than 4 EQ3 running at the same time.

Jeskola:
Then, about using the effects sparingly, I totally agree, anyway I think I will be able to overcome the temptation of messing with weird sounds every 3 minutes! :D

djastroboy:
I'm testing the plugins you said! Are they stable enough?

Thanks all you guys.
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:10 pm

Tomperson
Eq3 as an EQ is great. you will not lose any frequencies using it as a simple EQ.

using it as a Filter however, you will lose more frequencies than if you were to use EQ4 for filtering instead.

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:21 am

tomperson wrote: djastroboy:
I'm testing the plugins you said! Are they stable enough?
Perfectly stable here so far. In fact I see a group of people over at KVR that use ambience as a computer performance test: you know "My computer is so big I can run 14 Ambiences...".
Crank down the quality knob on Ambience and the CPU goes way down.

tomperson

Ambience?

Post by tomperson » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:46 pm

Ambience? couldn't find that on kjaerhusaudio.com...
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:55 am

Celtic

Post by Celtic » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:25 pm

AdamJay wrote:you'll hate me for this,

i recommend that no DJs use flangers EVERRRRRR.

flangers on a dj mix sounds good to about 15% of the people listening, the other 85% cringe.
So you've personally interviewed every clubber in the world and 85% of them told you they hate flanging ?

Wow, thats some going :roll:

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:27 pm

Celtic wrote:
AdamJay wrote:you'll hate me for this,

i recommend that no DJs use flangers EVERRRRRR.

flangers on a dj mix sounds good to about 15% of the people listening, the other 85% cringe.
So you've personally interviewed every clubber in the world and 85% of them told you they hate flanging ?

Wow, thats some going :roll:
all i have to do is look at the dancefloor.

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:45 pm

Wow I heard you can get a nice flange by playing two copies of the same record on two turntables. Heh.