Ableton is the best

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
simpli.cissimus

Re: Ableton is the best

Post by simpli.cissimus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:00 pm

funken wrote:+1

I don't know why certain folks feel compelled to shove Live into the it-can-do-everything-daw-category.

It's called "Live" for a reason, many seem to forget that. Ableton is the company name, Live is the product name :lol:

One observation I've made when I watch alot of producers work in the studio, I'm a big fan of FutureMusic and their "In The Studio" videos, is that you rarely see Ableton being used.

This is interesting because FutureMusic is heavily slanted towards EDM, and you would think all these producers would be running Ableton, since Live is heavily geared toward that industry/domain. However, they're not.

But what I find "funny" is how all these producers feel like they need to "pay homage" to Live eventhough they don't use it much in the studio.

You always hear stuff like "...oh no I do love Ableton Live!", and then they continue to work with Logic/Cubase/S1 etc.

Here's a youtube link -- let me know if I'm wrong about my assumptions. :D

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... kJuHVahSyY

So what does this mean? Well it's pretty much like simpli.cissimus wrote above.
I'm kind of used to some forum people here who are blinded, what actually is sad and funny at once.
So many certified peoples comments make me just see big butt-kisser too. :roll: LOL

Rarely there are some who do constructive critics and that is how it should be.
And that is the only way to progress and make software, which is already good, better in all aspects.
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

condra

Post by condra » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:06 pm

OzWozEre wrote: But what I find "funny" is how all these producers feel like they need to "pay homage" to Live eventhough they don't use it much in the studio.
You always hear stuff like "...oh no I do love Ableton Live!", and then they continue to work with Logic/Cubase/S1 etc.
Here's a youtube link -- let me know if I'm wrong about my assumptions. :D

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... kJuHVahSyY

:lol: funny

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:17 pm

secretly?

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:17 pm

Some people here act similar like Football-Hooligans defending his team no matter what.
This includes ridiculous comments and pointless reasons.

But all that is no reason to be blind...

I am sure you love Live, and so am I too...
I wouldn't be here if not !
...on the other side I stay honest to Live and say what is true, not more not less.

Live isn't perfect like no DAW is, but has to be fixed in so many basic features
that it really hurts when you think about it.

Get over with it, all your Hooligan behavior isn't helping.
Not Ableton and note Live !
We know now who are the greatest Fans of Live...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:22 pm

it's roots.

you can elevate your game to however high you can go but you'll never shake where you've been.

once a piece of shit DAW lover
always a piece of shit DAW lover.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Sage

Post by Sage » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:33 pm

simpli.cissimus wrote:Mixing is O.K. but not perfect, if you use VST plugins,
Because the internal effects like the EQ8 are not close to be good.
So I shouldn't use Logic for mixing because it's compressor is crap? Could say the same about a SSL 4k console as well...

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:23 pm

Nah, simpli.cissimus, I think you're starting to veer off the mark and go into unrealistically negative territory :P

Especially when using 3rd party plugins, Live is surprisingly versatile, and the resulting quality is top notch. There are problems for sure (I'm particularly upset about automation not being in sync with plugin delay compensation), but overall it's a remarkably capable piece of software.

Credit where credit is due, that is. I find comments in the vein of "LOL, you better not do this in Live!" only annoying.

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:52 pm

Nokatus wrote:Nah, simpli.cissimus, I think you're starting to veer off the mark and go into unrealistically negative territory :P

Especially when using 3rd party plugins, Live is surprisingly versatile, and the resulting quality is top notch. There are problems for sure (I'm particularly upset about automation not being in sync with plugin delay compensation), but overall it's a remarkably capable piece of software.

Credit where credit is due, that is. I find comments in the vein of "LOL, you better not do this in Live!" only annoying.
Tell me one mastering engineer or studio that uses Live for mastering, then I'll pull back my comment !
...but for a amateur mastering it's totally fine and acceptable.

And I really don't care if i annoy anyone with my comments,
...as that wasn't or will be my purpose!

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:00 pm

simpli.cissimus wrote:Tell me one mastering engineer or studio that uses Live for mastering, then I'll pull back my comment !
Yep. From the point of view of mastering engineers and professional mastering studio use, there are format considerations and other technicalities involved which Live (of course) doesn't include. But when mastering is mentioned the way you did ("LOL, better not try this in Live!" or something like that), I get the feeling it gives an impression of not reaching "that finalized sound" with Live. Most people reading the comment will associate it simply with the act of polishing and finalizing the sound of a mixdown with professional level care - and yeah, Live is 100% fine for that, using 3rd party plugins.
simpli.cissimus wrote:And I really don't care if i annoy anyone with my comments,
:) Yeah. No problem. Just putting the comment in perspective.

cstump

Post by cstump » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:46 pm

I don't see how anyone posting a comment that Live is a "do everything daw" is so offensive to some, if that is what they believe so what, this is Ableton's forum and by jiminies it is to be expected.

Now if they post it elsewhere I'm sure the "other" DAW fanbois would rip them a new one and for some to expect objectivity and no one to rave about Live on Ableton's own board in my opinion is very unreasonable.

Let the title of this thread stand and don't sweat the small s@#t.

my dollars worth.
Quote:"There's a Bitwig thread born every second"

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:18 am

Nokatus wrote:
simpli.cissimus wrote:Tell me one mastering engineer or studio that uses Live for mastering, then I'll pull back my comment !
Yep. From the point of view of mastering engineers and professional mastering studio use, there are format considerations and other technicalities involved which Live (of course) doesn't include. But when mastering is mentioned the way you did ("LOL, better not try this in Live!" or something like that), I get the feeling it gives an impression of not reaching "that finalized sound" with Live. Most people reading the comment will associate it simply with the act of polishing and finalizing the sound of a mixdown with professional level care - and yeah, Live is 100% fine for that, using 3rd party plugins.
simpli.cissimus wrote:And I really don't care if i annoy anyone with my comments,
:) Yeah. No problem. Just putting the comment in perspective.
I agree with you, and we might misunderstood each other.
No point to be a hard head...

It's just that some praise Live to where it not belongs.
It has the potential, but till then we'll have to wait a while.