Seems like the last 3 years were mainly the 64 bit re-write

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
UCAudio

Seems like the last 3 years were mainly the 64 bit re-write

Post by UCAudio » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Seems like the last 3 years were mainly the 64 bit re-write... and Push. I'm surprised Ableton didn't wait and launch the 64-bit versions as part of Live 9. People would have felt like they were getting more with the new release. For Live 9 we get a few new fx, audio to midi, a few midi note tricks, and recording automation to clips (that may not stay in time), and a tweaked browser. Doesn't quite feel like a new version. 64-bit and Push are awesome though. I wonder if some of the thousands of other good feature requests will make their way into Live 9 updates.

simpli.cissimus

Re: Seems like the last 3 years were mainly the 64 bit re-write

Post by simpli.cissimus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:02 pm

...+1 , you just nailed it !!!
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

convex

Post by convex » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:35 pm

No, he didn't nail it. What do you think is missing, exactly? How should the developers have spent their time if not adding numerous and, in some cases, long-requested workflow, effect, and file management improvements to the software, while also designing a ridiculous hardware controller? Not to mention that Max for Live is now bundled w/ suite. This feels very much like a new version.

Let's not forget that when Live 8 was released, it wasn't what many of us would describe as the most stable platform. I've had more Ableton crashes with this version than with any of the previous 7 iterations, by a large margin - maybe more than all of the others combined. A good deal of energy during that three years was rightly spent getting Live 8 to work properly before trying to get the next version out the door. I'll take stability and incremental improvements over...what is it again that you wanted?

You 64 bit guys crack me up. Finally, 64 bits! Now we can start recording some real music up in this bitch.

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Ha, you don't think being able to use more than 3+ gigs of memory is important in a modern DAW? To me the 64-bit upgrade is amazing and took A LOT of work. For what I do, I need it. I understand some people might not. Also, I'm blown away by Push. The rest is cool, but come on... what's missing?? Check out the last 3 years worth of posts here: viewforum.php?f=3

Don't get me wrong, I'm still really excited about Live 9 and it is cool they're not charging more money for Max anymore. Just hoping we see more in future 9.x updates.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:04 pm

64 bit updates can be a BIG pain if the code is in c/c++ (which it is).

Thousands and thousans of variables to check...

Horrible testing...

convex

Post by convex » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Sure, 64 bit is important. Moreover, it was inevitable. But the lack of it did not stop anyone from working. People who really needed 64 bit before Ableton got around to it were using the platforms that offered it. Simple. Meanwhile, I don't recall seeing many people running Cubase onstage.

You still haven't mentioned one thing you think should have been included that wasn't. Of course there are many other features that could be added, but only so many things make the cut. That's never going to change. What's been added/improved in this version isn't notably less, if at all, than what's been rolled out in previous versions.

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:42 pm

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. The 64 bit implementation was a HUGE effort. From a developmental perspective... it's the biggest change. I think they would have updated more devices and processes if the 64 bit upgrade wasn't such a massive undertaking. That's why I'm hoping we'll see more updates roll out with 9.x updates now that the 64-bit change is in place.

I will say that I'm relatively new to live. Only been using it for about a year, so I have no idea what kind of updates were made from 7 to 8. Were there only 5 or 6 things added?

What I personally would have liked to see added/updated doesn't really matter... everyone has their own wishlist, but I would have liked to see delay compensation fixed, timestretch in sampler, some broken stuff fixed like sample library import to sampler, more than 8 macros, quantize to grid in arrange view, and basically just a larger number of general improvements to devices. Not complaining though. 64-bit and Push are awesome and a massive effort to develop.

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:43 pm

convex wrote:You still haven't mentioned one thing you think should have been included that wasn't.
Plugin delay compensation of track automation when inserting latency inducing VST/AU plugins, as well as plugin delay compensation of track audio and automation when inserting tempo based VST/AU plugins in a series following latency inducing plugins. I genuinely expected that this would be addressed in the next full release version, and am surprised that it wasn't.

convex

Post by convex » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:54 pm

I guess I'm just used to always not getting things I wanted and also getting some things I didn't know I wanted. I haven't looked back at the release notes for previous Live versions, but the amount of new features/improvements isn't wildly different from past updates. I seem to remember others in the past being skimpier, actually.

In any case, I share your hope that more fixes trickle out in the coming year.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:30 pm

Akshara wrote:
convex wrote:You still haven't mentioned one thing you think should have been included that wasn't.
Plugin delay compensation of track automation when inserting latency inducing VST/AU plugins, as well as plugin delay compensation of track audio and automation when inserting tempo based VST/AU plugins in a series following latency inducing plugins. I genuinely expected that this would be addressed in the next full release version, and am surprised that it wasn't.
what is the problem here? I run several vsts and never notice any delay - maybe my ears are bad like everything else